Brake Rotor replacement suggestions?

2016 Sport.  Used as a daily by my wife.  Looking for suggestions on front and rear rotors.  I get a pulsation in the pedal and wheel when slowing.  

The rears are groved quite a bit already, too.  31,000 miles.  Considered turning them but not sure it’s worth it when new rotors seem to be about $70/rotor.  Would hate to spend half that to have them warp again in a year and have to buy new rotors.  

Assume it’s ok to sand the pads a bit and reuse?   The pads have plenty of life left on all four corners.  

Thanks!

Shumax

Well, I stand corrected.  The rear pads are over half worn and the groves back there are from the pad not hitting the rotor surface - in other words, run your finger nail over that area and it’s raised, not groved.  Sounds like rotors and pads in the rear for sure. 

front rotors are smooth to the touch.  The pads have a ton of material left.  

conflicted on what to do from here...

The pulsation is caused by warped rotors and need a dial gauge to confirm.

I replaced my front rotors at around 40K miles due to the pulsation/vibration when braking lightly at speed - if this is your symptoms then it points to the front rotors seeing as the brake proportioning would not be applying much to the rears at that time.

The replacement front rotors cured my problem, but I went with drilled and slotted and would advise going with solid rotors because after about 9K miles they started making  a growling noise at low speed braking.

I git a warranty replacement of the drilled and slotted rotors and they still seem OK and have done more the 9K miles.

I'm considering these if the noise and slight vibration returns.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JBDC8V/?coliid=IRA6T7CTOJ3KC&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Brake Rotor replacement suggestions?

Thank you!  

I notice the steering wheels wobble, and I can feel the pulsation, when slowing from higher speeds.  Been down this path before and it was either warped rotors or material build up, from the pads, but n the rotors.  Regardless, replacing the rotors seems a better route than turning them. Just not sure which brand to buy - that will LAST. 

On the rear?   The rotors are in bad shape, as I mentioned.  Pads are less than half.  I feel a slight pulsation in the pedal but it’s very faint.  

Looks like pads and rotors in the rear.  Rotors, only, in the front.  Just comes down to what the best product is for daily driving that will last, be quiet and low dust.  Sign me up for those!  So, what is that combo? :)

Shumax

While, I don't drive a Sport, I've always been a fan of Centric Rotors & Hawk pads. I've had combo in several vehicles that I've owned & even Auto-X'd & road raced on them a few times with no ill effects. 

I'm not sold on drilled & slotted rotors entirely. An engineering buddy of mine says that they loose the ability to dissipate heat as well as as a blank rotor. He said that it's because that you're taking away the metal/material needed to efficiently dissipate the heat. I don't know if that his exact wording, but that's my understanding of it. 

I currently have Centric Premium blanks on all 4 corners, PowerStop Z23 pads in the front & Centric Ceramic pads in the back. Since the wife drives it mostly, I don't have much feedback except that 'Holy Crap I can stop on a dime!'. The handful of times that I've driven it & had to make emergency stops at speed, it's handled it like a champ. No pulsation in the pedal or wobbling in the wheel. We probably have around 30,000 miles on this setup. The OEM rotors & pads barely handled a few highway stops before developing a pulse & wobbly wheel. 

• Like 1

Spent time this morning looking around...

Carquest Platinum painted rotors with a 2 year warranty - front and back.  Wagner thermoquiet ceramic disc brake pad set with limited lifetime warranty.  

$322.12 for the above, shipped to my home.  

Research seems to suggest those are quality parts.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, shumax said:

Spent time this morning looking around...

Carquest Platinum painted rotors with a 2 year warranty - front and back.  Wagner thermoquiet ceramic disc brake pad set with limited lifetime warranty.  

$322.12 for the above, shipped to my home.  

Research seems to suggest those are quality parts.  Any thoughts?

I don't have any experience with them, but they do look good and painted is better than the plated.

Within a week the plated ones I installed were rusting - I painted all four with silver calliper paint and its still looking like the day I painted them months ago.

• Like 1

Thank you!  

I notice the steering wheels wobble, and I can feel the pulsation, when slowing from higher speeds.  Been down this path before and it was either warped rotors or material build up, from the pads, but n the rotors.  Regardless, replacing the rotors seems a better route than turning them. Just not sure which brand to buy - that will LAST. 

On the rear?   The rotors are in bad shape, as I mentioned.  Pads are less than half.  I feel a slight pulsation in the pedal but it’s very faint.  

Looks like pads and rotors in the rear.  Rotors, only, in the front.  Just comes down to what the best product is for daily driving that will last, be quiet and low dust.  Sign me up for those!  So, what is that combo? :)

Shumax

Went this route - attached.  Got a 20% off coupon, so it was about $300, shipped, including some stop quiet and slide pin lube.   

Attack it in a couple of weekends.

Thanks again to everyone!

Shumax

AD6ED1B3-EB6B-4761-919C-F75C6E00D08F.png

• 3 weeks later...

2015 Edge Sport front rotors warped at a little over 40K, lived with it for another  5K, finally said enough.  I have had marginal luck with having warped rotors turned that have not warp again.

Went with Powerstop Z23 brake upgrade kit.  Part number K7231 for the 345mm front rotors.  These are slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads.  Installed them 5K ago and so far no complaints.  I have the EBC version of this kit on one of my other cars and have been happy with it.  The Powerstop quality seems good and the price is pretty competitive. 

Drilled and slotted rotors can make some noise especially with heavy brake applications, just an FYI

At 45K miles the original pads weren't even 50% worn, our driving is mostly highway.

1 hour ago, CharlieB said:

2015 Edge Sport front rotors warped at a little over 40K, lived with it for another  5K, finally said enough.  I have had marginal luck with having warped rotors turned that have not warp again.

Went with Powerstop Z23 brake upgrade kit.  Part number K7231 for the 345mm front rotors.  These are slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads.  Installed them 5K ago and so far no complaints.  I have the EBC version of this kit on one of my other cars and have been happy with it.  The Powerstop quality seems good and the price is pretty competitive. 

Drilled and slotted rotors can make some noise especially with heavy brake applications, just an FYI

At 45K miles the original pads weren't even 50% worn, our driving is mostly highway.

At around 9K miles my Powerstop K7231 brakes started making a noise with vibration - received a complete warranty replacement kit that have gone way past that and still working good.

Those are the last drilled and slotted rotors I'll buy.