20" wheels

hjl1949

I have a 2009 Limited with the 20 inch chrome clad wheels and with 5690 miles driven have not noticed this problem. When you first start hearing the clicking sound, can you feel the chrome clad moving when the car in parked? Also, is this clicking sound heard with the windows up / down or both? Thanks.

I have a 2009 Limited with the 20 inch chrome clad wheels and with 5690 miles driven have not noticed this problem. When you first start hearing the clicking sound, can you feel the chrome clad moving when the car in parked? Also, is this clicking sound heard with the windows up / down or both? Thanks.

I wonder if the clicking is coming from the Ford hub cap?

Our 08 MKX with 25+K miles has had NO problems with the chrome clad wheels (I don't like them but they are problem free).

ab

Is anyone else having this problem???

I have an '08 Limited - These 20" wanna be chrome wheels are a plastic finish over a steel wheel. What do you get when you mix plastic and steel? What I got was a NOISE MAKER!!! This is the 2ND set of wheels they have put on my crossover in less than 5K miles of owning it! When you are slow rolling like when your car is being brought to you at Valet Service its sounds horrible!! It sounds like when you were a kis and you put a card in your bikes spokes or ran over a coke can or played on your PLASTIC hotwheel - it sounds like it is falling apart and CHEAP! I am HOTT!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had one of the rims replaced and they charged almost $900...for one! I could have almost bought a set of 4 aftermarket rims for this. Unbelievable.

Why would you pay $900 for a new wheel from a dealer?

There is a guy on here selling 4 nearly new wheels for $600.

If not him you could have checked ebay. They pop up there often.

Sounds like you got taken. :doh:

• 3 months later...

Our 2010 Edge Limited, was losing air pressure, turned out to be dented 20" wheel, (from chuckhole??). Neither of us remember hitting a chuckhole very hard. Car has 5000 miles, cost was over $700. I was going to keep the wheel, but there is a $250 core charge. Dealer says they send it back to Ford for testing??? We are disgusted and now worried after we go over a bumpy or chuckhole filled road. We have corresponded with Ford and they feel our frustation, but can't do anything about it. Can't buy the insurance that they offerd at point of sale now either.

signed

A Happy (??) Ford Edge Owner

Our 2010 Edge Limited, was losing air pressure, turned out to be dented 20" wheel, (from chuckhole??). Neither of us remember hitting a chuckhole very hard. Car has 5000 miles, cost was over $700. I was going to keep the wheel, but there is a $250 core charge. Dealer says they send it back to Ford for testing??? We are disgusted and now worried after we go over a bumpy or chuckhole filled road. We have corresponded with Ford and they feel our frustation, but can't do anything about it. Can't buy the insurance that they offerd at point of sale now either.

signed

There is now a core charge on all wheels that ford sells. They do not send them back for testing, but they do send them back. I'm not sure what the reason is for this, but its been that way for about the last year.

signed

Sorry to hear that! But for $700 + $250 core charge you could have ordered a set of new aftermarket wheels from many places for about $1300 That way you could keep the ones you have for snow tires.

Sorry to hear that! But for $700 + $250 core charge you could have ordered a set of new aftermarket wheels from many places for about $1300 That way you could keep the ones you have for snow tires.

Ya you could get aftermarket wheels for not to expensive, or possibly buy one on ebay or craigslist. Also just so everyone knows you don't pay the 250 core charge, unless you don't turn the old wheel back in.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got a used 08 AWD limited and the rims were driving me crazy. Click CIick Click. I brought the car to my local dealer and they are replacing all 4 wheels. I hope this resolves the issue.

I had the exact same problem. My clicking was coming from the passenger side front wheel. When I brought the car to the dealer they were aware of a service bulletin about the clicking wheels. They had to do some measurements to determine the status of the other wheels. They came back and said they need to replace 3 of the rims which they had to order. A few days later I brought the vehicle back and got the three new 20 inch rims installed. As I was leaving I asked which rim wasn't replaced. They said the passenger front wasn't replaced. I looked at hem a little stunned and said... but that was the rim that was making all the noise. I now have 4 new rims and I hope the problem doesn't come back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took my car in today and they ordered four new wheels for me - I hope this solves the problem! The tech said that it should as the wheels were redesigned - any feedback from anyone with the new wheels?

:happy feet:

The new rims still clicking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...