3.5mm audio jack input to USB

On 9/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, lildisco said:

Don't know what your goals are, but have you tried an FM Modulator? 

Thanks. Yes, but they don't work too well. And yet another 12v connection required for something that's not very reliable.

I'm looking for a reliable wired connection. The stereo system with Sync 1 and 2 in my previous Fords all had a 3.5mm aux input socket. But that's too simple for Ford now. They go and replace it with another USB. I don't need two USBs!

Edited by niceonept
  • Like 1

I don't know if this would work for your purposes, but phones that delete the 3.5mm audio jack have to use a USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter cable which is pretty cheap.. and they apparently make it in a USB-B format too.

For way under $100..

(hang on, the fist one i found does not work for your purposes)

ok, this is apparently more of a niche market item than i realized... 

Edited by Cerberus

15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I don't know if this would work for your purposes, but phones that delete the 3.5mm audio jack have to use a USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter cable which is pretty cheap.. and they apparently make it in a USB-B format too.

For way under $100..

(hang on, the fist one i found does not work for your purposes)

ok, this is apparently more of a niche market item than i realized... 

Thanks. At first glance, yes, there appears to be loads of these things on the market. But all I have found so far are for providing audio out (e.g. from PCs to headphones) rather than audio in, specifically for Sync3.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:05 AM, niceonept said:

Has anyone actually bought and used one of these adaptors.......do they work ? 

Ford - Ford SYNC 3 USB to 3.5mm AUX Adapter (Compatible with All SYNC 3 Vehicles)

https://naviks.com/i-24076199-ford-sync-3-usb-to-3-5mm-aux-adapter-compatible-with-all-sync-3-vehicles.html?ref=brand:97234

At $100, they seem incredibly expensive for what they are.

Anyone aware of a cheaper alternative?

what are you trying to connect to your Sync3? this device you posted appears to convert analog sound signal from the 3.5mm hack to a digital signal on the USB plug. i'm curious to know what source you've got that you want to use.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ben senise said:

what are you trying to connect to your Sync3? this device you posted appears to convert analog sound signal from the 3.5mm hack to a digital signal on the USB plug. i'm curious to know what source you've got that you want to use.

A number of devices Ben, including 2 Classic iPods (my Touch and Nanos just about work when connected to USB , but Sync 3 refuses to play any of my Classics) and a Toshiba personal stereo cassette player.

Edited by niceonept

3 hours ago, niceonept said:

A number of devices Ben, including 2 Classic iPods (my Touch and Nanos just about work when connected to USB , but Sync 3 refuses to play any of my Classics) and a Toshiba personal stereo cassette player.

pete,

i had a quick search on the inter-webs and found quite a few people posting more or less the same quandary as yours. i was unable to find a solution.

the problem i see is that you're going from digital source files on the ipods to analog (3.5mm output line) back to digital (for the USB) and then back to analog (out the speakers). there has got to be a noticeable degradation along the line. the cassettes are a different story but again, if it's music you've got on there, you could source the same albums in digital format.

are you not able to copy the material on your various sources to a USB thumb drive? don't know if it's an option for you but i have Spotify and it has almost every album i've ever owned. i rarely listen to my music files anymore despite the fact that i have thousands of songs on a thumb drive in FLAC format and a few MPEG files.

i understand that your original question was about getting a device to get your analog output onto Sync3 and of course, your use case could be something entirely different that i'm not considering but it would be the easiest and most straightforward solution.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ben senise said:

i understand that your original question was about getting a device to get your analog output onto Sync3 and of course, your use case could be something entirely different that i'm not considering but it would be the easiest and most straightforward solution.

Thanks for your suggestions Ben but I have already considered those and they are not practical or what I want to do or achieve.

Yes, I could easily move over my entire digital music library to a thumb drive but with the size it is it'll take more than a day do do and I am then stuck with how to sync and update it as I add songs and playlists and make changes. Are you aware of a progamme that syncs iTunes to a memory stick?  I don't think there is one. Navigation of music through Sync 3 is awful too - would much rather do it through a device.

I have Spotify but that is not comparable to having all your music on a dedicated music storage device, such as an iPod. Not everything is on Spotify and it requires a good 3G signal to work properly. Where I live there are unfortunately large areas where we get no 3G coverage. I would also have to spend ages replicating all my playlists on Spotify.

With regards degradation of sound quality, in all my previous Fords with Sync 1 and 2 it was negligible when playing through the 3.5mm aux socket. Not that I had to do that mind you, because Sync 1 and Sync 2 worked perfectly with all my iPods!

Looks like the $100 device (with $50 shipping!) will be my only option.

Edited by niceonept

Would something like this work.in your case? (I guess I'm still confused as to exactly what your trying to accomplish).

Rexing FMT2 FM Transmitter Car Charger w/Bluetooth 5.0, MicroSD Port, Wireless Audio Adapter USB & Type C, Quick Charge 3.0, Enhanced Bass Music Player, Hands-Free Calling, Siri&Google Assistant

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4FQ5GD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3Z9M70V7PG4YAMTHRMPW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, niceonept said:

Thanks for your suggestions Ben but I have already considered those and they are not practical or what I want to do or achieve.

Yes, I could easily move over my entire digital music library to a thumb drive but with the size it is it'll take more than a day do do and I am then stuck with how to sync and update it as I add songs and playlists and make changes. Are you aware of a progamme that syncs iTunes to a memory stick?  I don't think there is one. Navigation of music through Sync 3 is awful too - would much rather do it through a device.

I have Spotify but that is not comparable to having all your music on a dedicated music storage device, such as an iPod. Not everything is on Spotify and it requires a good 3G signal to work properly. Where I live there are unfortunately large areas where we get no 3G coverage. I would also have to spend ages replicating all my playlists on Spotify.

With regards degradation of sound quality, in all my previous Fords with Sync 1 and 2 it was negligible when playing through the 3.5mm aux socket. Not that I had to do that mind you, because Sync 1 and Sync 2 worked perfectly with all my iPods!

Looks like the $100 device (with $50 shipping!) will be my only option.

ok, got it. i understand your predicament. if you do end up getting that device, i hope you get acceptable sound quality from it. managing music libraries is tough. i don't do apple anymore. i was a HUGE apple evangelist from the first mac until my iPhone 4S. but then steve died and the company went to hell as far as i'm concerned. beautiful products but they just don't compete with the other things out there and they don't care. it's their walled garden.

with regards to sound degradation in your previous fords, the sound was going from digital files on the ipods to an analog signal and them amplified. so there was only one conversion.

7 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Would something like this work.in your case? (I guess I'm still confused as to exactly what your trying to accomplish).

Rexing FMT2 FM Transmitter Car Charger w/Bluetooth 5.0, MicroSD Port, Wireless Audio Adapter USB & Type C, Quick Charge 3.0, Enhanced Bass Music Player, Hands-Free Calling, Siri&Google Assistant

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4FQ5GD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3Z9M70V7PG4YAMTHRMPW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

IMNSHO, fm transmitters absolutely suck. the sound is bad, there's often interference, static, etc.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

I use iTunes export (freeware program not the iTunes built in function) with iTunes on windows.  It exports the music to the thumb drive along with playlists. 

that works to export but i think pete wants to manage his music, as he says "sync and update it as I add songs and playlists and make changes."

good luck pete, please let us know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

I use this to manage my music library: Media Monkey A bit of a learning curve involved but it's worth the effort. They have versions for both iPhone and Android formats.

Software for the PC, app for the phone. I discovered it years ago when I made the switch from iPhone to Android. It facilitates transferring your library and playlists to USB a breeze.

The pro version has a built in CD ripping tool along with several other useful tools.

I would skip the dongle A/D converters. The end results will be disappointing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ben senise said:

good luck pete, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I must've been spoilt by Sync 1&2 giving me immediate access to all the songs and playlists on my 500GB iPod.

Probably best to struggle on using the little Nanos for now, rather than forking out $150 (plus unknown import duties) for a tiny USB dongle which I don't know if it works.

Unless anyone has actually bought one and can recommend it?

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you have an iPod why aren’t you using that?  Or an iPhone?

Because iPod Classics just won't work with Sync 3. (iPhones don't have enough storage for my music library).

Sync3 skips tracks, stutters, is unresponsive and is forever indexing (which means navigation menus don't work.  And yes I mean forever - like ever since I've owned the car!). So far I have never been able to keep a Classic plugged in long enough to play just one album without interruption and crashing. 

I've checked out all the relevant posts on the sister forum for Ford Sync and it is a widely reported problem which despite Ford's claim that Sync3 plays iPods, appears to have no remedy. Hence seeking to connect through an aux input, the old fashioned way.

Edited by niceonept

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

I use this to manage my music library: Media Monkey A bit of a learning curve involved but it's worth the effort. They have versions for both iPhone and Android formats.

Software for the PC, app for the phone. I discovered it years ago when I made the switch from iPhone to Android. It facilitates transferring your library and playlists to USB a breeze.

The pro version has a built in CD ripping tool along with several other useful tools.

I would skip the dongle A/D converters. The end results will be disappointing.

Thanks, that's interesting. How exactly would it work with my music library?

Does it upload all your music library to the cloud which can then be streamed back from a smartphone to the car's stereo? I tried that with Google Music and it was a mare. Syncing and updating the library and playlists took forever and wouldn't work in poor or no reception areas.

Or is it done some other way?

4 hours ago, niceonept said:

Thanks, that's interesting. How exactly would it work with my music library?

Does it upload all your music library to the cloud which can then be streamed back from a smartphone to the car's stereo? I tried that with Google Music and it was a mare. Syncing and updating the library and playlists took forever and wouldn't work in poor or no reception areas.

Or is it done some other way?

It's been a while since I've dealt with iTunes so I cant give you the specifics on how to get your files from there to your PC but it's doable as I was able to do it.

The first step is to consolidate your music files on your PC. I have mine organized with sub folders of artists/albums/artwork all in a main folder. You then associate the main folder with Media Monkey. The software will take some time to become familiar with but it's worth the effort as it will make life easier in the long run.

The thing to do is to create playlists of your favourites. Then you can transfer the playlists directly to your thumb drive. Once plugged in Sync will then index everything for you and you will then have all of your music available to you with a few gestures on the screen or better yet by voice command.

Once I went Android I re-ripped all of my CD's to FLAC format and dumped the apple music data. A lot of audiophiles have converted their LP collections to digital and made them available online in FLAC format.

I included a couple of images of the PC and phone app interfaces. The phone app is Android Auto compatible (Carplay too I would imagine). I use the phone to access my music library and stream music to the home and garage systems.

Screenshot_20210922-175125_MediaMonkey.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-22 175028.jpg

Edited by handfiler
  • Thanks 1