Is it a mistake to purchase OEM size tires (22)?

Cedarburger

Nope not at all. Some people like to keep their vehicles stock and others like to mod them. 22" tires have come down in price tremendously since their inception.  I would throw some Toyos Proxes III on her and keep it moving!

Playing devils advocate. If you want to maximize the sport in your sport going down to 20s will reduce unsprung wheels weight and she will handle better.

All in all she's yours! She's in beautiful shape! The decision to go with OEM 22 or aftermarket 20's is entirely yours.  There is no right or wrong answer. IMHO you are doing right by her!

Edited by onyxbfly

• 7 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, Cedarburger said:

I just purchased a new to me used 2014 Edge Sport AWD.  Had to replace tires and also bought nee wheels.  Did i make a mistake going with the 22s?  It looks like a lot of people going to 20s.  That also increases options for wheels and tires.  

Did I screw up?

I was debating going smaller for a while now. I just bought a 20x10 wheel with a 295 wide tire. Weight was cut in half on each corner and they ride amazing. Definitely s lot more peppy and about 3mpg more

On 7/12/2020 at 5:03 PM, AkMan13 said:

I was debating going smaller for a while now. I just bought a 20x10 wheel with a 295 wide tire. Weight was cut in half on each corner and they ride amazing. Definitely s lot more peppy and about 3mpg more

Can you please post some photos of your car with the new rims and tires. I am interested in fitting my car with 295 tires as well. Can you included all the rim specs... manufacturer & rim name - size - offset - cost - and tire size 295 by 40 or 35 or? Do they fit well, or rub anyplace, or stick out beyond the body? Thanks.

Edited by Xtra

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Can you please post some photos of your car with the new rims and tires. I am interested in fitting my car with 295 tires as well. Can you included all the rim specs... manufacturer & rim name - size - offset - cost - and tire size 295 by 40 or 35 or? Do they fit well, or rub anyplace, or stick out beyond the body? Thanks.

i only have pictures of the old set up after the lowering springs. I will have some pictures taken this weekend by a buddies new camera !  The wheels are Fathom Stern 20x10 with 38mm offset. I picked them up from bbwheelsonline.com. The tires are Toyo Proxes 295/40R20. No rubbing for me. I do have spacers so they poke just a little bit. Might take them off and see how it runs without them. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, AkMan13 said:

I do have spacers so they poke just a little bit. Might take them off and see how it runs without them. 

It is best if you can run without the spacers and still have clearance, but some people like the look of wheels and tires sticking out some. I prefer to have everything even to keep mud and water in the wheel wells and off the side of the car. I still would like to see some photos when you get around to it. 

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

It is best if you can run without the spacers and still have clearance, but some people like the look of wheels and tires sticking out some. I prefer to have everything even to keep mud and water in the wheel wells and off the side of the car. I still would like to see some photos when you get around to it. 

I also like the flush look but spacers we’re actually not mine . I borrowed them for 2 weeks from a good buddy of mine. Just wanted to see how it would look . 

• Thanks 1

As promised here are the 20x10 fathom stern wheels. Tires are Toyo proxes st3 . I actually ended up getting another set of tires which are 275/50R20 . These look great , no spacers, no rubbing just the slightest of poke. Great handling so far and just today i have gotten a handful of compliments. Definitely way more than the oem wheels which people thought were aftermarket due to the size. I still have them but might sell them to make up some cash back. 

ED83A134-6ABF-4086-84A7-5B1FC847E9E4.jpeg

B0ED792F-8F52-4F29-A917-CB1E327B2992.jpeg

8281F5E4-FD3F-44DB-B448-FFCAFBADAB1C.jpeg

F623C091-8CF3-4AEB-85FA-C39D02283B84.jpeg

BF6D9771-E80E-4F3E-A0A2-0C86FE915FE3.jpeg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chileno said:

Do you still have the stock 22’ sport rims?

Yes i do. I am the second owner of the edge. There was slight damage on the wheels from the previous owner (probably because of the lower profile tire they had). It didn’t bother me because i knew I’d get a new set of wheels and tires anyway.