Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Option for Edge Sport (2016-2018)

snmjim

If you feel you don't need the exotic calibers & rotors & pads that Xtra & Root have on their Sports but feel your braking system has the caliber pressure/power you require but with better pads & rotors it would be all you need then try the Power Stop Pad & Rotor kit #K7231

Comes with pads, rotors and all replacement hardware for all four wheels.

I purchased mine from www.rockauto.com for under $300. after the Rock Auto discount & PowerStop rebate... :thumbsup:

post-46284-0-62337400-1541004229_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-53923500-1541004245_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 6

I believe a fellow Gen 2 owner has the Power Stop kit on his vehicle as well. Likes them so far.

As far as the HID lights, you would have to swap the headlamp assemblies. I don't know if they still separate fuses for each HID headlamp, vs a single fuse for the halogens, but that is another (minor consideration).

Back to brakes!!! Wish the BBKs were more affordable, but there is always Rotora if you namedrop Xtra in the right ear, or so I hear :)

• Like 2

Off topic, but I was rummaging around the rock auto website and saw I could order the HID lights from the Titanium trim. I would imagine these could be a direct swap on the sport, but I am looking for a second opinion. Thoughts?

Not trying to harsh you but we must have some topic discipline in order for members to be able to find what you have to offer.

So please going forward put your post either under a relative topic or start a new topic string yourself.

Thank you for your support...;-)

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

Not trying to harsh you but we must have some topic discipline in order for members to be able to find what you have to offer.

So please going forward put your post either under a relative topic or start a new topic string yourself.

Thank you for your support...;-)

My bad my bad. It's just every time I log into this forum I learn about new websites and modifications and it's all so exciting! But back to brakes. I like the price of the package, but how much of an improvement are these over OEM?

• Like 1

My bad my bad. It's just every time I log into this forum I learn about new websites and modifications and it's all so exciting! But back to brakes. I like the price of the package, but how much of an improvement are these over OEM?

Not sure how to answer that however, being a road racer and not a dragger I can only relate to high speed braking and I noted no fade and strong consistant braking. Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had the same kit sitting for 2 months in the garage, no damn time to install. Plan to do brake fluid, ss lines, rear swaybar, F/R links, caliper covers, and winter tire swap all at the same time. 

Any tips for the install? Any issues with the install?  Did your pads have any chipping on them? I ordered 2 sets of front and rear pads and the fronts both have chipping. (ordered everything from rock auto) 
Thanks!

On 10/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, snmjim said:

If you feel you don't need the exotic calibers & rotors & pads that Xtra & Root have on their Sports but feel your braking system has the caliber pressure/power you require but with better pads & rotors it would be all you need then try the Power Stop Pad & Rotor kit #K7231

I purchased mine from www.rockauto.com for under $300. after the Rock Auto discount & PowerStop rebate... :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezz

12 hours ago, Beezz said:

Ive had the same kit sitting for 2 months in the garage, no damn time to install. Plan to do brake fluid, ss lines, rear swaybar, F/R links, caliper covers, and winter tire swap all at the same time. 

Any tips for the install? Any issues with the install?  Did your pads have any chipping on them? I ordered 2 sets of front and rear pads and the fronts both have chipping. (ordered everything from rock auto) 
Thanks! 

Beezz,

All looks like the makings of a thorough project.

Tips/Reco/Comments:

- The caliper rubber grommets for the slide pins that come with the Power Stop pad kit should be greased inside & out with a non rubber deteriorating grease to ease install & movement, it can be a battle without it unless there's a special tool or technique I lack,

- Stabilizer bar link locks to prevent horizontal shifting of the bar, especially since the tolerance from bar end to electronic brake servo will be close.

- H&R Springs from Tirerack

No, I didn't have any chipping on my pads however, I can't comment in detail without some Pics.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, snmjim said:

Thanks for this informative post.

I'm happy with the the original brakes performance and was planning to stick with OEM pads, but recently I've been reconsidering that.

My 2017 Sport with 21" wheels is at two years and 39K miles, and since a couple of months ago I've notice and heard a slight vibration from the front when applying brakes at 70 mph, but below 50 mph its quiet and smooth - this had me start searching for a way to address this slight vibration and this led me to your post.

When I checked the pads at 36K miles they still had around 50% material left, but will be installing a Power Stop kit before they're actually due for replacement because of the vibration - a shame to spend money on this when the pads have so much material left on them.

I'm thinking of just doing the front with the Power Stop K7143 and the $15 rebate which makes it $159

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2017,edge,2.7l+v6+turbocharged,3434543,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,13824

Please confirm that it is the 345mm Front Rotors.

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

Edited by 1004ron

35 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I'm happy with the the original brakes performance and was planning to stick with OEM pads, but recently I've been reconsidering that.

My 2017 Sport with 21" wheels is at two years and 39K miles, and since a couple of months ago I've notice and heard a slight vibration from the front when applying brakes at 70 mph, but below 50 mph its quiet and smooth - this had me start searching for a way to address this slight vibration and this led me to your post.

When I checked the pads at 36K miles they still had around 50% material left, but will be installing a Power Stop kit before they're actually due for replacement because of the vibration.

I'm thinking of just doing the front with the Power Stop K7143 and the $15 rebate which makes it $159

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2017,edge,2.7l+v6+turbocharged,3434543,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,13824

Don't know how you feel about Auto Anything but if you use this code EM10WBN010XB  you can get 10% off, free shipping and not tax!

Total comes out to $177.62 compared to $199.89 (Including $15 rebate that you have to wait for!)

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/power-stop-z23-evolution-brake-kits

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1004ron said:

When I checked the pads at 36K miles they still had around 50% material left, but will be installing a Power Stop kit before they're actually due for replacement because of the vibration - a shame to spend money on this when the pads have so much material left on them.

Please confirm that it is the 345mm Front Rotors.

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

From my research on RockAuto and the 2016 Ford Edge Sport in general which applies to late model 2015 thru 2018 you have the 345mm rotors, I also confirmed this with RockAuto & Power Stop. Therefore you are ordering the correct kit however, you may want to give strong consideration to replacing all brakes based on age alone due to warping & rotor hot spots & micro fractures which could lead to a very ugly outcome.

Being 62 and that project being like 12 projects ago there is no way for me to remember socket sizes, sorry there however if you don't have a complete compliment of tools you may want to solicit some help, especially with the overhaul parts, especially the rubber slider bushings.

Your caliper pistons do not require any special treatment to retract the pistons just use the standard retracting tool.

BIG NOTE:

Per the factory service manual (FSM) you MUST go into the dash menu and put your brakes into the service/maintenance mode before start of work and taken out of that mode once service is complete!

NEVER CUT CORNERS ON SAFETY ITEMS ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO Hi-Po APPLICATIONS!!!...:hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, 1004ron said:

Can those that have done the front brakes confirm that its a 12mm hex socket needed to take the caliper off.

Also, is there any special techniques for retracting the caliper pistons?

I can confirm that it is an 11mm hex socket that's needed - I had a metric set that I bought a while back in preparation for this job, then on the day found it lacks the needed 11mm and I ran around to all the stores in my area and none have an 11mm , not on its own and not in a set, so in one shop I grabbed a digital calliper and found an imperial set and the 7/16" was a good match so bought that set.

The 7/16" is a very good snug fit.

Brake job went smooth, the rotors needed a beating to break free of the corrosion.

Can't comment on braking performance just yet as I've only done the break-in, but can confirm that it got rid of the vibration/drone when braking at 60mph and above, and they look good.

Complete front kit order on Amazon for $170 (retailer is Jeggs) and two day shipping from the manufacturer in Chicago IL - goods received in perfect order.

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3