What Brand oil filter?

flymore

What oil filters are you using?

Mact did a great job of oil testing, but not oil filters. (unless I missed it). Would really like to see Mact do a write up on this.

Currently I'm using Bosh premium because there was a good review of them and used them on my Impala for years, but am considering one for synthetic oil maybe Wix. Wix cost just a little more than Bosh but it's made for synthetic oil. ACDelco has a good rebate right now, so maybe I'll go GM? ?

Thanks.

Edited by flymore

I'm still looking.

Motorcraft has the advantage of the lowest price filter with a silicone anti-drainback valve. However the filter paper leaves gaps and not sure if it provides protection for the year I generally go between oil changes.  It's probable perfectly fine.

Since generally this is a once a year thing (for me) the difference between spending $4 or $8 is not that much of a concern. Considering how important oil is I'd thought this topic would be of more interest. 

Maybe switching to Wix extreme duty. Although Denso is a consideration, which i think makes Toyota oil filters. They boast Dual-layer filtration media and a silicone anti-drainback valve for about the same price as Motorcraft.

1 hour ago, flymore said:

Not sure it's good for 6 months.

Guess I could change it monthly. Yea that's an idea.

You just said you go one year between changes and you weren't sure the filter would last that long, so 6 months should be fine.

Actually I think the motorcraft filter is just fine for normal oil change intervals anyway.  Not sure why people spend so much time looking for something else if motorcraft works just fine.  You're not getting better performance.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:43 PM, flymore said:

What oil filters are you using?

Would really like to see Mact do a write up on this.

There's no need.  You'll be hard pressed ever to need more information about oil filters than you'll see here: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

BTW, WIX is a well regarded brand.  If you like them, stick with them but take a look at the rating of the proverbial whipping boy Fram.  Their Extended Guard filter does very well.

Edited by Gadgetjq

Thanks Gadgetjq, I'll check out the link.

My Chevy Impala 3.6L took the ACDelco PF63 that I replaced with venerable Bosh premium 3502 and that's what's on my Ford 3.5L now.  Both engines use the same filters, had some left over from the 3.6L. If you had the PF63 set next to the 3502 then looked at them with a flashlight you'd see the Bosh 3502 looks much better and the reviews are good. So I like Bosh and may stick with them.

One thing I miss about the 3.6L was the factory installed magnetic oil drain plug. Looked just like a regular drain plug with a powerful magnet embedded in the center. You can find them for the 3.5L but they're oversized! I would consider changing the drain plug on my 3.5L to a magnetic one. Haven't found one yet. Wonder if they're the same size too?

16 hours ago, flymore said:

One thing I miss about the 3.6L was the factory installed magnetic oil drain plug.

Have you considered the old magnet on the oil filter canister trick?  If you can't find a magnetic drain plug (or until you do) consider putting a strong neodymium magnet on the filter to trap ferrous metal particles as they circulate through the filter.  Magnets out an old hard drive are perfect for the job.
I don't actually know if this trick works, maybe there's a YouTube video showing an opened filter that's had magnets attached, but it can't hurt anything either.   In the end it's up to the filter to trap anything large enough to damage engine parts.