anyone else depressed and waiting for a back ordered part from Ford?

Justin400

24 minutes ago, ben senise said:

that's over 3 months. are you driving the car or is it in the shop? not acceptable in any case.

i would start to wonder if the dealer is the problem. have you talked to any other dealers? maybe your shop forgot the order or something. i would be screaming bloody murder by this point.

So It’s at my mechanic at the moment. They record all calls and replay them for me in regards to dealers. They have an order in at 4 different dealers and they all are saying due to supply chain issues it’s extremely difficult at the moment. I wrote a letter to Ford using the consumer affairs portal on my state attorney’s genera website. Their response was “Due to a global supply chain shortage there are many reasons why we cannot estimate an ETA on parts. we recommend you continue working with your mechanic and the dealer where the parts order was place. Consider this our closing reply.” also no due to the aftermarket warranty agreement i cannot continue to drive with a known issue or it’ll void my warranty. Do you think you can source the part used on ebay?

Edited by Justin400

Ford's attitude and response is unacceptable.  It implies Ford has outsourced parts production, probably to China.  Does the part have to be new and/or a genuine Ford part?  Depending on what it is, you might get by with a genuine Ford part from a salvage yard.  That might cover the stipulations of the warranty and keep it in force.  EBay is the vendor for a lot of salvage yards - it might be worth checking it out.  Your mechanic could verify if the part sufficiently provides a temporary but reliable solution to getting the vehicle operational.  Be sure to bounce the idea off Ford, so they don't try to pull a fast one on you.  Next car - buy a Toyota or Honda.

14 hours ago, Justin400 said:

So It’s at my mechanic at the moment. They record all calls and replay them for me in regards to dealers. They have an order in at 4 different dealers and they all are saying due to supply chain issues it’s extremely difficult at the moment. I wrote a letter to Ford using the consumer affairs portal on my state attorney’s genera website. Their response was “Due to a global supply chain shortage there are many reasons why we cannot estimate an ETA on parts. we recommend you continue working with your mechanic and the dealer where the parts order was place. Consider this our closing reply.” also no due to the aftermarket warranty agreement i cannot continue to drive with a known issue or it’ll void my warranty. Do you think you can source the part used on ebay?

wow, that sucks. i am getting so fed up with everyone using the "global supply chain issues" excuse. sure, there are some problems but from what i can observe, the problem is laziness.

what i would probably be doing in your case is getting compensation for your loss of use and/or a rental vehicle since you can't drive yours. it's under the drivetrain warranty. so if ford can't supply the parts, they can supply you with another vehicle. it'll be tough but my guess is that as soon as you take the first step by legal means, your part will miraculously appear very quickly. going to court costs these companies a fortune.

sorry to hear of your troubles and good luck getting it straightened out. please keep this forum up to date with your progress.

Consider that it may be related to your aftermarket warranty. They (the warranter) may be specifying the use of cheaper aftermarket parts when available.

But if not, it may be that the Axle manufacturer can only produce rear ends in a limited amount (getting people is a huge problem in rejoining the economy). And this limited amount is directed to new production.

This is a tough economy. Far too many young people lost their work ethic and want to sit at home and get paid for it. Not just the states (although we seem to be blessed with more than minimal amount of slackers).

China also has lost trained employees; especially dock workers and ship's personnel.  Their only capable of fielding a percentage of ships that were sea borne before the pandemic. And the docks here in the US and not exempt.

But our real problems relate to truck drivers. Many have moved on and are not driving anymore. (Its notable that new replacment drivers in trucking schools are women!) 

I still work with many of my old clients (clients before I retired). One builder told me that their supplier cannot get (bath fan) vent duct. Although the duct is manufactured here in the US, the plastic beads (used for moulding) and the steel wire are on ships, choked off Long Beach harbor. Been there for weeks. So the can't make any more duct until the ship can dock, unload and transport to the plant. 

So why can't they use any plastic beads and steel wire; you reasonably may ask? Because the finished duct is UL Listed and in a listing, all parts must be inspected as part of the listing. In short, ONLY that wire, and ONLY that plastic beads can be used. (Changing suppliers takes weeks of testing, investigation, inspections at thd facility and $$$.) 

So they are changing suppliers. And the new product is not under a contract and nearly double in price. And that's just one item among thousands that go into a new home.

You may be better off getting g a good used rear end from a wrecking yard and going that route.

Edited by enigma-2

50 minutes ago, Justin400 said:

@ben senise it’s an aftermarket warranty. it’s apart of the lifetime powertrain warranty that ford dealers offer. it’s managed by total warranty services. Approval from them for the work to be done and purchase the parts has already been approved. 

ok, got it. i misunderstood.

i'm curious to know if ford dealers are getting these parts for their own car repairs and just playing games with you because it's a third party warranty at an independent garage. would your warranty pay for the repairs at the ford dealer? just thinking out loud here. i would be really really mad if i were without my car for 3+ months now.

@ben senise The issue with going to a Ford Dealer was that they had no availability to get the vehicle in for 2 months. The warranty will pay whoever is willing to do the work and is has the correct certification to work on the vehicle. I’m going to get the part number tomorrow when the mechanic opens and see if the ford dealership back where i bought the vehicle from would be able to assist me. I’m going back for thanksgiving so it’ll be a nice side mission while i’m there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omar302 said:

Searching online it looks to be a discontinued part. Example. You might have to consider used or rebuilding the old one.

Dealer should give you a more accurate answer.

wow, that would explain why they can't get it!! but can't they at least tell the customer that instead of making them wait?

@omar302 you are always one of the best sources of information on this board. you deserve a raise! ?

• Haha 1

Supply chain issues are real and mostly due to port labor and trucking issues.  Ports don’t have enough workers to offload the ships and not enough truckers thanks in part to stupid California over regulation.  One guy I know had $70k worth of drum kits sitting on a ship in the harbor for over 3 weeks.

7 hours ago, ben senise said:

wow, that would explain why they can't get it!! but can't they at least tell the customer that instead of making them wait?

@omar302 you are always one of the best sources of information on this board. you deserve a raise! ?

I reached out to the dealer back home where i bought the vehicle and they told me the part has been discontinued. I called the warranty services and informed them and they told me I can do whatever it takes to get a replacement part as long as it costs similarly to an oem part and is appropriate for the vehicle. 

42 minutes ago, handfiler said:

I'm in complete shock that such a major driveline component is obsolete after 7 years. WTF Ford?

Same here. Are we really at that state of consumerism where vehicles are obsolete in less than 10 years? I did find a dealer who said another dealer a few states over would have it in stock and could ship it. I’ll have my mechanic give them a call in the morning. I really appreciate the hoops my mechanic has jumped through for me though. Definitely a stand up guy. 

• Like 1