Full Size Spare Tire 2020 Edge

mrnaglejr

Have a 2015 Edge Sport with the 21" factory wheels.  I (Actually my wife) wanted something better for a spare so I researched what you can do for a more durable spare tire. 

First, nothing wider than the skinny temp spare will fit under the rear cargo floor without raising it up some.  My solution meant the cargo floor (spare tire cover) needs to raised up 1.5".  Since a 2 x 4 is between 1.5 and 1and 5/8" in thickness I cut a 2 x 4 up so it rests on the ledge where the cargo floor rests and now the cargo floor rests on top of the 2" x 4"s laying on their sides.  There are more elegant solutions but for now I used the Easy button.  That earlier photo of the 2020 Edge spare looks identical to the 2015 we have.

OK so what wheel fits the 2015 Sport with the 345mm front brake rotors.  Now here's where I got lucky.  I have an obsession with the '90 - '95 Thunderbird SC's which also use the 5 - 108mm bolt pattern, after test fitting several T-bird wheels I had, I determined you need an 18" steel wheel to clear the brakes.  So I found a steel wheel part number  X48508 from RTX (available from Amazon) 18X7.5 Bolt Pattern: 5-108, Center Bore: 63.4 with an offset that works on the Edge.  It's a Volvo SUV wheel, thank you Ford for the parts bin engineering when you owned Volvo.

Now for a tire.  To fit in the spare tire well you need to keep the tire diameter below 26" preferable closer to 25" and it has to fit on a 7.5" wide wheel.  One possibility is a 225/40R18 with an XL load capacity as the Edge is no feather weight.  Since tire diameters vary by manufacturer you need to check this out before purchasing a tire.  When I have an opportunity I'll snap a photo of the tire in place and post it in the future.  The spare tire hold down bolt isn't long enough to extend thru the wider wheel, but the jack is secured with its hold down and nothing rattles.

With the Covid 19 pandemic my wife needs to commute monthly between Central Texas and the Chicago area for family, she's not comfortable flying right now so she's driving and wanted a real spare.

BTW love the Edge Sport, it leaves my stock Thunderbird SC in the dust and runs neck and neck with my Modded T-Bird.  Love my modded T-Bird as it's one of the rare 5 speed cars, and there's something about twin screw blower whine.  For my wife as a daily and for longer trips the Edge Sport is pretty stealthy highway cruiser.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 11:08 PM, CharlieB said:

Now for a tire.  To fit in the spare tire well you need to keep the tire diameter below 26" preferable closer to 25" and it has to fit on a 7.5" wide wheel.  One possibility is a 225/40R18 with an XL load capacity as the Edge is no feather weight. 

Just had a thought about this, Ford usually states that using a dissimilar size spare for a long period could cause damage to the AWD system. Also, when using the mini spare that the AWD will switch off to protect driveline components. So what if using a tire that is smaller than regular, but still larger than the mini will put the AWD system in a bit good situation, AWD does not disconnect, but still compromises the system?

From the manual:

Do not use a spare tire of a different size other than the tire provided. If the mini-spare tire is installed, the AWD system may disable automatically and enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. A warning in the information display appears, indicating that the system is in front-wheel drive only mode.  See  Information Messages.  If there is a warning message in the information display from using the spare tire, this indicator should turn off after reinstalling the repaired or replaced normal road tire and cycling the ignition off and on. We recommend that you reinstall the repaired or replaced road tire as soon as possible. Major dissimilar tire sizes between the front and rear axles could cause the AWD system to stop functioning and default to front-wheel drive or damage the AWD system.

What I mean to say, is that as long as you still don't get a fully matching spare whee/tire size match, you are still restricted to the same shortcomings of the mini spare. So just keep the mini, save space & make its installation a bit easier being much lighter.

Edited by omar302

I have a custom Fiberglas tub for the speakers but kept the skinny tire. 

if you are one of the cool members who drives 300k plus imagine the fuel difference on that amount of driving?

the real reason is people don’t know how to change tires and want more space and better handling. The whole idea is if the spare is small and light it’s easier to swap out. 

you can do it as other members have mentioned but it will require modification it’s not just going and buying a full sized tire slap it in the trunk and be on your way.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/the-disappearing-spare-tire.html

Our Edge is FWD (wish it was AWD but we got a great deal on it) so I don't have to worry about the AWD and different diameter tires.  My wife is very capable of changing a tire, when she travels she has a small floor jack and my old cordless impact (all in a travel tool tote).  It takes up some space but the piece of mind is worth it.  As our vehicles age I carry more spare parts and tools.  I have an F250 with the 7.3 diesel with over 300K on it.  The spare parts are now  in their own tote, separate from the tools.

A couple of photos of the larger spare in the rear area and the raised rear cover.

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg