ST gets horrible review

Nick Halstead

Rebuttal ? :

As the Canadian boys point out the Porsche Macan S is the closest competitor to the Edge ST and the ST is just as fast. The base Macan S costs $13,045 USD more than the base Edge ST. If you were to put $10,000 USD into the Edge ST in aftermarket upgrades it would walk all over the Macan GTS $68,900 USD and you would still have $3,045 USD in the bank from the S or $16,545 USD from the GTS.  But you don't need to put 10K into the ST to have a Macan GTS killer . A $700 tune is all you need. A tune will not only give you more HP and TQ  it also addresses how the transmission shifts.  The Edge is bigger, can haul more stuff, it is less expensive to maintain and it can park itself.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xtra said:

Rebuttal ? :

As the Canadian boys point out the Porsche Macan S is the closest competitor to the Edge ST and the ST is just as fast. The base Macan S costs $13,045 USD more than the base Edge ST. If you were to put $10,000 USD into the Edge ST in aftermarket upgrades it would walk all over the Macan GTS $68,900 USD and you would still have $3,045 USD in the bank from the S or $16,545 USD from the GTS.  But you don't need to put 10K into the ST to have a Macan GTS killer . A $700 tune is all you need. A tune will not only give you more HP and TQ  it also addresses how the transmission shifts.  The Edge is bigger, can haul more stuff, it is less expensive to maintain and it can park itself.  

if anyone is shopping for a Macan a Ford is not even crossing their mind, let alone maintaining a car with a warranty that they wont own outside of warranty cause they will just upgrade with the times. Plus the real price to maintain an Edge Sport at this rate is going to be really high with everyones issues while under warranty still continuing after they are supposedly fixed. My biggest complaint when I bought my Edge Sport in 2015, no factory BBK, rental fleet car exhaust note, didn't like lower valance and no sporty seats. and here in 2019 I still have the exact same complaints with the remodal. The Edge Sport/ST is literally in a class of it's own, it's half the price of a 4 Leaf Stelvio. I just feel like Ford could have done so much more to attract buyers other than marketing it as a super car contender. With that said, I had no clue the electronic exhaust sound was that bad. I think that is worst than the rear lower valance. Ford should be ashamed of that!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

if anyone is shopping for a Macan a Ford is not even crossing their mind, let alone maintaining a car with a warranty that they wont own outside of warranty cause they will just upgrade with the times. Plus the real price to maintain an Edge Sport at this rate is going to be really high with everyones issues while under warranty still continuing after they are supposedly fixed. My biggest complaint when I bought my Edge Sport in 2015, no factory BBK, rental fleet car exhaust note, didn't like lower valance and no sporty seats. and here in 2019 I still have the exact same complaints with the remodal. The Edge Sport/ST is literally in a class of it's own, it's half the price of a 4 Leaf Stelvio. I just feel like Ford could have done so much more to attract buyers other than marketing it as a super car contender. With that said, I had no clue the electronic exhaust sound was that bad. I think that is worst than the rear lower valance. Ford should be ashamed of that!

I have no motivation to trade my Sport at this point in time... In fact, I am enjoying it more now than when I got it!

21 hours ago, Xtra said:

Rebuttal ? :

And after spending that $10k on the Ford, you would still not have a Porsche....

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought the Edge was more Cayenne sized and Macan was more Escape/MKC sized.

Cayenne is larger, it's same as Audi Q7/VW Tourareg/Porsche Cayenne. 194″ L x 78″ W x 66-67″ H

Macan, 184-185″ L x 76″ W x 63-64″ H  is actualy closer to Edge 188″ L x 76″ W x 69″ H, than it is Escape, 178″ L x 75″ W x 66″ H

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MaX83_ZA said:

And after spending that $10k on the Ford, you would still not have a Porsche....

Correct you would have an American car, a Ford SUV no less that would be faster to 60mph, faster in the 1/4 mile, faster around a road course than the allmighty  Porsche Macan GTS that you just spent $68,900 dollars on.  Think how embarrassing it would be for that Porsche Macan GTS owner who just got smoked by a Ford Edge ST. Think what one could do if you put that entire $26,500 price difference into the  Edge ST  :) . Will it ever be a Porsche ... no, thank goodness for that. :ford:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

a Ford SUV no less that would be faster to 60mph, faster in the 1/4 mile, faster around a road course than the allmighty  Porsche Macan GTS that you just spent $68,900 dollars on.  

Actually, the Mecan GTS is faster than the Edge ST. The ST might outrun a base Mecan, but not a Mecan S, GTS or Turbo.

Motor Trend's review of the 2018 Mecan GTS - 0-60mph in 4.4s - Figure Eight in 24.9 sec @ 0.76 g (avg)

Motor Trend's review of the Edge ST - 0-60mph in 6.1s - Figure Eight in 26.0 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Xtra said:

Correct you would have an American car, a Ford SUV no less that would be faster to 60mph, faster in the 1/4 mile, faster around a road course than the allmighty  Porsche Macan GTS that you just spent $68,900 dollars on.  Think how embarrassing it would be for that Porsche Macan GTS owner who just got smoked by a Ford Edge ST. Think what one could do if you put that entire $26,500 price difference into the  Edge ST  :) . Will it ever be a Porsche ... no, thank goodness for that. :ford:

We are only comparing performance though, in reality, there's no way you can even compare an Edge ST to any Porsche SUV as a whole experience. There's zero luxury inside the Edge Sport or ST as far as materials. I'm a realest, love my sport, but it's a mass marketed and built cheaply to provide maximum profit to it's manufacturer while still entertaining those who want a tad of performance in said vehicle type. Dealer experience, I'd say drastically different also. Shit just on my Audi it's a huge difference. Take my base A3 in for it's FREE service and walk out with a S5 Loaner for the day. Take my Edge in for warranty work, walk out with a base Focus. Edge has spent 7 months at the dealer since 2015. She still kicking though. Literally the only thing you can really compare the ST to is a Sport and well...that just upsets ST owners who think they have some hot new invention.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

We are only comparing performance though, in reality, there's no way you can even compare an Edge ST to any Porsche SUV as a whole experience. There's zero luxury inside the Edge Sport or ST as far as materials. I'm a realest, love my sport, but it's a mass marketed and built cheaply to provide maximum profit to it's manufacturer while still entertaining those who want a tad of performance in said vehicle type. Dealer experience, I'd say drastically different also. Shit just on my Audi it's a huge difference. Take my base A3 in for it's FREE service and walk out with a S5 Loaner for the day. Take my Edge in for warranty work, walk out with a base Focus. Edge has spent 7 months at the dealer since 2015. She still kicking though. Literally the only thing you can really compare the ST to is a Sport and well...that just upsets ST owners who think they have some hot new invention.

But that's the point - to get better performance or more luxury or better service you have to spend a lot more money.

Edge ST and most of Ford's other performance models are somewhat unique either offering more performance than the mass market competition (Raptor vs GM/RAM/Toyota e.g.) and lower pricing than the luxury models.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

But that's the point - to get better performance or more luxury or better service you have to spend a lot more money.

that's usually how life works, majority of the time (not all) nicer things cost more. Edge ST MSRP is priced perfect IMO compared to what else is on the market. Nice sweet spot, granted I also feel like it's built/quality/material is that of a 30k vehicle, but thats another story.

I think alot of the flak is the branding. If this was just a refreshed sport I doubt it would be getting this much hate.

I never owned an ST but I know the kind of folks who do, and if they really wanted to give the Edge the ST treatment, they should have done what they could to drop weight, including sound dampening and all the extra features loaded into the Sport/St packages. I think alot of the problems I see reviewers talk about when discussing the "sportiness" of the Edge Sport and now the ST is its weight, and no matter how much you tune the suspension there's only so much you can do to hide it in a big, top heavy platform. They should also drop the engine noise gimmicks, or give us a choice. Even if they kept an automatic I think just doing just those two things would have gone a long way to making this less of an insult to the ST brand.

If Ford wanted to keep the luxury while trying to be sporty they could have kept the Sport and introduced the lighter, less feature rich ST.

That being said I hate the refresh face and tail on any trim of the new Edge. Hearing the Engine Noise on the ST swapping between sport mode was just embarrassing. Sounds like the 8 speed needs some work for next year, and maybe on an 8 speed transmission they might need to think about a more intuitive way to use the paddle shifters than to just march up and down the gears sequentially. 

I'm glad I got the outgoing 18 model, I kinda wanted that extra bump in power, but I'll just be happy with what I got with a little tune.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Xtra said:

I had a run against a new base Porsche 718 in my Mustang and gave him a proper hiding. At the end of the run we both shared a laugh and thumbs up. If he offered me a swap right after that race, i would probably have fallen over my feet trying to give my keys to him fast enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ituhata said:

I think alot of the flak is the branding. If this was just a refreshed sport I doubt it would be getting this much hate.

if it was just a refreshed and carried "Sport" it wouldn't get any attention, just like the 2015 didn't get any real attention. So yeah, we wouldn't even be having this convo...

adding ST to the trunk, made the Edge relevant, but for all the wrong reasons

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting to see this magical document that says what something has to do to be called a ST.

There's never been a crossover ST so comparing it to a Fiesta or Focus ST is silly.

Ford seems to be expanding their ST program and offering ST versions of most vehicles at the same time the vehicles launch.   Essentially they're replacing Sport with ST and expanding the number of vehicles.  It just means it's a higher performance option compared to the base vehicle.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything beyond the current ST would be a RS and we don't have RS version of Edge or Explorer yet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I'm still waiting to see this magical document that says what something has to do to be called a ST.

There's never been a crossover ST so comparing it to a Fiesta or Focus ST is silly.

Ford seems to be expanding their ST program and offering ST versions of most vehicles at the same time the vehicles launch.   Essentially they're replacing Sport with ST and expanding the number of vehicles.  It just means it's a higher performance option compared to the base vehicle.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything beyond the current ST would be a RS and we don't have RS version of Edge or Explorer yet.

I agree, they simply dropped Sport and added ST, I feel this was done since cars are phasing out of Ford and to "appease" the owners of vehicles that come in ST trims and entice them to stay Ford as they transition way from cars. With that said, I would have enjoyed to see more than just a badge swap, I don't care what any ST owner says, that is exactly what it was. As a Sport owner, when I saw Edge ST, my first thought was "this isbetter than my sport" then it came out and I was like...ohhh, it's the same vehicle and with the perfect timing of the refresh, it gave them perfect time to drop "sport"

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ford just launched the refreshed Fiesta ST in Europe and a refreshed Focus ST is due very soon. There was also a whole bunch of photos doing the rounds of the new Mondeo. Ford is only getting rid of sedans/hatches in America. Europe will continue to get the sedans and traditional ST's whilst we get ST Badges on SUV's. I think given the European nomenclature, the sport should have remained and given the option of an ST-Line appearance package. But what do i know :) 

• Like 2