--> 2019 Titanium double honk disabling & 6 flashes when lane changing...

A big thanks to my good friend Claude ("cv27") who used Forscan and disabled the silly "double honk". He also enabled the flasher to flash 6 times (instead of the factory 3) on my 2019 Titanium. :2thumbs:

The "double honk" think is very annoying and in my opinion useless…and about the lane changing flasher feature going from 3 to 6 times is much better because it gives you just a little more time to actually change lanes before turning off . :thumbsup:

Claude. :ford:

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

The "double honk" think is very annoying and in my opinion useless…

It’s not useless.  Picture a couple with the wife driving.  She leaves her fob at home accidentally but husband has his so no problem.  She drops him off at work and goes to her job.  Now she can’t restart the car without a fob.  Or if she does see the warning and restarts it within twenty seconds she has to go back to her husbands job to get the fob.  With a double honk that doesn’t happen.

its also very easy to prevent it by just not closing the door.  If you don’t think that would ever happen to you then fine but there is a good reason for it and I personally I want that feature for the situation I described.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s not useless.  Picture a couple with the wife driving.  She leaves her fob at home accidentally but husband has his so no problem.  She drops him off at work and goes to her job.  Now she can’t restart the car without a fob.  Or if she does see the warning and restarts it within twenty seconds she has to go back to her husbands job to get the fob.  With a double honk that doesn’t happen.

its also very easy to prevent it by just not closing the door.  If you don’t think that would ever happen to you then fine but there is a good reason for it and I personally I want that feature for the situation I described.

It's like way back around 1968 when they introduced the "key in the ignition warning buzzers". At first, everybody thought it was a good idea but after a few years, no one was really paying attention to them anymore, it became bothersome and people started to delete them. Same thing for that "double honk" feature. I find it more annoying than useful (to me at least…)…and about the situation you described above well, if people paid more attention to what they're doing, that wouldn't happen. 

Claude.

30 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

It's like way back around 1968 when they introduced the "key in the ignition warning buzzers". At first, everybody thought it was a good idea but after a few years, no one was really paying attention to them anymore, it became bothersome and people started to delete them. Same thing for that "double honk" feature. I find it more annoying than useful (to me at least…)…and about the situation you described above well, if people paid more attention to what they're doing, that wouldn't happen. 

Claude.

It must really drive you up a wall when the refrigerator starts beeping when you leave the door open.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

It must really drive you up a wall when the refrigerator starts beeping when you leave the door open.

Good comparison, but if my fridge double honked a loud horn I'd definitely throw it out. The problem with Ford's implementation is their extremely annoying loud noise. And it does it on all doors. The other day a guy in an Escape got out while the engine is running and it double honked. He opened the rear door to let his young daughter out, double honk. Get stuff out the lift gate, double honk. 

Others, at least Nissan & Toyota from my experience, use a softer beeping tone that doesn't wake up the neighborhood or puts you in an awkward position with others thinking your honking on them. Though with the newer Ford's and their cost cutting single horns I imagine it would be less annoying.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Good comparison, but if my fridge double honked a loud horn I'd definitely throw it out. The problem with Ford's implementation is their extremely annoying loud noise. And it does it on all doors. The other day a guy in an Escape got out while the engine is running and it double honked. He opened the rear door to let his young daughter out, double honk. Get stuff out the lift gate, double honk. 

Others, at least Nissan & Toyota from my experience, use a softer beeping tone that doesn't wake up the neighborhood or puts you in an awkward position with others thinking your honking on them. Though with the newer Ford's and their cost cutting single horns I imagine it would be less annoying.

A softer but still easily audible alert would be fine.   But in the Escape scenario would not shutting the driver's door eliminate all the other honks?  If not why not just shut it off temporarily?   My point is there are simple workarounds to avoid the double honk if you don't like it but that still provide that warning when you do need it.

Can you share the code that was used to disable the double honk? I'm deaf and don't need it, but my neighbors and coworkers complain since I'm always opening/shutting doors carrying IT stuff around.

I've already got the auto start/stop disabled and LOVE it... Just need the double honk GONE. My buddy has Forscan and a laptop, so I just need to have the code for him to do his magic.

Finally I can stop annoying my neighbor at 5AM when warming up the car and loading my equipment. My parking spot is like 10 feet from his bedroom window. Funny, my old Focus ST with a loud exhaust didn't bother him until this double honking fiasco

Edited by IcyFridge

1 hour ago, IcyFridge said:

Can you share the code that was used to disable the double honk?

Here's two:

Locking Feedback Horn On Second Button Press On/Off

BCM 726-38-02 xxxX xxxx xxzz 0= Disabled, 1=Enabled

Double Honk Leaving Car When Engine Running On/Off

BdyCM 726-41-02

0001 0000 0071 (Double Honk Enabled, Default)

0000 0000 0070 (Double Honk Disabled)

# 4th/12th digit number is 1: double honk enabled ******

# 4th/12th digit number is 0: double honk disabled ******

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Picture a couple with the wife driving.  She leaves her fob at home accidentally but husband has his so no problem.  She drops him off at work and goes to her job.  Now she can’t restart the car without a fob.  Or if she does see the warning and restarts it within twenty seconds she has to go back to her husbands job to get the fob.  With a double honk that doesn’t happen.

Except....She would have noticed the seat and mirrors had set themselves to hubby's fob.  She'd have said to herself "self, why is the seat further back than normal and why can't I see the lanes next to me in my mirrors?"  She'd have realized immediately the Edge hadn't set everything to her defaults and then the ah ha moment....I don't have my fob!  Crisis avoided.

Actually I get what you're saying AK but still, if it's an annoyance to neighbors or family members (my wife was the first to ask if I could muffle that "damned horn" when I first brought the Edge home) it's handy to be able to throttle the thing. ;)

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

She would have noticed

She would have noticed the yellow warning rectangle in the instrument cluster that clearly states key not found. The chime would also ring. But unfortunately, liability issues and how some stupid people act and file lawsuits whenever they can will cause misery to more people.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

My point is there are simple workarounds to avoid the double honk if you don't like it but that still provide that warning when you do need it.

For me and you, and most who come into this forum, yes. Majority of the buying public? It is not a simple workaround.

I too at first was annoyed by the honk.  but in my case it happens when I leave my key in the vehicle and lock the doors.  it alerts me that my keys are in the car and prevents the door from locking.  When I go to the gym I purposely lock my keys and wallet in the car and will get the double honk if I lock the door out of habit using the button inside the car.  I like that it reminds me that the door isn't locked.  I then lock the door using the keypad on the outside of the door and use the keypad on the door to unlock the car to get in.

• Like 1

I see you guys come up with several solutions (not closing the door, locking using the keypad, different key fob settings, etc…) but I still think that nothing beats disabling it. Imagine having to leave your car door open while the engine is running… that's an invitation to car theft...:cry:…naaaah…. --> D-I-S-A-B-L-E it! :spiteful:

It makes me think…back in the '60's there were no alarms, honking horns, etc…and people didn't have the habit of leaving their car keys inside their cars…so I don't wee why it should be worse today…:shrug: 

Claude. 

Edited by 2FAST4U

15 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Imagine having to leave your car door open while the engine is running… that's an invitation to car theft...:cry:naaaah…. --> D-I-S-A-B-L-E it! :spiteful:

I personally immediately disabled it, no thinking about it. But with @akirby suggestion, you close the door to first click, it won't double honk and door could be locked. 

12 hours ago, omar302 said:

I personally immediately disabled it, no thinking about it. 

Exactly.  My '16 Titanium was my first vehicle ever featuring that annoying "double honk". At the time I asked my dealer how to turn it off but they said that they couldn't do anything about it (meaning that I'd have to live with it). :( Maybe it's because they are not allowed to do this, I dunno... So after becoming a member here and asking several times about it, another member ("cv27") who happened to live in my area contacted me and eventually disabled it for me using the Forscan program. I couldn't be more relieved! :yahoo:

Fast forward to a few months ago (July), I took delivery of my new '19 Titanium and contacted my friend again to disable it (as well as enabling my lane-changing flasher to flash 6 times instead of 3). Yeaaaaay! :happyfeet:

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1