I did it now! Team RXP 2020 dual catch can kit

DrivingofftheEdge

8 minutes ago, DrivingofftheEdge said:

Actually my cans are mounted between the rad fans and the intake cover. I sent james at RXP a schematic of how everything is ran and it's how he says to run it

I'm at a loss to explain why you're not finding anything collecting in can. It just doesn't make sense.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

So it's been about 3 months. Up until 3 weeks ago there was nothing going into either can. I talked to james at RXP and we tried a couple of ideas to figure out what the problem was. Tried turning the check valves to face upwards. Didnt help. He asked if I had springs in both check valves and that's when I said uhhh what springs? So......he shipped me out the springs that should've been in the check valves. After 3 weeks, I finally had alittle fluid collecting in the large can, the little can.........not so much.

20201231_150136.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, handfiler said:

Sketch up a schematic of your plumbing and send it to Team RXP for commentary. Something is obviously amiss. Personally I'd be reluctant to use such a complex system on my cars. It all seems good in theory but those check valves scare me. They are required on a 3 port can but if they ever fail they can cause problems.

16 hours ago, DrivingofftheEdge said:

UPDATE:

So it's been about 3 months. Up until 3 weeks ago there was nothing going into either can. I talked to james at RXP and we tried a couple of ideas to figure out what the problem was. Tried turning the check valves to face upwards. Didnt help. He asked if I had springs in both check valves and that's when I said uhhh what springs? So......he shipped me out the springs that should've been in the check valves. After 3 weeks, I finally had alittle fluid collecting in the large can, the little can.........not so much.

@handfiler hit the nail on the head.

Good to hear that you got it sorted and shame on Team RXP.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well......... cant get a hold of James at RXP. So I'll ask the community for ideas. This is the schematic I sent to him a few months ago. The only part that is a bit of a question mark is the port on the rear of the valve cover. Some people I see plug it off and put a filter on the fitting on the side of the small can. There doesnt seem to be any straight forward instructions on the 2.0 with the new dual can set up.

thumbnail.jpg

• 2 years later...

2017 edge with a 2.0. Found oil in the compressor pipes going from the turbo to intercooler,in the intercooler and the pipe going under the engine. Took it all apart once, cleaned everything about a year later it's got oil in it again. I have the team xrp double can catch can kit. Needless to say, there is never any oil or liquid of any kind in it. WTF is going on?

You've had issues with this setup for 3+ years. All of that oil collecting in the IC and pipes leads me to think that you have excess crankcase pressure building up.

I don't trust that overly complex setup with the one way check valves. Maybe consider a simpler setup like the J&L separator. I have them  installed (between PCV valve and the intake on both vehicles now and they defiantly collect oil over time. The exit port, charge pipes and IC are dry.

• Like 1

My J&L CC is about the same height as the PCV valve on my 2.7L and works as @handfiler mentioned above.

I would not mount the CC higher than the PCV - gravity would be working against it.

Edit: or the CC higher than the PCV would result in nothing getting up to it or past it, but if that theory is correct the  how is the oil getting to the areas you've reported.

Edited by 1004ron

The problem on the 2.0 is the pcv is on the side of the engine between the intake and block so I would have to mount the catch can close to the bottom of the bumper somewhere. I figured since most of what comes out of the pcv is vapors it shouldn't matter if it's high or low. It's just riding the engine vacuum, shouldn't be sucking oil out then the vapor condenses in the catch can.

I just checked my JLT/J&L catch can and it was 3/4 full of a condensate oil mix.

Mine is about 6" higher than the PCV.

If yours isn't collecting anything, particularly in winter, then contact the supplier for answers, or you could contact J&L to see if they have something for your model.

https://sbfilters.com/collections/oil-separators

I see the install on the 2.0L is a little more work - need to pull the intake manifold back.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, uspc40 said:

I got my 2020 ST last August, roughly 20k miles on it.  Is an oil separator really necessary?  People seem to like the J&L, just wondering if this is necessary, or just engine bling.....

I have the J&L and have to empty it every couple months, particularly in cooler weather which helps the vapors condense in the CC

whether it is necessary..? that's a harder thing to answer. 

I'd say its a good thing for keeping some garbage out of the intake tract

2023-02-04 14.15.31.jpg

• Like 2

Totally agree with Cerberus.  I empty mine every 1000miles and it has about as much as what his picture shows.  I added the JLT unit the first week I bought it (2019 ST with 56k miles).  

Pretty sure I don't want all of that liquid going back into the motor, so for the price and ease of installation and maintenance, I consider it money/time well spent.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, STBEAST said:

I was hoping you guy could point me in the right direction. I went on the J&L website. Looks like they are mostly for Mustang's and wondered what specific model to get. Thanks

I checked my email from the time I purchased and its the JLT Model: 3031P-B

https://www.amazon.com/JLT-Separator-Passenger-Anodized-Ecoboost/dp/B07GJX14QK

https://www.jlosc.com/jl-3-0-oil-separator-passenger-side-2015-2020-edge-sport-st-lincoln-mkx-2-7l-ecoboost/

Edited by 1004ron
  • Thanks 1