did you know that remote start doesn't work with the hood open?

i was reading an article about the new corvette and they mentioned that the remote start doesn't work when the hood is open. of course it makes perfect sense since you wouldn't want to start the engine while someone has their hands in the engine bay. it's just something that i never thought of. i figured that would probably be the case on my '20 ST so i opened the hood and tried the remote start button. the engine did not start and the horn honked as it does if you leave a door or the liftgate ajar.

there you go. a bit of trivia for today ?

did anyone know this already?

Edited by ben senise
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess that explains why the Model T wouldn't start unless both hood side panels were closed when using the remote starter crank on the front.

With a hood panel open, it just went aoogha, aoogha. ?

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Haz said:

With a hood panel open, it just went aoogha, aoogha. ?

Ahh yes,, using the remote start option on a Model T. So simple, to remote start, you simply turned the ignition switch on, placing the emergency brake which put the transmission in neutral, pull the spark lever all the way down and move the gas lever down; just slightly. Then go to the front on the car and place the crank handle in the slot all the way to engage the crankshaft. It should be between the seven and nine o'clock position, making certain your thumb was on the same side as your fingers. Give a quick pull and if the Ford god was smiling on you, you would be blessed with a satisfying  chitty, chitty, bang, bang, frompolilly, frompolilly, wheeze.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Windows and sunroof have to be closed as well. 

You can remote start with them opened, even with an open door/liftgate it would still allow remote start. At least that was/is the case with the Ford factory remote system since 2011.

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

You can remote start with them opened, even with an open door/liftgate it would still allow remote start. At least that was/is the case with the Ford factory remote system since 2011.

Not in North America.

• Like 2

My prior levity aside, discussions here often allow me to learn something new.

In my nine years of MKX ownership, I've used the remote start function three or four times.

From my 2012 MKX, I recalled the need to press the door-lock button on the Intelligent Access key before double-pressing the remote start button. I always presumed that was to deny access into the vehicle while the remotely started vehicle was running. Not so.

Just went outside and opened 2015 MKX driver's door. Pushing door-lock button, indeed, actuated doors to lock, after which, double-pushing remote start button caused MKX to start with driver's door open.

Closed driver's door, opened rear liftgate, pushed door-lock button, doors locked, double-pushed remote start button, MKX started with rear liftgate open.

These were not the outcomes I expected.

Remote Start information in Edge/MKX Users Manuals from 2011 to 2021 is essentially the same...

Remote Start Description - 2015 MKX Owner Manual.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Not in North America.

As also confirmed by @Haz, this is the case in North American Fords. I currently own a 2016 Edge Sport & a 2015 Lincoln MKS, both do it, so did 2012 & 2013 Explorers and 2015 Expedition, Flex owned by friends. All NA models. I would be surprised if your Ford did NOT remote start with a door or the liftgate open.

Edited by omar302

3 hours ago, Haz said:

These were not the outcomes I expected.

With my previous 2011 MKX, pressing the shifter's button while remote started would shutdown the engine. This was annoying when I forgot to press the engine start button & tried to shift out of park the engine would shutdown. Even though the shifter was locked, still pressing the button killed the engine. Is it still the case with your 2015 MKX? Thankfully it is not anymore with my current 2016 Edge & 2015 MKS.

After being remote-started, the 2015 MKX stays running when the release button on the locked shifter is pushed.

The 2015 also shows a "To Drive: Press Brake and START Button" reminder message in the left side Information Display.

This "To Drive" reminder was initially added to 2014 models.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Well, that's a jaw dropper. It seems logical that Ford considered that the car had the doors closed when starting, requiring only that they be locked. But it would appear that they never thought of the doors open and locked as an acceptable alternate.  

Makes no sense to allow the car to be running, unattended and doors open allowing anyone access!

That's a HUGE oops!

9 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Well, that's a jaw dropper. It seems logical that Ford considered that the car had the doors closed when starting, requiring only that they be locked. But it would appear that they never thought of the doors open and locked as an acceptable alternate.  

Makes no sense to allow the car to be running, unattended and doors open allowing anyone access!

That's a HUGE oops!

I don't see any reason to prevent remote starting with doors open, there is no safety or security risk I can think off that's more than starting it & letting it idle. For me, with our hot climate, remote starting has been a must have convenience since 2012 and I use it most of the time. Remote starting with a door or liftgate open means I can start it & get the A/C to start cooling while I'm loading things, or if someone (usually kids) entered the vehicle before me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

I was thinking that if your not around and remote start your car and anyone can pop into it, they could just drive it away. For an auto thief, not that hard to crawl on through the moonroof and ... yippee!!

The shift lever is locked during remote start. With the key being inside & pressing the start button, the vehicle wouldn't move. Can't even release the parking brake.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, omar302 said:

As also confirmed by @Haz, this is the case in North American Fords. I currently own a 2016 Edge Sport & a 2015 Lincoln MKS, both do it, so did 2012 & 2013 Explorers and 2015 Expedition, Flex owned by friends. All NA models. I would be surprised if your Ford did NOT remote start with a door or the liftgate open.

I missed the transition in the thread from hood to doors.  My 2014 Fusion will start with the door open, but will not start with the hood open.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 2:37 PM, Haz said:

The 2015 also shows a "To Drive: Press Brake and START Button" reminder message in the left side Information Display.

i wasn't sure if my memory was faulty or not so i checked yesterday and can confirm that on my 2020 ST if i use the remote start i must NOT press the brake pedal while pressing the start/stop button. if i do, the engine shuts down. and if i recall correctly, this was the same on my 2016 Ti.

i find it strange that a Lincoln would be different. Could it be a country specific behavior?

My 2015 MKX is still GEN 1, whereas 2015 and later Edge are GEN 2, as well as 2016 & later MKX/Nautilus are GEN 2.

Interestingly -- as you say -- GEN 2 Edge/MKX/Nautilus "To Drive:" directions after remote starting are different from GEN 1 vehicles.

According to the 2016 MKX and the 2020 Edge Owners Manuals, the Information Display message should be...

GEN 2 Edge & MKX Remote Start Information Display 'To Drive' Message.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

1 hour ago, ben senise said:

i wasn't sure if my memory was faulty or not so i checked yesterday and can confirm that on my 2020 ST if i use the remote start i must NOT press the brake pedal while pressing the start/stop button. if i do, the engine shuts down. and if i recall correctly, this was the same on my 2016 Ti.

i find it strange that a Lincoln would be different. Could it be a country specific behavior?

I don't remember right now what would be shown on the IPC, but I can press the start button with or without pressing the brake pedal on my 2016 Edge Sport while it is remote started. It does seem strange that pressing the brake pedal would shut down the engine.

• Like 1

In my 2015 MKX, fulfilling the GEN 1 Information Display message by pushing the Start Button with foot already pressing on brake pedal causes the gauge cluster and center stack to awaken and the normal memory seat & steering wheel positions to be resumed. That concurrent  brake/button action apparently normalizes the vehicle's running state and removes the engine shutdown potential. The gear shift remains locked until the brake pedal is pressed and then the transmission can be shifted out of Park.

The GEN 2 procedure represents a streamlining of the "To Drive:" process with the Intelligent Key present -- at least on U.S. paper -- apparently substituting the the Gear Shift interlock button for the GEN 1 action of pressing the Start button, such that stepping on the brake pedal & shifting is all that's necessary to get a GEN 2 vehicle underway.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Haz said:

The GEN 2 procedure represents a streamlining of the "To Drive:" process with the Intelligent Key present -- at least on U.S. paper -- apparently substituting the the Gear Shift interlock button for the GEN 1 action of pressing the Start button, such that stepping on the brake pedal & shifting is all that's necessary to get a GEN 2 vehicle underway.

Sorry, I might have not been clear, the gear shift interlock is still there and you still need to press the start button (with or without the brake pedal). It has been mostly the same process between my previous 2011 MKX & current 2016 Edge. The only difference was that on the 2011, pressing the shifter lock button before the start button while remote started would have shutdown the engine (even though the shifter is still locked). On the 2016 nothing happens when pressing the shifter lock button before the start button (shifter remain locked).

• Like 1