New Edge ST, time to tune!

HYPERsonic007

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2019 Edge ST on Saturday. Its very nice and I am very happy with it so far.

I have plans to do a stage 1 tune to it.  I called Livernois motorsports today and they apparently have a tuner for it for 600$.

I also contacted unleased tuning but they are still in the process of getting a formal tune for this particular vehicle.

Livernois told me they had a 30ish wheel HP gain from their tune.  I will probably go with Livernois.

However, before I do this, can Ford detect if there has ever been a tune on the vehicle in case I need a service?  Of course I would uninstall the flash tune prior to bringing to the dealer but not sure if there is a black box or something.

Thanks,

Rick

Oh yes, and I forgot to ask, anyone know how to remove the front license plate bracket? I prefer the look without a front license plate

Edited by HYPERsonic007
  • Like 1

I'd hold off for a while and give the the other tuners time to develop their tunes for this model. First to the party isn't always the best plan.

There are alternatives to overwriting the ECM and leaving yourself vulnerable to potential warranty denials.

https://www.jmschip.com/turbocharger-electronic-boost-controller-bx600027/

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HYPERsonic007 said:

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2019 Edge ST on Saturday. Its very nice and I am very happy with it so far.

I have plans to do a stage 1 tune to it.  I called Livernois motorsports today and they apparently have a tuner for it for 600$.

I also contacted unleased tuning but they are still in the process of getting a formal tune for this particular vehicle.

Livernois told me they had a 30ish wheel HP gain from their tune.  I will probably go with Livernois.

However, before I do this, can Ford detect if there has ever been a tune on the vehicle in case I need a service?  Of course I would uninstall the flash tune prior to bringing to the dealer but not sure if there is a black box or something.

Thanks,

Rick

Oh yes, and I forgot to ask, anyone know how to remove the front license plate bracket? I prefer the look without a front license plate

When you are tuned and revert back to stock. Soft codes are thrown (Forscan can remove them) though your miles since flash, key strokes since flash...etc etc all reset back to 0. So if Ford wanted to be picky and you come in with 10,000 miles and 2 key strokes, they know somethings fishy. With all that said. I had a cracked transmission housing and after 6 long months of my car at the dealership back and forth saying they fixed it and it was still leaking. My car went in with the tune on it and they replaced my housing as they said it was irregular from the factory. Livernois has the fastest Edge Sport in the 1/4. You wont be disappointed with them and is probably a 100% better option than the JMS product

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 5:12 PM, Turbostang91 said:

Did you get the tuning done

I got it done on mine.  With an App on my phone and a WiFi OBDII device I recorded a 5.81 0-60 stock and a 5.499 with the 93 tune.  I ordered a Dragy to get even better numbers, although I will not go back to the stock tune just to see what it gets.  Lol

Heads up for car owners under factory warranty with a tune . Be sure you put the car back to stock tune whenever you take the car to the dealer . Even for an oil change . If the dealer finds out you have a tune you can jeaporize your warranty. 

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not true.

As I understand if you have a tune and your window won't go up that will be covered.  But if you have a tune and you twist an axle or do any damage that could of been caused by the tune such as drivetrain damage then they might not cover it. I just found this:

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.

The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must first demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

Heads up for car owners under factory warranty with a tune . Be sure you put the car back to stock tune whenever you take the car to the dealer . Even for an oil change . If the dealer finds out you have a tune you can jeaporize your warranty. 

How does having a tune pertain to getting an oil change done?  All they do at the stealership is take down your info and enter it into the system. They do not hook anything up to your car that would require them to see if your'e running a stock or tuned calibration file. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

How does having a tune pertain to getting an oil change done?  All they do at the stealership is take down your info and enter it into the system. They do not hook anything up to your car that would require them to see if your'e running a stock or tuned calibration file. 

You are correct , but what happens if they do a diagnostic check using the OBD port just to see if any codes pop up?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xtra said:

You are correct , but what happens if they do a diagnostic check using the OBD port just to see if any codes pop up?

Tis is true very true indeed. You must get all kinds of love over on the west coast. I haven't been to a dealer yet that will touch anything they are not asked to look at.  Unless you have a check engine light on while getting an oil change they IME they will not check for any OBD errors!

I've had a dealer tell me that they could not diagnosis a issue, because the issue resolved itself while they were diagnosing it. They said they are not paid to diagnosis issues that are not prevalent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, onyxbfly said:

Tis is true very true indeed. You must get all kinds of love over on the west coast. I haven't been to a dealer yet that will touch anything they are not asked to look at.  Unless you have a check engine light on while getting an oil change they IME they will not check for any OBD errors!

I've had a dealer tell me that they could not diagnosis a issue, because the issue resolved itself while they were diagnosing it. They said they are not paid to diagnosis issues that are not prevalent. 

Wow that is disappointing , Every time I take my car in for an oil change at the dealership I get what they call the" Works " at no extra charge it includes :

* Oil change and filter Synthetic blend unless I pay more for Full synthetic.

• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
• Brake Inspection
• Vehicle Checkup .. This is where they get into the OBD Port
• Fluid Top-Off
• Battery Test
• Filter Check
• Belts and Hoses Check

They do more than this . They do an entire undercharge check as well including drive line, suspension, check for leaks and  exhaust system. And I get a report as well. 

Vista Ford takes good care of me. I guess we do get more love in the West..:) LOl  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Wow that is disappointing , Every time I take my car in for an oil change at the dealership I get what they call the" Works " at no extra charge it includes :

* Oil change and filter Synthetic blend unless I pay more for Full synthetic.

• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
• Brake Inspection
• Vehicle Checkup .. This is where they get into the OBD Port
• Fluid Top-Off
• Battery Test
• Filter Check
• Belts and Hoses Check

They do more than this . They do an entire undercharge check as well including drive line, suspension, check for leaks and  exhaust system. And I get a report as well. 

Vista Ford takes good care of me. I guess we do get more love in the West..:) LOl  

They have the works over here as well. How much work they're actually doing is up to the individual dealership.  I tend to stay out of the dealership unless its for warranty work.  Last time I went in for something routine they decided to show me both my in cabin air filter and engine air filter. 

He said my filters are dirty and they need to be changed. It was some asinine price like $80-$100 for the engine air filter and $60-$80 for the in cabin filter.   He said that since I was getting the oil change and some warranty work done they would do both for $100 or so.

I told him that I would pay for the cost of the filter and not the labor. He asked why...

A ) I didn't ask him to check them!
B ) Unbeknownst to them I use a charcoal in cabin filter. Im sure to the naked eye it may look dirty but It was recently changed so I'm pretty sure that it was good.

C ) More importantly the old filters are removed. The same labor that is used to put the old ones back they can put the new ones in!

Service writer looked at me like I grew horns on my head.   This has happened to me a few dealerships. I tend to do my own oil changes or I take her to a shop that I trust. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Perblue said:

How much do you pay for that? Not that I want them do do all that, I like to maintain my own vehicles but I don't know a dealer that will scan codes for less than $100 on top of anything else they have to do. 

The works package cost $40-50 bucks depending on dealership and whether or not you want to pay extra for full synthetic.  They often have coupons that will take $5-$10 bucks off. 

• Like 2

When I bought my car I got a extended maintenance plan and warranty . I get oil changes, wipers, filters including the cabins , brakes possibly some other things as well. All covered. I just drop it off and they do everything no charge. Tires are not covered .  

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, HYPERsonic007 said:

First congrats on the new ST :happyfeet:. The license plater bracket has to be drilled out . After you drill out the rivets you will need to plug the holes. There are a few choices when doing this. I got some black plugs for the holes at Pep Boys or you can get color matched plugs online. 

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/license-plate-hole-cover    I used something similar to these low price plugs.

Well here you are, two choices to get you started. I am sure there are others plugs available, just have to look a bit.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

The only time my dealer would ever take the time and energy to hook up the computer to the OBDII port is it there is a problem and to do the NYS inspection, they use the OBDII to check emissions readiness, and that is it.  Believe me I try to avoid letting my dealer doing anything to my car.  Heck I have a 'lease care' on it that covers oil and tire rotate and I do not even let them do the tire rotate because they mess up the crappy lug nut covers when they do.  I doubt they would even notice a tune pulling it in for an oil change, it does behave differently than the stock tune when hitting the gas. 

• Like 2