Justin400

how is a major powertrain component discontinued and the vehicle is less than 10 years old

i have a 2014 edge and i’ve began researching where to get the rear axle assembly/ differential and they told me at the parts counter they only have bearings and i will have to go to a junkyard. What? i’d understand if it was an older vehicle but 2014 is hardly old. I got a lead that a dealer a few states over had one in their inventory but it was for one of their customers. This is beyond annoying. Not only did the local ford dealer lead me on for months that they will get it back soon but it’s not even being made anymore and they’ve known that. 

Edited by Justin400
  • Sad 1

Not defending Ford, I wish Auto manufacturers kept stocks for all their vehicles,  but I see the business case. The vehicle is 10 years old, the rear differential is not a common item to fail, 99.9% of 10 year old vehicle owners won't buy a "new" rear differential replacement. Why keep stock of such an expensive, big & heavy part? I have even seen dealers that won't take in old vehicles for repairs.

You are in a unique situation where you still have a warranty on a 10 year old vehicle that is willing to pay for it. Since you have a warranty willing to cover the costs, I suggest you find the lowest mileage used rear differential from a non-snow state.

7 hours ago, handfiler said:

His car is only 8 years old.

For some reason I was reading it 2011 instead of 2014 😫.

Edited by omar302

17 minutes ago, omar302 said:

For some reason I was read it 2011 instead of 2014 😫.

Ironically I was at the optometrist yesterday getting a new prescription 😂

• Haha 3

Only 7 years old at the time he started to deal with the dealer, months ago ;).  Weird...

Edited by Edgingage