Sync 3 Navigation Map Update

HI Guys,

Got the email indicting there is a new Sync 3 Nav update available. To my surprise they want $150 for this thing to ship it to me. Is there anywhere I can download the file, so I can load it on a flashdrive and perform the update?

Thanks!

Edited by baronizer

15 hours ago, baronizer said:

So if I tried installing from another USB Ford sent someone else for their Edge, it would not work? That's cray cray! Nickel and dimers!

You're trying to steal a copywrite protected item to save yourself money, and you're accusing Ford of being a Nickel and dimer??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, baronizer said:

Pretty sure they got plenty to cover it lifetime when I walked out the door with the keys. 

Here and all of the other map makers spend millions each year to continuously develop and update maps each year. (A good example is the app called Waze paid $1.3 billion to Google for access to their maps).  Ford charged us for the hardware and (to my understanding) never told us that we would get software updates for free for life.  There's no real reason we need to update each year, I used to update every three years. And I also use Google maps on my cell phone when I need it.  (But I prefer using my navigation system whenever I can).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gary B. said:

Did my NAV update yesterday. 12G download to a USB stick, and then had to unzip it and move one of the files on the stick to another folder.

Then, put USB stick in vehicle drove for about 35 minutes for the complete update!

(2020 Ford Edge SEL and the first update was complimentary.)

Ford - Sync3 Map Update

35 minutes...you sure it completed the entire update (installation complete message came up and stayed there without a reboot)?

1 hour ago, jmr061 said:

35 minutes...you sure it completed the entire update (installation complete message came up and stayed there without a reboot)?

Did not see any message while I was driving (ther than the one about software updating), and later (after stopping and starting engine) I looked at the "About Sync" screen and it showed my new Navigation Maps Version was NA 119; it was formerly NA 118!

50 minutes ago, Gary B. said:

Did not see any message while I was driving (ther than the one about software updating), and later (after stopping and starting engine) I looked at the "About Sync" screen and it showed my new Navigation Maps Version was NA 119; it was formerly NA 118!

You did not do a complete installation then.  

19 hours ago, jmr061 said:

You did not do a complete installation then.  

Oh.

The rest of my Sync3 stuff gets updated via wi-fi, while 2020 Edge is parked in garage. 

I read somewhere that NAV is the only item in Sync3 that is not updated via wi-fi directly to vehicle.

Display in car mentions that everything is up to date.

https://help.ford.com/update-sync tells me

Your SYNC system (SYNC3 v3.4.20136) is up to date.

after I typed in my VIN.

Edited by Gary B.
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Gary B. said:

Oh.

The rest of my Sync3 stuff gets updated via wi-fi, while 2020 Edge is parked in garage. 

I read somewhere that NAV is the only item in Sync3 that is not updated via wi-fi directly to vehicle.

after I typed in my VIN.

The map update installs in segments rebooting automatically during the process.  Unless you got the final static pop up saying it was done, you pulled the USB early and a proper install was not completed.

Edited by jmr061

On 10/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, Gary B. said:

Oh.

after I typed in my VIN.

I did the NAV update again while driving/parking around a vacant shopping mall for over and hour and finally did see the several segment messages  I missed  on first try.

Gee, after doing the big update my backup camera has not had a single failure, that is part of a recall:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/ford-and-lincoln-recall-2020-models-for-faulty-backup-cameras/

Prior to the software upgrade camera was failing about 50% of the time I put vehicle in reverse!

Edited by Gary B.