2019 or 2020 Nautilus vs Edge

For those of you who have both Edge & Nautilus experience I ask your opinions.  I drove a 2013 Edge SEL(V6) for about 100,000 miles, and then a 2017 Edge SEL (V6) for another 100,000.  The '17 is my current car.  I have enjoyed both cars very much.  I am seriously considering selling the Edge & going to a Nautilus, a 2019 or a 2020.  I don't like the newer versions because I want a built in CD player & I dislike the huge screen parked in the middle of the dash. No doubt other will like the larger screen, but not for me.  So its a '19 or a '20 model. Either a nicely equipped Reserve or maybe a Black Label.

Now I have read lots of reviews & it seems that in the 2019 you could get a good one or you could get a bad one. The '20 cars seem to have better reviews.  Does anyone have experience here?

The second thing I am curious about is the V6 motor vs the 4 cylinder.  Coming from 3.5 motors, normally aspirated, I have concerns that the 4 cylinder would be disappointing. I'm not a sprint from one traffic light to the next kind of driver, but I must admit I do like to go fast. Being as a do about 30,000 miles/year I like to get where I'm going without lollygagging around. Is the 4 cylinder a poor choice?  I see that there are tunings for the V6, but I didn't see much for the little 4, and even if there is would it really make much difference?

I would also be interested in how the 13 speaker Revel system compares to the 19 speaker version. 

Cabin noise, Edge vs Nautilus?

Of course, what about maintenance?  Very few issues with either Edge. The only surprise issue is the recent failure of the audio control module.  I posted on the Sync forum for assistance & that worked out very well.  Total cost for that fix was under $300.  Other than that, brakes & oil changes.  The Nautilus?

Now regarding cost, it looks like a nice '19 V6 with the stuff I want (pretty much loaded) would be at around $45,000.  Probably add 3,000 for a '20.  I would prefer to keep it down at or below 45,000 and that is possible with the 4 cylinder.

Well that's my story & I' stickin' to it.  Would love to hear your stories.

Thanks, 

jeff carl

I have a factory ordered 2019 Nautilus Reserve. It has the 2.7 V6 AWD, Adaptive suspension and Revel Audio 13 speaker audio system and a few other option groups.

The Revel system sounds superb but obviously the 19 speaker version would be better still. I test drove one with the 2.0 4 cylinder and found it underwhelming.

The Nautilus is an excellent vehicle. I intend to keep mine for a very long time.

2019 LNB.jpg

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 3

"jeffcarl", I currently own a '19 Edge Titanium with the 4 cyl. Ecoboost engine which replaced my previous '16 Edge Titanium which had a V6 engine. Since there are no more V6's starting in '19 (except for the ST model), I was concerned about the smaller engine's performance vs. the V6's. Well after a test drive in a '19, I was so pleasantly surprised and I ordered a loaded one with every option in the order book except the trailer hitch. Not only it performs great, it's more "peppy" than the V6, so no regrets at all with the 4 cyl. engine. I even bought a Livernois Motorsport tuner to load a more "performance-oriented" tune but quite frankly, I didn't see much of a difference. As for the reviews between '19's and 20's, I've never read anywhere that the 19's were bad.

For your information, --> 2019 is the last year in which you could get a CD player . No more CD's in 2020's and up... and the huge screen begins in 2021 which like you, I don't really like. I find it looks too much as if someone stuck an iPad on the dash...

...and last, I could've bought a Lincoln Nautilus but I don't like the way it looks so I can't make any comparison with my Edge.

Claude. ;)

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

"jeffcarl", I currently own a '19 Edge Titanium with the 4 cyl. Ecoboost engine which replaced my previous '16 Edge Titanium which had a V6 engine. Since there are no more V6's starting in '19, I was concerned about the smaller engine's performance vs. the V6's. Well after a test drive in a '19, I was so pleasantly surprised and I ordered a loaded one with every option in the order book except the trailer hitch. Not only it performs great, it's more "peppy" than the V6, so no regrets at all with the 4 cyl. engine. I even bought a Livernois Motorsport tuner to load a more "performance-oriented" tune but quite frankly, I didn't see much of a difference. As for the reviews between '19's and 20's, I've never read anywhere that the 19's were bad.

For your information, --> 2019 is the last year in which you could get a CD player . No more in 2020's and up... and the huge screen begin in 2022's which like you, I don't really like. I find it looks too much as if someone stuck an iPad on the dash...

...and last, I could've bought a Lincoln Nautilus but I don't like the way it looks so I can't make any comparison with my Edge.

Claude. ;)

???

My last car was a 2019 Escape.  I was really disappointed that it had no CD player.   But once I loaded a tiny jump drive with tons of music, I realized that it was far superior to keeping a bunch of CDs in the console that had to be swapped out.  Sync manages songs by album and artist.   You'd be surprised. 

1 hour ago, Will2U said:

My last car was a 2019 Escape.  I was really disappointed that it had no CD player.   But once I loaded a tiny jump drive with tons of music, I realized that it was far superior to keeping a bunch of CDs in the console that had to be swapped out.  Sync manages songs by album and artist.   You'd be surprised. 

Agreed. I have my entire CD collection ripped and on a 512 GB flash drive with a lot of room to spare. My CD player has never seen a disc. I'll have to try it some time to make sure it works.

• Haha 1

My opinion:

Nautilus or Edge: Test drive first. Generally speaking, the Lincoln will be the nicer more comfortable ride, but will depreciate more (percentage wise). In my experience, my 2011 Lincoln MKX though was more expensive than all Edge trims, but after 6 years it's value become slightly below a 2011 Edge Sport with the same engine.

2019 or 2020: Newer, lower mileage is always better, but will be more expensive.

V6 or 4 cylinder: I haven't tried the 4 cylinder, but previously had the 3.7L V6 in the 2011 MKX and now have the 2.7 V6 EcoBoost in the Edge Sport, I definitely wouldn't go for the 4 cylinder.

Buyer's remorse: Get a V6 2020 Nautilus. You won't regret buying the best option (highest trim, Engine, model...etc.), only your wallet will hurt. ?.

Again, Test Drive. This is the biggest deciding factor, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Test drove both as 2021 models before buying. Nautilus was a very nice luxury package and expected to love it but I found:

Ride was just OK, a little soft and didn't feel as nimble. Felt heavier and wasn't as level going through turns

Dash was higher drivers side and had less visability. Thought was due to HUD, but they said same all models.

Although I liked 4 cylinder turbo (torquey, quiet, good mpg) in our Titanium, with all the troubles with it wouldn't touch it again, and wanted to be able to tow sometimes.

ST has higher, but not much, tow rating. Hard to find the Nautilus in mid priced package with a factory tow package

Seats, for me, were more comfortable on ST

Price as driven, $20k more than ST, plus forced dealer addons. Think this was due to different pricing on packages plus higher base price

Good looking Lincoln though.

2 hours ago, ben senise said:

The the 2019 and onward ST still has an eco-boost V6 2.7.

the huge screen began in 2021.

Oops... :hammer_self: You're right, I stand corrected.... and I corrected my earlier post.

Thank you,

Claude.;)

Edited by 2FAST4U

Thanks one & all. I'm negotiating for a certified 2019, under 25,000 miles. Most important to me are the comfy seats & 19 speaker audio, though I wish it would have 20" wheels instead of the 21".  I decided on the V6 thinking it's better to have more power than I might need, rather than wishing I had more. It's also later in the 2019 production run, with no CarFax red flags. I looked at the self park videos & that looks like a PITA; I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long to get into a parking spot. So that feature is not on the table. The process is under way & we'll see where it goes. It looks like there are a lot more used ones coming on the market now, if this one doesn't pan out there's always another. 

I expect it to be at least as comfortable as my '17 Edge, and I expect it would be quieter than the Edge as well. A car is too expensive to have buyers remorse so I am being very thorough. 

• 1 month later...

I finally got my Nautilus. It's a 2019 4 cylinder for cost , but have Ultima package with 22 way seats & premium audio. Pretty much everything else except front camera & self-parking. I very pleased. The 4 cylinder does all I need it to do. It is AWD, but so far no need for that as our winter is over. Has 20,000 on the clock, looks & drives as new. Blue Diamond Metallic exterior, which I really like, and cappuccino interior. This is one really nice car. Very quiet & comfortable.  I thought I would use lane keeping a lot, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass. I think I'm able to keep the car in the lane under my own authority , rarely use it now.  The sound system is outstanding too. It is a lot more car that the Edge, more so than I expected.  It may be the nicest car I've ever had, although I hope to put my old 1992 Mercedes 300SD back on the road sometime this year. It's been dormant in my pole barn for at least 10 years.  It's been too long to compare to the Nautilus, but as I recall it's one hell of a car. 

• Like 3