another PTU question

tkw

Sorry to add more to the PTU heap, just looking for some help in making an informed decision. I have a 13 Edge with 61K miles. I recently started noticing the smell best described as propane or natural gas, so of course I googled it. That led me to all the issues people are having with the PTU.  The smell is the only symptom I am noticing right now, I am not noticing any leak spots on the floor, or any noise or performance issues. I have an appointment with a local independent shop that has a good reputation (the local Ford dealer does not).  The plan is for them to check for any leaks and go from there. I am leaving next Friday for vacation, the drive is 800 miles each way, the weather will be hot. Since I am not seeing any other symptoms, if there is not a major leak would I likely be OK just having the old fluid pulled out and replaced with fresh if it doesn't have any chunks in it? What is the point where replacing the unit is necessary? Not sure what to do!

Thanks

If the leak is out the vent, that would be the best situation.  Replacing the fluid hopefully is a 1-round effort, sometimes it takes a few rounds to have clean fluid coming back out.

If the leak is from the PTU to axle/halfshaft seal, that is about 2 hrs work + parts.

Either of these situations, you can escape relatively unscathed.  As long as the fluid remains free of debris.  The plug however may have fine metal shavings, which is most likely from the breakin process early on in the PTU's life.  Normal.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just get it changed at a Ford dealer or a reputable shop. 1/2 Ford dealers service reps “knew” of the ability to change the TPU fluid, thus I went to the one that did.  I stayed with Ford because I had an ESP on my 2014 Limited and wanted the documentation.  It cost me appx $100 to have the TPU serviced (old grease/fluid sucked out and new installed) through the fill plug.  I’ve had it done twice now in 52K miles, will get it serviced again at the 60K mark.

Don’t forget to get the engine coolant changed, if you lose the water pump its a very expensive repair.  I did not know that either was an issue until I read on this forum about each.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just getting both the PTU and the RDU done now.  $85 for the PTU and $98 for the RDU.  Local Firestone.  They'd never drained a PTU but they had a tech who had been a mechanic at Ford, he said he had replaced many!

He said the PTU oil was ok ( not dirty or thick) while the rear diff looked a bit milky, which I didn't particularly like seeing.

i had him put synthetic in the PTU, regular 75/90 gear oil in the RDU.

Took all of 35 minutes, $196.14

Edited by 14AWD3.5
  • Like 1