Auto Stop/Start fail to restart

Fingernip

In the last 2 days I have had my auto stop/start fail to restart the car twice. The first time it happened I was at a light and when it turned green I got a system chime and a fault message saying "Checking braking system". The car did not restart and i was forced to put it in park and hit the start button. Car started normal and no faults were stored. Auto stop/start then operated normally for the remainder of the day. The next day I stopped at a light and auto stop triggered, I had a hunch it was going to do it again so before the light turned green i lifted my foot off the brake and got a blinking battery light with no chime. I set it to park and it started normal and operated normal for the rest of the day. Battery is 3 months old and shows 12.6V as it should and no other obvious issues to indicate a battery problem. Anyone have similar problems?

3 hours ago, Will2U said:

Yeah, new one on me.  The system won't stop the engine if it isn't capable of restarting it.  Something is out of sync.  Even though it's been 3 months, was the BMS reset when the battery was changed? 

I did the 8 hour method. Let it sit undisturbed for 8 hours. I can try FORscan later also. Never did the brake pedal method before but I guess it wont hurt. 

12 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I did the 8 hour method. Let it sit undisturbed for 8 hours. I can try FORscan later also. Never did the brake pedal method before but I guess it wont hurt. 

The 8 hour method resets the current state of recharge, not the battery age. Unfortunately not all dealers reset the battery age. With ForScan there is a PID in the dashboard that can show the battery age, you check it to see how old the vehicle thinks your battery is, just to confirm if it was done or not. If not, ForScan can do it. Also, with ForScan you see if there are any DTC codes, even if there is no check engine light. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

SO the last few days I had the car fail to start after returning from a week vacation. I couldn't get a good battery voltage reading, meter showed 8.9V and im sure that was not correct. I pulled the battery and tossed it on my charger but had to run out for 30 mins. I came back it it showed fully charged. Battery tested 12.6V after resting it for 30 mins so i re-installed and car started fine. The next day the car barely started after work and auto stop/start is disabled. No system warnings or errors, even when checking with a scan tool. I suspect the new battery is a dud and cant supply enough amps.

24 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I suspect the new battery is a dud and cant supply enough amps.

Get it load tested for free at places like Autozone.

Their tester will check a few things, CCA, volt drop when starting, and charging rate.

Edited by 1004ron

19 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Yeah I'm taking it to advanced where I got the battery. Its got a lifetime replacement. 

Are you sure it has a lifetime replacement warranty? Never seen a battery with lifetime warranty. Advance auto's website lists 3 years as the longest warranty on their batteries??

On 8/20/2022 at 6:16 AM, kruzr1 said:

Are you sure it has a lifetime replacement warranty? Never seen a battery with lifetime warranty. Advance auto's website lists 3 years as the longest warranty on their batteries??

Nope your right it is 3 year. battery was only 6 months though so shouldn't have been a problem. My old AutoZone dualasts were the lifetime.

Turns out that Advanced doesn't honor web purchase warranties in store.... they did a customer return and I had to buy a new battery at current price, They managed to use competitor price match to keep the price the same though. Problem seems to be the case was cracked at the positive pole possibly causing oxidization.  New battery installed and all is fine again. 

• Like 1