Rotary Gear Selector

oskar27

Glad to hear the positive comments.....

The negative comments I read were not related to Edge or any other manufacturer. The two I remember were both of stupid things people can do like....

person jumping out of car to jip to a store and left the car running, door open and the car rolled...

or how you move the car with a dead battery and the gear selector on P

Regardless, I’m an Edge man and my next one will be the 3rd since 2013

There is a manual override to take the car out of park if the battery is dead.   Same as current ones - you can't shift out of park if the brake shift interlock isn't powered so there is a manual override.  It's in the owner's manual.

One thing you get with the selector (and Lincoln push buttons) is that it will automatically put the vehicle in park when you turn it off.  Not really a safety concern.  Might be more safe.

27 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

If you open the door with the selector in gear it puts the vehicle in park almost instantly.  Made that mistake when parking and opened the door to see how close I was to the curb in a parking spot and it put it in park as soon as the door opened. 

I thought it might but wasn't 100% sure.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, jamie1073 said:

If you open the door with the selector in gear it puts the vehicle in park almost instantly.  Made that mistake when parking and opened the door to see how close I was to the curb in a parking spot and it put it in park as soon as the door opened. 

I did the same thing. I thought it wouldn’t do that while moving. Does it damage the transmission?

12 hours ago, Kcbbriggs said:

I did the same thing. I thought it wouldn’t do that while moving. Does it damage the transmission?

He wasn't moving.  He opened the door to see the curb while stopped.  It won't do any shifts that would damage the transmission.  That's the benefit of a fully electronically controlled transmission.

17 hours ago, Kcbbriggs said:

I was moving slightly when I checked my parking and it went into park. Should it do that?

Yes if moving only slightly or slowly it will go into park.  Just like a unit with a lever type shifter, it will also go into park if you move it forward while moving slow enough.  It will not do it at speed though and the parking brake also will not engage at speed.  Tried it at slow speed to see what would happen in a snow filled parking lot.  It did not engage. These are nice safety features so you do not run yourself over getting out with  the car in gear, which has happened to people sadly.  Same as engaging park when you turn the vehicle off.  I have had it engage the parking brake on me if parking on a slight hill and turning off without putting it in park, and releasing the brake pedal right after turning off.  Like it sensed the roll and was not all the way in Park yet so it put the brakes on. 

Edited by jamie1073

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...