Stalling at red lights, anyone ever fixed this?

Carnye

I've got. 2013 Ford Edge 2.0 Ecoboost Limited.  Month ago oil pressure light/P2196 would come on.  Car would die.  I replaced purge valve, oil pressure switch,  didn't help.  Firestone said it was battery, new battery.  4 weeks later, same thing happening.   I can't find any videos of the 2.0 bc the purge valve on this car is under driver seat.  Firestone can't duplicate the issue.  I saw TSB 13-12-12 online that sounds like my issue.  When it happens the CEL comes on, then after a day or 2 of it not happening the CEL turns off.    

When in park, it starts and runs fine.  If I fill up with gas, it won't start for 2 to 3 cranks, then every couple of days I'll be at a red-light, the rpms will start to drop, it idles extremely rough and if I don't Rev it back up,  the car will die and I'll be stuck in traffic.   They are going to keep my car overnight and try to duplicate it again tomorrow, but please tell me someone here with the 2.0 Ecoboost 2013 Ford Edge 70k+miles has experienced this and knows what the fix is.  Noone can figure it out.  Thank you for your time and any help is appreciated.  I'm desperate. 

Mileage is around 72k.  Oil is usually 5w30, serviced regularly.  Never had any issues other than the door ajar light,  rear driver side.  Wife doesn't know what brand they put in it when it's changed.  It's changed every 3 to 4k miles.  I can't read the code bc I don't have a port.  Mechanic can't get it to replicate to pull a code.  They've had it for 2 days.  Last code I was able to get from it before they replaced the battery was the o2 bank sensor code, p2196 I think?  But that hasn't popped up since battery was replaced.

Just called the dealership.  They can't even look at it until August 25th.  That was the earliest appointment they had.

Edited by Carnye

1 hour ago, Carnye said:

Mileage is around 72k.  Oil is usually 5w30, serviced regularly.  Never had any issues other than the door ajar light,  rear driver side.  Wife doesn't know what brand they put in it when it's changed.  It's changed every 3 to 4k miles.  I can't read the code bc I don't have a port.  Mechanic can't get it to replicate to pull a code.  They've had it for 2 days.  Last code I was able to get from it before they replaced the battery was the o2 bank sensor code, p2196 I think?  But that hasn't popped up since battery was replaced.

Just called the dealership.  They can't even look at it until August 25th.  That was the earliest appointment they had.

Find another shop, if the cel came on there will be a stored code even if it went off.

• Like 2

I drove my wife's car today.  When I put gas in the car, soon as I insert gas nozzle, I hear a hissing sound like it's relieving pressure.  All the videos online show a purge valve under the hood.  The 2 0 Ecoboost doesn't have that part.  Think it's a fuel pressure sensor?  Or do I need that spider leg looking assembly on the engine that includes the fuel purge valve?  Bc I replaced what i thought was the purge valve under the driver seat.   I just don't know why there is absolutely no info on the 2 0 Edge, only the V6 with purge valve under the hood.

have you checked codes?

may need a new filler neck if the valves in it are bad.

the canister vent valve is under the cabin, the purge valve is under the hood. i believe someone mentioned on this forum you can use a fusion 2.0 purge valve instead, but you do have to get the connectors off the old purge valve first.

• Like 2

I can't find the part.   Autozone, advanced,  etc.   I see the solenoid under the hood but I'm not understanding how its connected.   The part # says it's for an F150.  9F945.  When I removed 2 of the connectors that snap on/off.  One of them spilled gas from the hose.  I have a GMC Acadia that did this and the part looks similar.  Why is this info so impossible to find?  Looks nothing like the valve in all the youtube videos from this year model.   I'm sure that hose isn't supposed to leak gas tho.  I'll attach pictures. If I buy a new one,  the hose that says flammable, is it reusable or do I need that part as well?  In the photo the hose with the white plastic on the end is the hose that leaked gas.  .

Screenshot_20210729-225935_Gallery.jpg

I ordered part bb5z-9g271-b, will be here next week.  It kind of looked like gas vapors had accumulated under the engine cover bc the top of it looked wet in some spots.  Was hard to tell what it was bc the purge valve made everything smell like gas.  Fingers crossed this fixes my issue.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Carnye said:

I've got. 2013 Ford Edge 2.0 Ecoboost Limited.  Month ago oil pressure light/P2196 would come on.  Car would die.  I replaced purge valve, oil pressure switch,  didn't help.  Firestone said it was battery, new battery.  4 weeks later, same thing happening.   I can't find any videos of the 2.0 bc the purge valve on this car is under driver seat.  Firestone can't duplicate the issue.  I saw TSB 13-12-12 online that sounds like my issue.  When it happens the CEL comes on, then after a day or 2 of it not happening the CEL turns off.    

When in park, it starts and runs fine.  If I fill up with gas, it won't start for 2 to 3 cranks, then every couple of days I'll be at a red-light, the rpms will start to drop, it idles extremely rough and if I don't Rev it back up,  the car will die and I'll be stuck in traffic.   They are going to keep my car overnight and try to duplicate it again tomorrow, but please tell me someone here with the 2.0 Ecoboost 2013 Ford Edge 70k+miles has experienced this and knows what the fix is.  Noone can figure it out.  Thank you for your time and any help is appreciated.  I'm desperate. 

I had this issue. Hard to start after gas fill ups at times. Rpm’s jump erratically at times, stalls, loss of power etc.  Went through 6 different purge valves. Most shops use aftermarket brands so I took a shot in the dark and went to a ford dealer and bought a ford OEM purge valve to make sure it was factory and I haven’t had a problem since. Make sure yer using a FACTORY oem purge valve. Something to do with latency and PWM signal. But since using motorcraft OEM ford purge valve it has completely went away. Not venting tank vapors efficiently back into engine can flood or starve it depending on how well it works with the engines ecm. So OEM. Make sure it’s whats in there! hope it helps. 

Edited by inkslinginmofo77