New Owner of 2016 Edge, what maintenance?

TXHoss

First post here.  Couldn't find anything on this with my limited search.

I am purchasing a 2016 Ford Edge SEL (2L ECO, AWD) with 44K miles next week.  I have read a little and know I need to change the PTU fluid, which I should be able to do myself since I believe Ford put a drain plug in 2016.  Any other standard maintence I should do after purchase?  I have already checked the VIN and there are zero recalls from Ford or NHTSA.

Appreciate the help!

I would change most, if not all of your fluids. Trans, engine oil & filter (full synthetic), coolant, PTU, washer fluid (excessive, but better to have it when needed), Engine Air Filter & Cabin Air Filter. 

I've found that when I do an oil change, it takes me a few days to get the oil to the full mark. It takes the oil a few hours to drain back into the pan. I just add a little bit every morning before the wife leaves for work, until it shows at the full mark. On my '16, the full mark is the top hole & not the line. 

Lastly enjoy your edge! Maybe update your Sync 3 to the latest version so that you can enjoy Android Auto. If you have an Apple iPhone, you'll need to upgrade the USB Hub in the console to take Advantage of Apple Car Play. 

lildisco, thanks for the advice.  I think the only fluid I can't change is the tranny, but I should be able to do all the others.  For air filters, does everyone use K&N or just standard paper?

For the SYNC3 update, we have iPhones.  How do I upgrade the USB hub like you are referring to?  (I am a techie moron).  

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, TXHoss said:

lildisco, thanks for the advice.  I think the only fluid I can't change is the tranny, but I should be able to do all the others.  For air filters, does everyone use K&N or just standard paper?

For the SYNC3 update, we have iPhones.  How do I upgrade the USB hub like you are referring to?  (I am a techie moron).  

Thanks.

You can have several places do a fluid exchange that shouldn't be terribly expensive. 

Here's 1 thread that includes a link to another thread on what you need to purchase & a installation video: 

Here's a link to a replacement USB hub that will let you use Apple Carplay in your '16 Edge: https://amzn.to/30UrFro

If you have an Android phone the original USB port works fine with Android Auto.This link to a YouTube video shows you how to replace the hub:

And finally, replacing your transmission fluid is as easy as changing engine oil.  You'll remove the driver's side under panel (4 screws and a plastic clip), slide a catch pan under the car and remove the drain plug.  When the ATF fluid is drained, replace the plug and the panel.  Done!  Here's the rub, you have to do that three times to get all of the old fluid out since about half is trapped in the torque converter when you do the drain procedure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXHoss said:

One more question.  I looked at the maintenance schedule in the manual and the tranny fluid shows 150K for the first change.  Do I really need to change the fluid at 44K miles?

It's certainly not mandatory and we all know it puts a big dent in the ole wallet but Ford enjoys touting many of its fluids as 'lifetime.'  They are not.

As you cruise around the Edge forums you'll start seeing a trend.  The owners who've done fluid changes more frequently than the schedule suggests are the ones showing large trouble free mileage numbers while those who've ignored coolant, transmission and other (especially power transfer unit lube in AWD vehicles) suffer more often from quirky shifts, failed water pumps and other issues.

The suggestion that anyone who purchases a pre-owned vehicle change every fluid is pretty well established.  Unless you have all the documentation you just don't know how the previous owner took care of the vehicle.

Finally, changing fluids isn't difficult, especially after you've done it a time or two.  A system develops like this two-fer..transaxle and radiator draining under my '16 Edge:
image.png.a92fd1096f3cf09cf2883ea413fc733d.png

33 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

...As you cruise around the Edge forums you'll start seeing a trend.  The owners who've done fluid changes more frequently than the schedule suggests are the ones showing large trouble free mileage numbers while those who've ignored coolant, transmission and other (especially power transfer unit lube in AWD vehicles) suffer more often from quirky shifts, failed water pumps and other issues.

The suggestion that anyone who purchases a pre-owned vehicle change every fluid is pretty well established.  Unless you have all the documentation you just don't know how the previous owner took care of the vehicle.

Finally, changing fluids isn't difficult, especially after you've done it a time or two.  A system develops like this two-fer..transaxle and radiator draining under my '16 Edge:
image.png.a92fd1096f3cf09cf2883ea413fc733d.png

As a 2016 3.5 owner I would love to know how long it has been "general knowledge" that frequent (more frequent than the Ford recommendations) antifreeze and perhaps oil changes extend the life of the water pump in these engines since they were first introduced? I don't doubt this suggestion, I just wonder how many lucky souls have stumbled blindly into high mileage old age vehicles with water pumps that have not failed and yet did nothing special to get there?

Edited by Chipster

16 hours ago, Chipster said:

As a 2016 3.5 owner I would love to know how long it has been "general knowledge" that frequent (more frequent than the Ford recommendations) antifreeze and perhaps oil changes extend the life of the water pump in these engines since they were first introduced?

Quite awhile I'd think.  I've owned my '16 Edge since early May 2019.  Before purchase I spent a lot of time reading and digging back through months and even years of Edge forums and groups.   Forum to forum, group to group important information has spread over time.  That information suggests changing fluids on a frequent basis, particularly coolant in the 3.5/3.7L engines and lubricant in the PTU leads to some very long lived Edges.  Failure to do so can (but doesn't always) lead to some expensive failures.

Edited by Gadgetjq

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 5:02 PM, TXHoss said:

First post here.  Couldn't find anything on this with my limited search.

I am purchasing a 2016 Ford Edge SEL (2L ECO, AWD) with 44K miles next week.  I have read a little and know I need to change the PTU fluid, which I should be able to do myself since I believe Ford put a drain plug in 2016.  Any other standard maintenance I should do after purchase? 

Sorry for being late to the party.  PTU fluid and transmission fluid changes are not "required" maintenance, but are "feel good", cheap insurance !  If you are doing it make sure to ONLY USE GENUINE MOTORCRAFT FLUIDS !  You may have to get the PTU fluid directly from the dealer, but good auto parts stores stock (or can easily get) Motorcraft transmission fluid and engine coolant.

Don't get upset about draining every drop of transmission fluid or even changing the filter.  Even if you only get 50% of the transmission fluid out, because you are changing it so early, you should be fine.  Transmission filters NEVER need to be changed.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Sorry for being late to the party.  PTU fluid and transmission fluid changes are not "required" maintenance, but are "feel good", cheap insurance !  If you are doing it make sure to ONLY USE GENUINE MOTORCRAFT FLUIDS !  You may have to get the PTU fluid directly from the dealer, but good auto parts stores stock (or can easily get) Motorcraft transmission fluid and engine coolant.

Don't get upset about draining every drop of transmission fluid or even changing the filter.  Even if you only get 50% of the transmission fluid out, because you are changing it so early, you should be fine.  Transmission filters NEVER need to be changed.

The only Motorcraft fluid I've used is the transmission Mercon LV

I believe my choice of Engine, PTU and RDU fluids are superior to Motorcraft.

Changing the transmission filter on these means removal and splitting of the trans, so agree, don't consider that as required maintenance.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 6.01.25 PM.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.  I had the dealership flush tranny and coolant before I ever picked it up.  I changed the oil myself and added a Fumoto valve.  Last thing left is PTU change with Motorcraft fluid.  I bought a new jack and jack pad, just need to find a good place to put the jack stands in the front and then find the time.  ?

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Namroloc said:

Hey I’m a 2016 Ford edge owner I am trying to change the PTU fluid I noticed this one has a drain plug where others before me you have not, how much fluid should I put in after I drain it?

You'll find a fill plug on the outboard (passenger) side of the PTU.  Remove that and add fluid until it begins overflowing that opening.  At that point the fill is exactly where it should be.