2.7t Aluminum oil pan edge sport

It is promising to see an aftermarket solution, however, I would be concerned with the fact that it does not come with a gasket. Meaning you still have to use the RTV gasket and hope it cures/sticks correctly, which is the problem. Only now we don't know if it would stick better or worse with an aluminum pan.

Ford's solution on later 2018+ F-150 (TSB) was an updated plastic oil pan that has a press-in-place gasket. If this was a similar solution I would have been more optimistic.

One of everyone's big complaint was that because they used a plastic pan. The block and pan had different thermal expansion, which contributed to the leaking problem.

The solution many have been doing before is making there own gasket between the pan and block. Sandwich with rtv

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224464515504?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SvoaLbYSQcm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=5Xg0FXR1SMm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I read over in the 150 forum that the aluminum pan does NOT fit the 2.7 ecoboost engine. 

From everything I've read, it's the quality of the aftermarket silicon gasket job that in question. Apparently the trick is to get both mating surfaces spotless. No oil. Means spraying with brake clean then wiping down with clean towels. Then leave everything sit for an extended period for cure.

2 hours ago, omar302 said:

As per the TSB, in addition to the brake parts cleaner, also "engine shampoo & degreaser", "Silicone Gasket Remover" and "Metal Surface Prep Wipes" are used in during the replacement of the oil pan. 

MC-10164418-0001.pdf

12 hours labor!!!!   Let's see, at $80/hr that's  ....... ridiculous. 

Should make this a sticky for future members.

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

12 hours labor!!!!   Let's see, at $80/hr that's  ....... ridiculous. 

I would say that most places $150 and up is what the going rate is. Many simple diagnostics are over $200 just due to that 1 hour of labor. Add in a machine and something that takes wait time (but you have to time it right) and it is down right insane.

35 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

I would say that most places $150 and up is what the going rate is. Many simple diagnostics are over $200 just due to that 1 hour of labor. Add in a machine and something that takes wait time (but you have to time it right) and it is down right insane.

Man was I out of it. Looked up AAA for my area and it showed $150/hr. What the sam hell? I'm so used to "got a warranty" and never pay, I wasn't paying attention.

(saving face) "I was quoting pre-Covid" prices. (cough, cough).

Also on the website "changing a fuse, $10 - $50. A FUSE!  Damn. I'm coming out of retirement. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I read over in the 150 forum that the aluminum pan does NOT fit the 2.7 ecoboost engine. 

From everything I've read, it's the quality of the aftermarket silicon gasket job that in question. Apparently the trick is to get both mating surfaces spotless. No oil. Means spraying with brake clean then wiping down with clean towels. Then leave everything sit for an extended period for cure.

From what I've read over the years they were trying to swap the metal pan from the 3.5l and it's a no go. These pans are specifically for the 2.7t. I am just now finding them online but have periodically searched and never seen any. Now they are all over ebay. I wonder if overseas the 2.7 is finally getting some love. On aliexpress that's a mkx w/2.7 being used. I have the same vehicle 

Well, the talk over there is the aluminum pan doesn't fit, seems I read some time back that someone tried it. Maybe there's a difference between the truck version and the CUV version? 

If I were you, I'd wait to find someone who's actually tried the install. I don't remember anyone successfully doing it, but I haven't really followed the subject too carefully. 

Perhaps if you talked with the local Ford Garage Service Manager? These guys are really knowledgeable on the basic problems and if anyone has done this, they may know about it. Never hurts to stop by and ask, I've done it probably too many times; got a reputation for questions, questions, questions. But I've found that my local SM loves to answer questions, including going to the area rep and even Ford Engineering, for answers. He has so much knowledge and no one ever asks him what he thinks. 

Another way to go, is to make certain the Ebay seller specifically states In the listing, that it will fit your exact engine (again, in writing) & that  you can return it, if it fails to fit.

I wish the best for you, i hate oil leaks,  but it seams to me, that a good due job, on the existing plastic pan, is what's really required. If it was my car, I'd have the Lincoln Garage do the job and get a warranty on it. But for the cost of a 12 hour repair, it would have to be a lifetime warranty !!!

12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Well, the talk over there is the aluminum pan doesn't fit, seems I read some time back that someone tried it. Maybe there's a difference between the truck version and the CUV version? 

If I were you, I'd wait to find someone who's actually tried the install. I don't remember anyone successfully doing it, but I haven't really followed the subject too carefully. 

Perhaps if you talked with the local Ford Garage Service Manager? These guys are really knowledgeable on the basic problems and if anyone has done this, they may know about it. Never hurts to stop by and ask, I've done it probably too many times; got a reputation for questions, questions, questions. But I've found that my local SM loves to answer questions, including going to the area rep and even Ford Engineering, for answers. He has so much knowledge and no one ever asks him what he thinks. 

Another way to go, is to make certain the Ebay seller specifically states In the listing, that it will fit your exact engine (again, in writing) & that  you can return it, if it fails to fit.

I wish the best for you, i hate oil leaks,  but it seams to me, that a good due job, on the existing plastic pan, is what's really required. If it was my car, I'd have the Lincoln Garage do the job and get a warranty on it. But for the cost of a 12 hour repair, it would have to be a lifetime warranty !!!

I bought the truck during covid from an out of state subaru dealer with a mediocore warranty. But it was enough to get the oil pan done and replace my front camera and wire harness. warranty company sent me to bmw dealer who did the pan and sent it to ford for the harness.  took them 4 months to do. oil pan leaked within a year from that ?