2008 Ford Edge Wheel Size Confusion

michaelfriesen

Hi there, I'm wondering if somebody can clear up some confusion for me and perhaps educate me a bit.

We have a 2008 Ford Edge which is in mint condition that we intend on keeping for quite some time, it has very low kilometres and has been babied from day one. We need a new set of tires and I don't want to fork out 1400 bucks to put them on the old, somewhat questionable-looking original 'chrome plastic' rims. I would love to put a set of original (not OEM) Ford Edge Sport rims on this vehicle and this is where the confusion begins.

The Sport rims that I'm looking at are from the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edges (I've attached a photo of a 2012 Ford Edge Sport with the exact same rims I want). I understand that our 2008 Ford edge has a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. This is the exact same bolt pattern that the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edges have. The offset on our 2008 Ford Edge is 35 - 40.

But -- the offset on the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edge is 39 - 44 -- different than our 2008.

I've tried and tried to digest all this and make sense out of all the info I can find on the net but it's just not happening. Royally confused.

So to make a long story short, can I put these gorgeous 2012 rims on our older 2008 Ford Edge? Will they work? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah they should work. In fact, it's rather simple to decipher: All first generation Edges (2006-2014) have the same bolt pattern (5 x 114.3 mm) and the second generation (2015 and up) have a smaller bolt pattern (5 x 108 mm). About the rear spacing, I think all Edges could originally be had with different wheels models and sizes but with the same offset. I put some 22" on my girlfriend's 2011 MKX ( which originally came with 20's) and they fit perfectly like if the vehicle left the factory with them.

Hope this clears it up a little

good luck!

Claude. ;)

bolt pattern and offset are fine.  HOWEVER, the hub bore is different.  2011-2014 hub bore is smaller than 2007-2010, at 63.4 vs 70.6. So you will have to bore out the Sport wheels to fit correctly.  You CAN find adapters instead, but adapters are not good in the long run.  Plus you might need new studs to mount the lug nuts onto if you use adapters.

• 1 month later...

I found a set of 22 inch Ford Edge Sport rims from a 2011 Ford Edge (absolutely identical to the picture at the top of this thread). The company I'm buying them from will bore them out to 70.6 and have the curb rash repaired. Very reputable company here in town (one of the best).

They held the 22 inch rim with a mounted 265/40R22 tire up to my 2008 Ford Edge and it looked awesome compared to the 18 inch wheels and tires we currently have on it right now.

There is a definite diameter difference, however. The 22 inch wheel sits a fair amount higher and fills in the wheel way more than the 18 inch.

So now my question is this: does anybody know how to calibrate a speedometer for the difference in wheel size? Is this a programming thing that's done in the vehicle's computer or is it a mechanical thing?

Thanks again in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

At least in the 2012+ Edges, you can program the new tire sizes with FORScan, then again use FORScan to relearn vehicle data so the PCM picks up the changes.  Not sure if that data location is the same on a 2008 tho - won't hurt to make a backup and see how it goes.

Site note about the offset - you need the rim width to properly calculate offset. The offset alone is meaningless when comparing different width wheels.

• Like 1