P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected

EdgeGermany

Hello,

I have to deal with the P0456. The 2011 Edge workshop manual doesn't help at all.

What should I do to find the leak? Is there any procedure to follow? What kind of tools should I use? I am living in Germany and I have to order any tool needed to find and fix the leak by myself.

I already checked the gas cap and had a look below the car..... the guys from the workshop next door would pressurize the system to find the leak, but we do not have the right tools and we do not know the max pressure we can use without damaging the system.

Thank you for any advise,

Rene

• 7 months later...

It's interesting: I just started to have my CEL come on, and I had a reading on the code and it was for the EVAP system (specifically P0456). There are several codes for the EVAP system, and while some indicate it can be a fuel "cap" issue (capless fuel system on newer Edges), the P0456 seems to be one code that indates the fuel cap is not the issue (read this link: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456)

So, I popped open my Haynes (Page 6-22) manual and found some images that help locate the EVAP system. For me, the connections on the bottom of the car have a protective cover. This cover was damaged on my car (likely a result of parking in some of the snow we had here in NJ), and I was able to find my problem.

I know you posted this some months back, and you may have found a resolution, but I figured you would still like a response (and possible course of action).

I couldn't upload the image to this site, so I am linking ot the image on a free hosting site. Hopefully it sticks around.EVAP_Images.jpg

Edited by NatG
  • Like 1

NatG, what did you find the cause was if I may ask? Were the covers damaged or was it hose connections under the covers?

Thank you!

It's interesting: I just started to have my CEL come on, and I had a reading on the code and it was for the EVAP system (specifically P0456). There are several codes for the EVAP system, and while some indicate it can be a fuel "cap" issue (capless fuel system on newer Edges), the P0456 seems to be one code that indates the fuel cap is not the issue (read this link: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456)

So, I popped open my Haynes (Page 6-22) manual and found some images that help locate the EVAP system. For me, the connections on the bottom of the car have a protective cover. This cover was damaged on my car (likely a result of parking in some of the snow we had here in NJ), and I was able to find my problem.

I know you posted this some months back, and you may have found a resolution, but I figured you would still like a response (and possible course of action).

I couldn't upload the image to this site, so I am linking ot the image on a free hosting site. Hopefully it sticks around.EVAP_Images.jpg

Edited by maddogsvolusia

You mean the two or three gallons I squeeze into the tank after the first click? Count me in on the abuse of my evap.

Just curious, any of you all top off the tank after shutoff? These systems get more sensitive to that year by year, and apparently some of the "overage" (i.e., raw fuel) can spill into the EVAP system.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From the Owners Manual:
Note under "Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system" section:

Note: A fuel spillage concern may occur if overfilling the fuel tank. Do not overfill the tank to the point that the fuel is able to bypass the fuel filler nozzle. The overfilled fuel may run down the drain located within the fuel filler housing and to the ground.

Also, under the "Filling the Tank" section:

For consistent results when filling the fuel tank:

• Turn the engine/ignition switch to the off position prior to refueling, an error in the reading will result if the engine is left running.
  • Use the same filling rate setting (low — medium — high) each time the tank is filled.
  • Allow no more than two automatic click-offs when filling.
  • Always use fuel with the recommended octane rating.
  • Use a known quality gasoline, preferably a national brand.
  • Have the vehicle loading and distribution the same every time.
  • Your results will be most accurate if your filling method is consistent.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue here. P0456. NatG says his is underneath and damaged by snow, but WWWPerfA_ZN0W says it by the firewall. Which is which? I see the one by my firewall, It doesn't seem to be pulling a vacuum like the video says. Has anyone solved this problem?

Purge valve is back behind the throttle body against the fire wall. The canister is down under side of Edge behind a cover near gas tank.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

From WWWPerfA_ZN0W, but posted to his board as this thread is old...

Regarding "Just curious, any of you all top off the tank after shutoff? These systems get more sensitive to that year by year, and apparently some of the "overage" (i.e., raw fuel) can spill into the EVAP system."

I had a slight gas smell in the garage with a P0456 code before I did something stupid.

I replaced the valve and cleared the code.

Then I had a 5 gallon gas can (fresh gas) that was not needed, so I poured it into the tank, some spilled (stupid).

P0456 came back a few days later.

If some went into the EVAP system tripping the P0456 again, will the gas evaporate on its own, eventually?

2011 Limited.

P0456 came up a few days again after replacing with a Motorcraft valve (you can imagine the first word out of my mouth). Low cost and did it myself, so I'm OK with that. Would probably fail eventually.

My thinking is now I'm not so lucky as it could be the canister, a more expensive and complex repair. 

I will note that between the valve replacement and the return of the code, some gas was spilled while using a 5 gallon container and might have gotten into the EVAP system.

If gas is in the EVAP system, will it eventually evaporate?

Any other thoughts.

Edited by 1004ron
Lets keep it to one thread

• 1004ron changed the title to P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected
  • 2 months later...

My 07 ford edge check engine light is now on. So I put my OBDII SCANNER ON the computer and it's showing all systems readiness are all green. Yet the scanner says i have a code P0456 for evap emissions (very small leak) it says being (1/2) same code which says pending? I checked

1) gas fuel cap it is making the clicking sound ;

2) I checked underneath for any connectors unplugged torn cut etc nothing ; 

3) I checked the purge valve as well...I will check it again by unplugging it and start vehicle to see if it has any vacuum...when there should be none due to no power source ;

4) the filler neck seems solid as well 

This is very bizarre to me this mysterious issue. And one of my radiator fans is not working not sure why on that there. Need to look into it can we replace just the control module to radiator. I believe its my high speed fan circuit 1. 

Any ideas and suggestions to resolve both would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.. 

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected

Where do I find gas cap ? It has the rubber string like end on it which allows it to hang. Can I use a cap that takes a key locking it so no one can open my fuel door to tamper with it causing this innfuture. I think someone tampered with it while I was in library. No check engine light was on prior to me going to library , it only came on upon leaving library....and I made me a evap & vacuum leaks tester today as well using 1 quart size paint can...and I used valve stem and a bic pen top to which I need to now get some hose to fit the bic pen top... now I can check leaks etc using this home made item..

20211026_134216.jpg

20211026_134223.jpg