New battery and odd signs it was needed

txaggie

2019 ST 2.5 yrs old with 30k on it.  Noticed in the last week or so that suddenly certain little things weren’t working.  Nothing incredibly noticeable such as difficulty starting or anything major.

For instance, I couldn’t turn on map lights with the car off, couldn’t use the other doors to lock/unlock with the handles, interior lights wouldn’t stay on when the doors were open, interior lights wouldn’t fade out they would just turn off.  Not sure when exactly it all started, but the little things started to add up.

Took it to Autozone and they ran their battery tester on it and showed a bad battery.  Put in new battery, and presto, all the little things are cleared up and working. :)  

• Like 1

Yep all normal signs in these things. They turn off nonessentials when a weak battery is detected, probably in another 2-4 weeks it would have displayed a message on the center screen.

You could have had ford replace it for free on warranty and been good for another 2-3 years.

• Like 2

@Perblue @omar302  I know the battery was still under warranty and I could have had Ford replace it.  However, I chose to go a different route and chose to go ahead and bite the bullet and replace it with a Duralast battery on my own $$.  It is MUCH easier for me to run to the corner Autozone and do the work myself than to coordinate dropping my car off at the local Ford dealer, let them have it for multiple hours, and then get it back.  :)  

• Like 1

Anything with a dealer is a PITA  the dealer I went to checked battery using the guy that checks the cars in and checks batteries routinely,  Funny thing was when battery failed his test it was not good enough to replaced battery under warranty and had to be taken to shop for further testing and then they replaced the battery. If they had just tested battery routinely during service check in they would have told me is was bad if no warranty was involved with no further testing.  

• Like 1

My dealer uses a "rotunda" tool to test the battery, and if the result was "failed" they'll replace it immediately. Once I replaced a Motorcraft battery because of a crack at the battery post even though it tested "good", but the physical damage was clearly a defect and thus was replaced. I just brought the battery in and went out with the new one and replaced it myself to avoid the long waiting times of the workshop.

Another option I had when under the 3 year bumper warranty is calling the roadside assistance (also under warranty) and let them tow the vehicle to the dealer. In that case my waiting will be at home. Just have to go collect it once ready.

@txaggie if you still have the old battery, ask the dealer if they will exchange it for a new one, why let Ford off the hook for a new battery if they were supposed to cover it.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Probably shop needs to test the CCA rating and determine that the rating, when fully charged, is less than 50% in order to provide warranty exchange.  (Service rep is probably just testing voltage).

No he was not just testing voltage. He had a tester that did everything and even printed out results.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 3:56 PM, txaggie said:

2019 ST 2.5 yrs old with 30k on it.  Noticed in the last week or so that suddenly certain little things weren’t working.  Nothing incredibly noticeable such as difficulty starting or anything major.

For instance, I couldn’t turn on map lights with the car off, couldn’t use the other doors to lock/unlock with the handles, interior lights wouldn’t stay on when the doors were open, interior lights wouldn’t fade out they would just turn off.  Not sure when exactly it all started, but the little things started to add up.

Took it to Autozone and they ran their battery tester on it and showed a bad battery.  Put in new battery, and presto, all the little things are cleared up and working. :)  

Same thing happened to mine. Also went into deep sleep a few times. No auto stop/start for months now either. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same thing happen regarding the doors not locking/unlocking except drivers door.  Internet search said car turning systems off to preserve power and battery was failing.

Carried out a battery reset.  Flashing lights and brake pedal routine.

Battery light flashed 3x and all systems came back to life...same battery, just resetting the age algorithm in memory.  2 months later and all is still well.

• Thanks 1