2018 Ford Edge USB Ports

s&wowner

I'm pretty sure that they shut off after a while. A friend of mine tried to make them to always stay on by changing some parameters using Forscan but to no avail… It bothers me because I'd like to be able to leave my cell phone in the car so it gets charged (while I'm shopping or eating in a restaurant) but it doesn't work 'cause when I get back, there is nomore power in the usb outlet… :( I also tried using an aftermarket charger which plugs into the lighter socket but it's the same problem. :gaah:

Claude.

P.S: Does someone know how to have some constant 12v. in the lighter socket?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

They are Forscan codes.

Ok - whatever that means :) - I haven't a clue but it must be important to the more technical crowd.  :)

Anyway - I left my DashCam running (plug'd into the USB port) and it shut off within a minute after shutting off my car and leaving it to get some coffee.  

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions.  This thread can now be closed.

Edited by s&wowner

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Forscan is software that allows you to "hack" your vehicle computer and turn on or off certain features or adjust parameters.   Think of it like the registry editor in Windoze.   That's the only way to change how the power points function.

Now this old fart understands.  Thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, cmantis said:

If you want a dashcam that records in parking mode you can hardwire it. I just recently redid mine to run this way.

While figuring the USB thingy - I read about people hooking up their DashCams through the rear view mirror.  So, I went to my dealer yesterday and they looked up my vin (to see my options, etc.) and provided a diagram of the wiring in my mirror.  I identified the hot wire that works off the ignition and ground wire and plan on running my DashCam through the mirror.  

3 hours ago, s&wowner said:

While figuring the USB thingy - I read about people hooking up their DashCams through the rear view mirror.  So, I went to my dealer yesterday and they looked up my vin (to see my options, etc.) and provided a diagram of the wiring in my mirror.  I identified the hot wire that works off the ignition and ground wire and plan on running my DashCam through the mirror.  

Check where the mirror gets its power from, I believe that the mirror power would turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

21 minutes ago, FordGuy1 said:

Check where the mirror gets its power from, I believe that the mirror power would turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Yuppa!  Their are two hot wires - one works off the ignition switch and the other is constant.  I already took the ole meter out and verified (according to the diagram) the wire (blue/brown) running to the ignition.  Shut off the car - power shuts off of that wire.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, cmantis said:

Man that probably would have made things easier/cleaner for me but at least I didnt have to go splicing in.

Actually, if you look behind your mirror you will see a plug with wires going into into your mirror.  You can buy "pins" that you solder to the end of your power chord and they slide right alongside the wire with power and the other wire with ground.  That is it!  The only splicing is to cut the end off your power cord and solder the pins to each lead (hot and ground).  I attached a picture of my mirror and wires BEFORE the actually connection from my DashCam.  

dashcam.jpg

Edited by s&wowner

Well you just might want to have auto turn off working correctly because this might be the cause of a problem I had. Twice, my battery ran down to nothing. I did not leave anything on.... I do not know what cause the battery to drain twice for sure and I would like to know. 

This is a battery that came with my car ford edge sport 2018 with 6,000 miles. and let me advise anyone who is reading this that without any electrical power that is a whole lot of things that do not work. 

Try taking it out of park drive. ?

Try to release the parking brake ?

Try unlocking the door. ?

The call out dude could not get to my battery to jump it and he wanted to push the car back aways to get to the hood. Jumper cables did not reach. 

Well, he could not unlock the door to take the car out of park and release the hood to push the car back or attach cables. 

Well, this guys and gals who do this job just might not know how to handle each type of make and model when it comes to getting the job done. I had to go look this info up on YOUTUBE!

My car was in my driveway and using my computer was easy. Imagine somewhere with no connection to the internet.

The owners manual does not go into this much detail. Sync 3 features also are like that. You have to go watch a video to get an answer. Well, if you have internet then hey man NO PROBLEM. This is  a gap in all this sweet technology that we love. How does Ford solve this Information gap? 

5 hours ago, aerodarts said:

Try taking it out of park drive. ?

Try to release the parking brake ?

Try unlocking the door?

1) It is stated in the owners manual how to manually override the Brake-Shift Interlock.

2) yes, unfortunately you can't, you have to connect a power supply to release the parking brake, though newer models (I think 2019+) now have a manual cable mechanism for such cases. 

3) It is stated in the owners manual to remove the cover on the driver door handle & use the key blade from the fob to unlock manually.

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

Yes, but there is a valid issue, with no battery the parking brake cannot be released on the 2015-2018 Edge. 

Everyone should have a battery jump starter at home and in the vehicle if you’re experiencing battery problems.  That eliminates the need to move the vehicle to jump start it.   The new lithium ion models are great and can also power electronic devices.   Granted it won’t help if you’re away from home and have an unexpected complete failure but those seem to be rare.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, akirby said:

Forscan is software that allows you to "hack" your vehicle computer and turn on or off certain features or adjust parameters.   Think of it like the registry editor in Windoze.   That's the only way to change how the power points function.

Where would one aquire a copy of this forscan software and what us needed for it to interface with the vehicle?

On 12/19/2018 at 12:37 AM, s&wowner said:

Hi, not sure what MY you have , but could you please post the wire colors for the permanent and switched +12 wires that go to the mirror? That would be super useful to a number of people (me included) who ask this kind of question fairly regularly. Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, timfountain said:

Hi, not sure what MY you have , but could you please post the wire colors for the permanent and switched +12 wires that go to the mirror? That would be super useful to a number of people (me included) who ask this kind of question fairly regularly. Thank you in advance.

fill in info, free diagrams

http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...