Coolant confusion

mudx4x4

Hi all, I'm trying to flush the coolant on my 2010 Edge AWD. I've noticed a very slow coolant leak that I'm trying to track down, but in the meantime I need to top off the reservoir as it keeps getting lower due to the leak. The fluid appears very dark so I assume it's the factory dark green fluid. I've been reading pages upon pages of what coolants can be used with our Edges and I'm still confused. I just found a Ford bulletin updated last month...

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

and it now shows DY/DG for our vehicles and says "Either yellow-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B57-A1 or WSS-M97B57-A2 (Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant), dark green-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A (Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant), or a combination of both engine coolants"

So my main questions are, for a simple top off, what off the shelf brand can I use that could be mixed with the specialty green? I've read Zerex G05 is one that would work, but other than it saying "Ford" on the packaging, I'm not sure where or what I'm looking for that would ensure it actually is compatible with our engines. 

Also, the top off is just to get me through the next few days, I plan on doing a full flush and fill in the upcoming week, but I need to figure out where the leak is coming from first. 

Edited by mudx4x4

oh no! hope it is not a water pump leak. noticeable leaks usually are from above the alternator area (passenger side of engine).  if the leak is on drivers side, check the LOWER thermostat housing.  these rot away on occasion.

i would pressure test the system for at least 30 minutes.  if it comes out from above the alternator, you are in for a water pump/timing job.

you can use universal antifreezes like Peak 10X or Prestone 300K coolants, since you will be flushing the engine anyway.  if you REALLY want to stay Motorcraft, go with the Yellow, as it is supposed to be backwards compatible all the way to GOLD (2007 MY).

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

oh no! hope it is not a water pump leak. noticeable leaks usually are from above the alternator area (passenger side of engine).  if the leak is on drivers side, check the LOWER thermostat housing.  these rot away on occasion.

i would pressure test the system for at least 30 minutes.  if it comes out from above the alternator, you are in for a water pump/timing job.

you can use universal antifreezes like Peak 10X or Prestone 300K coolants, since you will be flushing the engine anyway.  if you REALLY want to stay Motorcraft, go with the Yellow, as it is supposed to be backwards compatible all the way to GOLD (2007 MY).

Thanks! Yeah I was watching some videos on coolant leaks on the edge and it seems like the waterpump is a common issue, although I got under the car today and it seems like the leak actually seems to be coming from the passenger side, or at least that's where it's dripping down from.

I haven't been able to find any Motorcraft coolant locally,  would the Zerex I mentioned above work? This is the product I'm looking at for doing a full flush

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/zerex-g05-full-strength-concentrate-antifreeze-coolant-1-gallon-zxg051/10691379-P?searchTerm=ZEREX

Edited by mudx4x4

yes, zerex g05 is fine to use with regular coolant drain/fills (preferred to an actual flush to preserve the seals/pump vanes).

passenger side raises HIGH likelihood of water pump failure.  check VERY carefully the portion of the block right above the alternator.  it will literally stream from there when the seal is gone, but may be a slower leak ATM.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

After some research I decided to slowly change out the specialty green with the newer yellow coolant by doing about 4 radiator drain and refills.  I did find a few gallons of specialty green for sale but might as well get it changed over since Ford stopped making the green.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I am also looking to flush/replace my coolant this weekend, my manual says Green or Orange.

I thought i read that Zerex G05 Yellow, was a good way to go?

Is drain/fill preferred to distilled water flush then refill if you still have green because they are compatible and green was better for seals, or another reason?

Thanks

Edited by tuck16

Felt the same way. Local garage couldn't get gold anymore and wanted to switch me over to yellow. I challenged and demanded Ford Engineering to state in writing that it wad ok. Got a response in writing from Ford regional manager stating Ford backed the use of yellow after flush. Dealer said other products were discontinued and all they use id yelllow. 

Foe my own knowledge I put a label (labelmaker) on the reservoir with note of using yellow and date switched. (Also label air filter date and cabin filter date.)

I would rather have what meets the requirements than insist on it be made by Motorcraft, and unless the universal coolant says it meets the specification, I would skip it as well.

If Yellow was to be used in place of Gold, that document would say so, but what it does say is specifically it does not supersede any other coolant than Orange and Specialty Green, it is not approved for replacing Gold.

Any engine family that has specific cooling issues I wouldn't deal with. Ford dealer thought that my 1997 Cougar should have Orange since the at time current Cougar used Orange. If you have ever seen Orange mixed with other coolant, and the goop it turns into (or non distilled water), I wouldn't try my own substitutions.