2014 Edge AWD rumbling noise

Justin400

my edge has just got out of the shop with a replacement differential pulled from a totaled edge and while it was in there i also had them change the PTU oil. I got it back last week but i swear it is still making a rumbling noise once i accelerate above 10 mph.  it’s steady and continuous. I don’t know if there is an issue with my vehicle, but no vibrating or shaking is occurring. I changed the brakes and rotors as well. Im not sure if i’m just paranoid or something is wrong. I don’t think it is the wheel bearings which is why i originally took it in and how they uncovered my bad differential. I have new tires as well. 

Edited by Justin400

20 hours ago, DILLARD000 said:

I'm suspicious of the PTU.  I'd try again draining+renewing that GearOi;

may be try AmsOil# 75w140.FullSyn or even go to AmsOil# SAE250.FullSyn;

what GearOil did your shop use?

How aggressive are your new tires compared to your old tires?

Did the rumbling start immediately after getting new tires?

i’d say it was around the same time. I just got my vehicle back before christmas and it went in the shop in august so i can’t exactly remember what it sounded like prior. The tire i have on is the Destination LE2 from firestone. They used ATF Full Synthetic according to the paperwork in the transfer case and 80W90 in the diff.  as far as the transfer case service i was told that everything looked fine when they drained the old fluid out. 

Edited by Justin400

21 minutes ago, Justin400 said:

i’d say it was around the same time. I just got my vehicle back before christmas and it went in the shop in august so i can’t exactly remember what it sounded like prior. The tire i have on is the Destination LE2 from firestone. They used ATF Full Synthetic according to the paperwork in the transfer case and 80W90 in the diff.  as far as the transfer case service i was told that everything looked fine when they drained the old fluid out. 

"Transfer Case" - Are you referring the PTU or the Transaxle/transmission?

28 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Why would they use ATF in the PTU which calls for gear oil 75W140 ?

can you send me a link to where that is stated. i’m giving them a call when they open monday about that. I didn’t read the receipt until i posted the service done and was thinking the same thing when i saw that.What damage could be done by using the wrong type of fluid?

Your owners manual should show that, and if you don't have one do a Google search for a PDF version.

It wouldn't take long to damage the PTU with the wrong fluid.

Of course they'll respond that its a typo, in which case I'd demand that they prove it to me by extracting the fluid for me to inspect, and then of course show me the fluid going back in.

Also, it needs to be recorded on Ford's records linked to your VIN.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.00.22 PM.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Justin400 said:

as far as the transfer case service i was told that everything looked fine when they drained the old fluid out. 

I believe your model doesn't have a PTU drain, so they couldn't have drained it - they would have "extracted" the oil, if they did anything with it.

If sludge was found they may attempt to flush it with ATF, but it shouldn't run more than a few miles before filling with the correct oil.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I believe your model doesn't have a PTU drain, so they couldn't have drained it - they would have "extracted" the oil, if they did anything with it.

If sludge was found they may attempt to flush it with ATF, but it should run more than a few miles before filling with the correct oil.

suspicious. 

• Confused 1

Update: took it to a mechanic who’s been in the business for years. He took it for the day after dropping me off at home from work and going for a test drive. went to sleep and woke up at 3pm and he gave me call. New wheel bearing was what i needed and quoted me $70 under book price for the service. great guy. will definitely do business with him again. 

• Like 2