Car rolls on engine turn off

JCrew7384

Does this happen with anyone? I put the car in Park, I take my foot off the brake, it rolls slightly, as expected (when not using the Parking Brake). however when I then turn the car off, it rolls slightly more. What is that extra roll? That shouldn't happen right since I already let it settle into Park?

Cross posting in the regular forum as well.

Yes mine does it about 50% of the time. Its like the transmission was loaded or it was holding the brakes and suddenly disengages once the engine is turned off. It doesn't feel like it will roll away and the parking pawl is definitely engaged. 

I wonder if its something to do with the mechanism that disconnects the driveshaft. Maybe similar to a clutch its engaged state is when its disconnected and engine off it reconnects forcing front and rear wheels to unload any drive-line forces. 

Edited by Fingernip

16 minutes ago, MaX83_ZA said:

Even my Sport does this. When you put the car in park, apply the parking brake before letting go of the brakes. Applying park on the transmission does not apply brakes; the roll and then stop you feel is the transmission stopping the car from rolling, not the brakes.

Its not simply the roll when placed into park. Its a 2nd roll once the engine is shut off. You can feel the car roll once you let off the brake after placing it in park. It will settle on the parking pawl. Then shut off the engine to get out and as soon as you turn off the engine the car rolls again.

43 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Its not simply the roll when placed into park. Its a 2nd roll once the engine is shut off. You can feel the car roll once you let off the brake after placing it in park. It will settle on the parking pawl. Then shut off the engine to get out and as soon as you turn off the engine the car rolls again.

Yes, this... It is a second roll.

I will have to try and see next time.  I normally put mine in park and still have my foot on the brakes and then turn off and release the brakes before getting out.  So I only get the normal roll feel when releasing the brakes and exiting the vehicle.  I also either park on my flat driveway or slight roll down work parking lot.  I will try to remember to put it in park and release the brakes then shut it off and see what happens. 

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

That is very strange... 

That makes me curious - when I took my driving test to get my license (many, many years ago), it was part of the test that you had to apply the parking brake when parking back at the testing center.  Failure to do so resulted in a major point deduction which was the difference between passing and failing for many.  So applying the parking brake got drilled into us during driving lessons.  Don't they do that anymore?  I would no more forget to apply the parking brake than I would forget to put the side stand down on my bike.

44 minutes ago, TheWizard said:

That makes me curious - when I took my driving test to get my license (many, many years ago), it was part of the test that you had to apply the parking brake when parking back at the testing center.  Failure to do so resulted in a major point deduction which was the difference between passing and failing for many.  So applying the parking brake got drilled into us during driving lessons.  Don't they do that anymore?  I would no more forget to apply the parking brake than I would forget to put the side stand down on my bike.

It was a more common practice to create the muscle memory back when manuals were more common. Its often referred to as an emergency brake now aday because its fairly redundant. Its not a bad practice to use it especially in hilly areas. For me I took my driving test back in 1998 and it was not part of the requirement to use it. 

53 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

It was a more common practice to create the muscle memory back when manuals were more common. Its often referred to as an emergency brake now aday because its fairly redundant. Its not a bad practice to use it especially in hilly areas. For me I took my driving test back in 1998 and it was not part of the requirement to use it. 

It's not really redundant.  The parking pawl is not intended to hold the vehicle on a hill - it puts too much stress on the pawl and they can break.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's not really redundant.  The parking pawl is not intended to hold the vehicle on a hill - it puts too much stress on the pawl and they can break.

Growing up in the northeast the extent of our hills is really limited to houses built on burms. Out here you might even confuse someone saying "parking brake" over "emergency brake". Street parking on hills was considered a no-no during drivers-ed for visibility concerns since our hills are soo small they can be avoided by simply parking 30 yards further up the road.  Even working in a shop the only broken parking pawls I ever saw was from towed vehicles being drug out of spaces or accidents with parked cars. But as you said, anyone needing to park on hills should use it every time.

I only use a parking brake when driving a manual.  Even just coming from one I do not use the one on the Edge.  Heck there are times I just hit the start/stop button without even turning the dial since I know it puts it in park.  I also found that if you do that when parking on a slight decline that it will auto engage the parking brake for you since you are on a hill.  But normally I just turn the dial and turn it off and get out.  And if parking on a steep enough hill I do the turn the wheels to the curb deal you are supposed to do on a hill.  And the parking brake deal was not on either of the drivers tests I took in two different states.  Put it in park and turn the engine off and get out is all there was. 

5 hours ago, TheWizard said:

As far as I know, its an automatic fail if your car rolls at all once you have parked. And yes, they specifically test parking on incline/declines. 

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Must be a Canadian thing.

That's quite possible... I first got my license in Canada almost 50 years ago.  Now that I think about it, I don't think they cared when I took the road test when I moved to Florida 25 years ago.  But that's not surprising - from what I see on the road, it appears that driver's licenses are available on cereal box tops here.

• Like 1