Air Conditioner Weak?

kaufman

The theory regarding the in-cabin air filter seems quite plausible and I will examine that when I take it in Saturday.

Hi PrinzII. :D I am not 100% sure, but I believe the Edge does not have a Cabin Air Filter. There is no part# listed for an Edge Cabin Air Filter in the Manual. I called my local Ford Dealer Parts Department, and they are not sure either. While they show a part# listed, they say they have none in stock, have never sold any, and believe a changeable filter was planned but never added to the Edge.

What is known is that the Edge/MKX use the same basic HVAC system as the Fusion/Milan/MKZ and they do not have a Cabin Air Filter.

Although the Edge/MKX (like the Fusion/Milan/MKZ) Owners Manuals have a section labeled "Cabin Air Filter (if equipped)", it seems it may have been a planned but deleted feature. Keywords being "if equipped".

Almost all Ford Owners Manuals are printed with that information, whether the vehicle is equipped with one or not. Just a catch all section. Therefore the "if equipped" warning.

Still, it can't hurt to ask the Service Department. Let us know what you find out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

FWIW - I have tested and verified this on our hot days here in the midwest - mid 90's w/ 70-10% humidity (effectively upper 90's,lower 100's). I have left it out in the sun for a few hours (min 2) while shopping or doing errands or visiting family - with and without a heat shield (thing to block the sun in windshield).

With shield, it cools off very quickly - almost as quickly a smaller import imo. As little as 7 minutes (but that was with only 1 person)

Without shield it does take some time - but venting the hot air out helps drastically (BAMR, all windows down).

Leaving windows cracked helps keep the initial high temp lower too.

I do not seem to have this same problem other report - after ~20 minutes with 5 people in car, the temp is raised and recirculate is turned off. Maybe 90F not hot enough?

I have not tried the glove box theory yet.

Just my $0.02

I agree with the comments about our ability to "aim" the airflow by adjusting the dash vents. I have no idea why it is impossible to aim them across a full path (left-right/up-down). Given this weeks hot/humid temperatures it was disappointing to not be able to aim the drivers side vents directly at myself to maximize cooling. I am 5-8 which is pretty average. I would have thought someone at Ford design sat in the seats and tried aiming the vents before freezing the final design but apparently not.

The air flow is also disappointing. When you selected recirculate on my last car (GM / Bonneville) you noticed that the fan speed/air flow really picked up and the temperature cooled down significantly faster. Nada on the Edge.

I have notice the glove box difference but it only increased the noise not really the airflow. I will pop it open and see if there is a filter in there but given the car is relatively new I can't see how it would be even close to clogged. If it is there I plan on taking the filter out and seeing if that changes air flow to any significant degree. Hopefully it is an easy access filter. The Honda van (2003) had one that required major surgery to get at and cost a fortune to replace. The owners web site has huge "how to" postings on how to replace the air filter and save yourself 100's of dollars in dealer service cost. One of the most ....ed up designs I have ever seen.

CorporateEdge: The inability to direct airflow on yourself leads me to believe you need to read the manual. (just kidding! Pokin fun at bbf2530 :happy feet:)

I myself had a 5 hour drive during early afternoon today thru South Carolina. I was the only one in the car and fan speed on low would have been sufficient had I the ability to point the driver side vents at myself. I suppose I could stop whining and just take it to the service department, I've just been waiting for some sign from this thread that the problem is actually fixable.

Has anyone actually gotten their dealership to look at it?

I hate to break the news to you all but there is no fix for it. That is just how the AC operated and belive i understand all the complaints. We almost did not buy the car because of the AC. We lived in phoenix at the time and were trying to decide between the edge and the explorer. the explorers AC is much better but the overall the edge is a much better vehicle and we are happy with it. We are now in northern cali and it doesn't make as much of a difference. I wish ford would have done a better job with the AC but it is what it is.

I prefer to sweat a little while the car cools down but still be in the optimal driving position in terms of orientation to the pedals, controls and steering wheel.

It is just sad that something so easily fixed by common sense design got missed. Perhaps the Ford people that visit the site will take this to heart and address the issue on subsequent updates.

I like the Edge and the two or three irritants are not enough to make me look elsewhere, especially given the value the total package represents. That said the AC does appear to be a much greater issue in the US South West. Up here we are more concerned with how the heater and block heater work !

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Vegas. I am having the same problems. VERY weak air. I did take it in and was told that's what you get. The problem is in the design! The vents are to long. Not enough control over the position of the vents. The vent design itself creates an air block. The biggest problem is the vent is to long. You can't go from a small pipe to a large opening and maintain air flow. You need to go from large pipe to a smaller opening / vent to have adequate air flow. Look at the Fords F series air vents. Large pipe to small vent with 360' control. Great design. To bad they messed with it on the Edge. Ford told me there is no fix because as they see it there is no problem!

BEWARE!!!! Do your research first! You get what you buy. By the way Ford left my with a 2" scratch in my D. S. Door. That's what I get for asking questions!

This will be the last Ford I EVER buy....

I live in Vegas. I am having the same problems. VERY weak air. I did take it in and was told that's what you get. The problem is in the design! The vents are to long. Not enough control over the position of the vents. The vent design itself creates an air block. The biggest problem is the vent is to long. You can't go from a small pipe to a large opening and maintain air flow. You need to go from large pipe to a smaller opening / vent to have adequate air flow. Look at the Fords F series air vents. Large pipe to small vent with 360' control. Great design. To bad they messed with it on the Edge. Ford told me there is no fix because as they see it there is no problem!

BEWARE!!!! Do your research first! You get what you buy. By the way Ford left my with a 2" scratch in my D. S. Door. That's what I get for asking questions!

This will be the last Ford I EVER buy....

Ford didn't leave the scratch. The dealer did. Try a different dealer. I know for a fact that there is more than one in Vegas.

Just curious which one did you go to?

The dealer is Ford. If you wear a Ford Motor. Co. shirt then you are representing Ford. Thus you are Ford. I am a firefighter. When I put my uniform on I become my Department. My actions reflect my dept. Anyway, I own this car now, so there's no reason to bitch. It is a great SUV. Weak A/C but has some strong points. I bet in a few years you will see a change on the vent design. by the way, they ordered touch up paint before I pointed out the scratch. Ford is so on the money that they predicted the scratch! OK. Time to put this behind me and drive on.

I agree with you VegasEdge. The large vent theory sounds the most plausible. Surely enough the car cools fast enough, but the cold air pretty much scatters in all directions once it exits those large vents. The fact that you cannot direct the vents in all directions is pretty moot anyway since the force of the air coming out is so minimal.

I'm sure eventually someone at Ford will see this thread if it keeps growing, and we'll see a completely redesigned vent system in the 2010 model.

I have been researching the edge and finally went to test drive when I was ready to buy...got in the car on a sunny day (Blazing Copper Limited) and was extremely disappointed about the following:

1) Air conditioner on driver's side was weaker than passenger. Felt like there was blockage in the middle of the vent on the right of the driver.

2) Impossible to aim the air vents at my face...they blow to the side of me. I thought maybe it was because I was short (5'3") so I made the sales guy and one other guy try...and none of them could feel the air without leaning hard to the right or left. They also felt the difference in air flow. Design was about a half inch off on either side of the driver...the vents should have been a bit wider.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just this particular vehicle?

And please don't tell me that you don't like air blowing on your face...I live in Houston and it was 101 with humidity in the high 90's. :shades:

I still want one...but I don't want to die of a heat stroke.

So, I am not crazy! I noticed the difference about a week after I got the car. That is the only drawback to the car that I've found so far. I'm only 4'11 so moving the seat back isn't an option and the steering wheel adjustment doesn't help either. I have black leather seats and the vista roof too. It gets mighty hot in there even with the sun shade closed. I was going to take it back to the dealership to have it serviced, but based on the responses from everyone, it looks like this is a flaw in the design of the car. I wonder if I close the passenger vents if it will redirect the airflow to the driver side? I'll have to test this theory out next time I go out.

Jenn

So, I am not crazy! I noticed the difference about a week after I got the car. That is the only drawback to the car that I've found so far. I'm only 4'11 so moving the seat back isn't an option and the steering wheel adjustment doesn't help either. I have black leather seats and the vista roof too. It gets mighty hot in there even with the sun shade closed. I was going to take it back to the dealership to have it serviced, but based on the responses from everyone, it looks like this is a flaw in the design of the car. I wonder if I close the passenger vents if it will redirect the airflow to the driver side? I'll have to test this theory out next time I go out.

Jenn

Hi Jenn. :D If you are concerned about the ability of your AC to cool the vehicle (if it seems seems weak/inadequate), I would still bring it to the attention of the Service Department next time you have it in for regular service. Just do it before your Bumper to Bumper Warranty expires.

If your concern is that it is cooling enough but you just cannot direct the airflow enough towards yourself with the vent controls, then yes it seems that is a common complaint. Closing the other vents will give you some added airflow out of the open ones, but unfortunately, you still won't be able to direct it any better.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Jenn. :D If you are concerned about the ability of your AC to cool the vehicle (if it seems seems weak/inadequate), I would still bring it to the attention of the Service Department next time you have it in for regular service. Just do it before your Bumper to Bumper Warranty expires.

If your concern is that it is cooling enough but you just cannot direct the airflow enough towards yourself with the vent controls, then yes it seems that is a common complaint. Closing the other vents will give you some added airflow out of the open ones, but unfortunately, you still won't be able to direct it any better.

Thanks. It seems to be an airflow problem :shrug: The car has 2200 miles on it, so I don't have to worry about the warranty expiring just yet, lol. Problem is, the car has been in the bodyshop longer than I have had it in my possession. I made the first car payment and 4 days later a guy hit the passenger side. It was in the shop since May 29th and I got it back last week, but it needs to go back due to paint and door alignment issues. The repair was $6K. I was very impressed with the way the car handled when I got hit. Solid car and my 4 year old daughter was in the car with me. The point of impact was her door. She was okay and didn't seem affected at all by the accident.

Jenn

Thanks. It seems to be an airflow problem :shrug: The car has 2200 miles on it, so I don't have to worry about the warranty expiring just yet, lol. Problem is, the car has been in the bodyshop longer than I have had it in my possession. I made the first car payment and 4 days later a guy hit the passenger side. It was in the shop since May 29th and I got it back last week, but it needs to go back due to paint and door alignment issues. The repair was $6K. I was very impressed with the way the car handled when I got hit. Solid car and my 4 year old daughter was in the car with me. The point of impact was her door. She was okay and didn't seem affected at all by the accident.

Jenn

Glad your child os OK.

If you look under the ford edge & lincoln mkx community under Ford edge and lincoln mkx community ( yes there are two of them), you will see a topic I started called "The Truth About Edge A/C" where you will find many and varied opinions on this critical issue.

If you can't find it I think you can click on my username and get to it. Good Luck.

Glad your child os OK.

If you look under the ford edge & lincoln mkx community under Ford edge and lincoln mkx community ( yes there are two of them), you will see a topic I started called "The Truth About Edge A/C" where you will find many and varied opinions on this critical issue.

If you can't find it I think you can click on my username and get to it. Good Luck.

Thanks.

I definitely agree with rolling down all the windows for a good minute before running the AC. it helps a lot.

yes the vertical vents make it a bit harder to feel the air at least at 1st. but they designed them that way and not too much you can do. the large cabin and especially windshield let in a lot of UV light so make sure you get a good window shade when it's parked anywhere near sunlight.

I'm planning to do a bit of a driver and passenger side tint to block out any additional rays I can. at least a UV tint if I don't find any other that appears legal. while the front window shade helps, the side windows almost always let in tons of light and heat when I'm parked. I also recommend cracking the front or rear windows a tiny bit while parked in the sun to let excess heat escape - but that's just personal preference.

My wife and I bought an 08' edge on @may 24/08. We have noticed that the a/c is weaker than her 05' escape, considerably. We have also noticed that the a/c is considerably cooler on the highway. It's actually freezing on the highway. My only guess is that at speed, the condenser receives considerably more air flow. Has anyone with the towing pack (think it has upgraded fans amongst others) noticed if it is better? I will do a temp drop test later this week. I wonder if ford could fix this by programming the fans to; run faster (if not max already), constantly (if not already), and have both (I assume two fans) run (if only one is running for a/c). I have seen hondas that run one fan for a/c, and one or both for engine cooling...

Hi PrinzII. :D I am not 100% sure, but I believe the Edge does not have a Cabin Air Filter. There is no part# listed for an Edge Cabin Air Filter in the Manual. I called my local Ford Dealer Parts Department, and they are not sure either. While they show a part# listed, they say they have none in stock, have never sold any, and believe a changeable filter was planned but never added to the Edge.

What is known is that the Edge/MKX use the same basic HVAC system as the Fusion/Milan/MKZ and they do not have a Cabin Air Filter.

Although the Edge/MKX (like the Fusion/Milan/MKZ) Owners Manuals have a section labeled "Cabin Air Filter (if equipped)", it seems it may have been a planned but deleted feature. Keywords being "if equipped".

Almost all Ford Owners Manuals are printed with that information, whether the vehicle is equipped with one or not. Just a catch all section. Therefore the "if equipped" warning.

Still, it can't hurt to ask the Service Department. Let us know what you find out.

I asked my service rep about the filter when I had the MKX in for the cold shift issue wjth the transmission. He wasn't even sure where the filter was supposed to be. He was looking under the hood. He thought that there was one, it was an option.

I removed the glove box door the other day & there is indeed a pleated paper filter on top of the box. I found that surprising, since quite a bit of white dust comes out of the center vents. One day, I noticed a lot of dust in the middle of the rear seat. Didn't realize then where it was coming from. When I get a chance, I'm going to open up the filter box & see what it looks like in there.

The Wife and I have a 08 limited with towing package. She complains about the A/C everyday. We live in Phoenix Metro Area and it is hot.

I have not tried opening the glove box yet.

I don't notice this problem when I drive it on long trips, ie highway speeds.

I too think that the longer Vents have a negative effect on the perceived cooling air flow.

• 3 weeks later...

This may not help your situation, but it helped me a lot. I have an Acura that has Automatic Temperature Control. It is supposed to shift into maximum mode (including recirc and high fan) if the setting is significantly lower than the inside temp of the car. However, at any setting above 60 degrees, while it does go into recirc and high fan, it is still in blended mode that allows some outside air in the mix. Too much outside air. The temp coming out, although cool, is not ice cold like it should be.

However, if you set the temp at 60 degrees (the lowest setting), it turns off the blended mode and ice cold air comes blasting out. I think something is wrong with the blended air door actuator, or the a/c computer controls. However, the car is out of warranty so I am trying to find a cheap fix. Your manual says to set at 60 degrees for max cold, so try it out. You may have the same problem/solution I have.

P.S. I do not have an Edge -- I just stumbled onto this thread while looking for a solution to my own problem.