Exhaust tips - painting

circatee

6 minutes ago, bobyellow said:

I did the dip spray. Was good until I backed into someone. ?

IMG_2655.thumb.JPG.1de49ccb3fc602943fe8ee60736bdcd4.JPG

Now I like that! Looks nice. Saw another photo online, and oddly, I was turned off from it. My other thought is, if I do this, do I want to de-badge it, too, at least remove the EDGE badge. 

Still on the fence about this. I change my cars so bloody often, still trying to decide if the whole process is even worth it. 

But, again, I like the look of your (sorry for your bumping into someone). Thanks for taking the time to post the photo... 

11 hours ago, circatee said:

Thanks for posting. I have actually seen this video. And, to be honest, I was not wowed by it. Then again, as per the video, "This is what the customer wanted...". 

Agreed. I think bobyellow's exhausts look much better than that expensive custom job done in the video. Easier to put back to stock too.

2 hours ago, txaggie said:

I used plastidip and I really liked the effect.  And like has already been pointed out, I can remove it easily.

F96432BA-DC44-4C2E-800D-83493F68BCCE.jpeg

From a colour match perspective, this looks NICE!

And, during the install of the plastidip did you remove the exhaust tips, or simply put paper/plastic around it all?

Edited by circatee

14 minutes ago, circatee said:

From a colour match perspective, this looks NICE!

And, during the install of the plastidip did you remove the exhaust tips, or simply put paper/plastic around it all?

I actually removed them.  There is one screw on the top that is a little difficult to get to, but worth the effort to not have to mask the bumper off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, txaggie said:

I actually removed them.  There is one screw on the top that is a little difficult to get to, but worth the effort to not have to mask the bumper off.

Brilliant, thanks. Curious, did you have to raise the car, or were you able to get it while laying on the ground? 

5 hours ago, circatee said:

Brilliant, thanks. Curious, did you have to raise the car, or were you able to get it while laying on the ground? 

Probably didn't need to raise the rear wheels to clear, but I backed it up on the lip of my garage entrance to get me a little more room to work with, probably a couple of inches.  The biggest thing is that the screw on the top, you will not be able to see it, you will have to feel for it.  I actually took video with my phone of the top of it to make sure what I was trying to find.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I've got a can of the below which I think will be more durable than plasti-dip.

Rust-Oleum Universal Satin Black Spray Paint and Primer In One

That certainly looks interesting. I will add, according to the website, it has an X for 'high heat', 'water resistant' and 'for use on automotive'. 

Obviously, not sure what Lowe's would determine as 'high heat'. 

Last week I saw something similar online, but, for high heat. Need to find the name of it again. 

17 minutes ago, handfiler said:

The exhaust tips in actuality are trim pieces (bezels) that don't make contact with the exhaust pipes. High heat paint really isn't necessary for the application.

Ah, touche'. I was going to go to The Dragons Tail this weekend. But, seems I now have other plans... 

Edited by circatee

On 6/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, circatee said:

PS: If using that Rust-Oleum, should one sand the exhaust tip, with a piece of sandpaper first?

If so, what is the recommended level? Thanks all... 

I found the following two videos to be very informative:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 6/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, 1004ron said:

I've been planning to repaint the black part of my Sports tips using satin black, but now after seeing yours I'm going to paint the entire thing black.

About two years later I got this done - I also painted the chrome part black.

Used the satin black with satin clear coat.

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

• Like 3