Noob from AZ

Cedarburger

Just wanted to say hello. New to the forum and new to owning an Edge. Just purchased a 2014 Edge Sport AWD with 22k miles. Excited to learn more.

Previous owner did not disclose tire leak (plug) so got to purchase new tires already. Also purchased wheels. Will post a pic when installed.

00F0F_8KwsIUM70Hx_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Cedarburger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cedarburger said:

Just wanted to say hello. New to the forum and new to owning an Edge. Just purchased a 2014 Edge Sport AWD with 22k miles. Excited to learn more.

Previous owner did not disclose tire leak (plug) so got to purchase new tires already. Also purchased wheels. Will post a pic when installed.

Looks great! really low miles too!  enjoy your purchase and welcome to the forums!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From one Arizona resident to another, welcome to the Ford Edge Forum!

You'll probably be getting offers for those Sport wheels after you've replaced them.  They seem to be very popular (maybe among owners wanting their non sport models to look like one).
Too bad about the tires.  Usually any tire that can be repaired with a plug can also be fixed with an internal patch and will have normal tire life after that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

From one Arizona resident to another, welcome to the Ford Edge Forum!

You'll probably be getting offers for those Sport wheels after you've replaced them.  They seem to be very popular (maybe among owners wanting their non sport models to look like one).
Too bad about the tires.  Usually any tire that can be repaired with a plug can also be fixed with an internal patch and will have normal tire life after that. 

Thanks Gadgetjq!  I am fairly new to AZ (third year) as well as being new to this forum. 

The wheels had the typical peeling/flaking clear coat and if course curb rash do to the low pro tires.  I just couldn't put new tires on those wheels. Of course, may get different wheels later, but we will see. I was considering having them refinished, but maybe selling them is not a bad idea to mitigate some of the unexpected cost of the tires!

As I understand it, a patch/plug combination is the real way to successfully repair the puncture per the TIA.

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

This one was located on the shoulder and is not considered reparable by a conscientious shop.

I look forward to learning a lot here!

7 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Congrats and welcome to the forum! She's super clean with low miles. Change the PTU and coolant fluid post haste!  She will provide you years of service!

Thanks, onyxbfly! Was actually just thinking about doing a full fluid flush.  Never did a PTU...have also read about adding a cooler kit to the PTU? I wish I'd have seen this issue before. It sounds like a design flaw.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cedarburger said:

Thanks, onyxbfly! Was actually just thinking about doing a full fluid flush.  Never did a PTU...have also read about adding a cooler kit to the PTU? I wish I'd have seen this issue before. It sounds like a design flaw.

I sadly do not know about gen 1, but we push north of 500 awhp and we just change ours ever 25K.  havent had an issue yet *knocks on wood*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cedarburger said:

Your welcome!  Full fluid flush is a great start to ensuring a future of longevity and reliability.  Unfortunately I am not aware of PTU cooler for any Edge apart from the 19' MY. I wont broach the topic of whether or not its actually a design flaw.  According to Ford they say the fluid is lifetime use.  I'd suggest Changing it every year or every two years based on driving style and how many miles.  People generally change it every 15-25k.  Search the forum to research adding a drain hole as your MY does not have one.   Adding a drain hole makes changing the fluid relatively painless.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

no cooler kit for gen 1 or gen 1.5.  Began in gen 2, AFTER Ford put it on the Police Interceptors in the 2013MY, SHO, Flex, Explorer, etc.

Gen 2 introduced the 2.7 twin turbo Ecoboost, which is what you are seeing the power numbers for.  The problem is the inherent limitations of the 3.5/3.7 block/head design coupled with the 6F50 transmission.  The ecoboost versions have larger PTUs, but until 2013, none of them had a cooled PTU.  And still problematic if you do not service them regularly.  Police fleets recommend every 10K for severe duty service, and have minimized failures that way.

The Gen 2 Sport PTU has TWICE the fluid capacity of the Gen 1/1.5 PTUs.  TWICE.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:34 AM, Cedarburger said:

New wheels and all fluids flushed. Now to get er detailed and sell the old wheels...or get them powdercoated all black...hmmmm.

20191212_171105.jpg

Edited by Cedarburger
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, On The Edge of Insanity said:

Nolan, I lived on the OR/WA coast for 11 years.  Coos Bay, Reedsport and Illwaco.  I hope you like rain, lots of rain.

I'll take the rain over 100 plus degrees in Arizona during the summer anytime.   The only time it's worth being where I live in Arizona is December through March.  

Edited by Nolan