Thinking about a 2024 ST

Cerberus

if i trade in my 16 Sport (even money) i'd end up with the same payments I'm making now, but lose a couple features of the 16..

But I'm at 102K miles and nearing the end of my 3rd party extended warranty, so maybe its getting to be that time.

Welcoming thoughts and opinions on the trade offs of this transaction.

I do have concerns about the wet belt driven oil pump... but thats every 2.7 since abt 2018 AFAIK.. and I'll probably add on an extended warranty to the new one to cover that potential problem.

Take the 2024 for a test drive first. I personally have NOT driven one, but given the recent sunroof glass change I had on my 2016 and how the replacement is not acoustic glass, similar to 2019+ models, and that even the front side windows are also no more acoustic on newer models (not sure which year it started), I suspect you'll feel quite a difference in noise levels. 

• Like 1

Just a clarification, the extra noise in my Edge after the sunroof glass replacement is noticable only with the sunroof shade open.

Also, going through the order guides, it seems 2021 is the year they changed the standard "Acoustic-Laminate Windshield" to "Laminated Windshield" and also the "Acoustic-Laminate Front Row Side Windows" is not mentioned anymore for the Titanium & ST models. 

2021-Edge-Order-Guide.pdf

2020-Ford-Edge_OrderGuide.pdf

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:28 AM, omar302 said:

Take the 2024 for a test drive first. I personally have NOT driven one, but given the recent sunroof glass change I had on my 2016 and how the replacement is not acoustic glass, similar to 2019+ models, and that even the front side windows are also no more acoustic on newer models (not sure which year it started), I suspect you'll feel quite a difference in noise levels. 

I absolutely planned on a test drive, probably a long overnight test drive. 

You might enjoy a newer vehicle but Id keep your current edge a while longer. I def would not trade it in for another edge, on its  9th year and death bed when there are other newer platforms on the market. My 15 sport is at 149,000 miles and 139,000 has been tuned and abused and the only thing Ive replaced due to a breaking is an alternator.

IMG_4548.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

You might enjoy a newer vehicle but Id keep your current edge a while longer. I def would not trade it in for another edge, on its  9th year and death bed when there are other newer platforms on the market. My 15 sport is at 149,000 miles and 139,000 has been tuned and abused and the only thing Ive replaced due to a breaking is an alternator.

I'm not in a huge hurry to trade mine in, it's a great car, performs well, fun to drive, and a perfect size for the roads I drive every day while still being big enough to accommodate my fat ass.

Alternatively I have considered buying a boneyard engine and refreshing it so it's ready to drop in if the need arises.. 

I even got a quote from Carmax to buy it if I wanted to downgrade for a while to cut overhead.

Just weighing all options

I just picked up my new 2024 ST and it is awesome! Since there is a good chance we won't see it 2025, you might want to give it some thought. It is becoming an older platform, but it is still competitive with a lot of the newer stuff.  I got the wheel and brake package, and the handling is amazing!  Also got the 401A options. 

The 12" touch screen and 12 speaker B&O sound system are icing on the cake.

The newer ST's have a cool feature, if you double tap the ESC button, it puts the Advance Trac in to sport mode, making the AWD quite a bit more active. Kind of a hidden feature not in the owner's manual.

I'm not 100% sure but it looks to have the 2.7 Nano engine which has port direct fuel injection (2 injectors per cylinder). I'm trying to verify.

Edited by STBEAST

10 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Yes its a Nano engine, no its not the GEN 2. The 2.7 in your 2024 is same as the one in my 2015

Umm... 

Based on what?

I was under the impression that after 2018 the Gen 2 2.7 was being used throughout the brand. This is a primary sticking point for me because the Gen2 engine uses a wet (oil exposed) belt to drive the oil pump, which gives me serious concerns about the reliability of the oil system.

11 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Umm... 

Based on what?

I was under the impression that after 2018 the Gen 2 2.7 was being used throughout the brand. This is a primary sticking point for me because the Gen2 engine uses a wet (oil exposed) belt to drive the oil pump, which gives me serious concerns about the reliability of the oil system.

The Gen 2 is only in rwd platforms. Transverse applications did not receive the GEN2 Nano, only F150, Bronco and Ranger

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Umm... 

Based on what?

I have a 19 ST.  I am more concerned with the carbon build up on the valves due to the Direct Injection than the wet belt drive oil pump.     

Nick Halstead is correct the 2.7 in the Edge is not the 2nd Gen with dual injection.

Ok, according to the research I just did, the Gen 2 came out in 2018 and has the dual fuel injectors (one to keep the intake valve clean). The Gen 2 is also known as the Nano and is the same engine. What I don't know is what year they started using it in the Edge St. I'm guessing 2019?

Edited by STBEAST

5 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

The Gen 2 is only in rwd platforms. Transverse applications did not receive the GEN2 Nano, only F150, Bronco and Ranger

This is contradicting what I'd been led to believe.

Now I want to visit a dealership and see if I can visually verify that it is only direct injected.

Thank you for the information, this shakes up the whole equation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeVic said:

I have a 19 ST.  I am more concerned with the carbon build up on the valves due to the Direct Injection than the wet belt drive oil pump.     

Nick Halstead is correct the 2.7 in the Edge is not the 2nd Gen with dual injection.

I'd by far prefer carbon build up on valves over a wet belt driven oil pump. 

Carbon on valves is slow, progressive, tolerable, avoidable and relatively easily fixable, whereas oil pump drive failure is sudden, and terminal. 

Thanks for the personal experience 

4 hours ago, STBEAST said:

Ok, according to the research I just did, the Gen 2 came out in 2018 and has the dual fuel injectors (one to keep the intake valve clean). The Gen 2 is also known as the Nano and is the same engine. What I don't know is what year they started using it in the Edge St. I'm guessing 2019?

The intake manifold part number (this on Tasca) is the same for all 2015+ Ford Edge 2.7 models, however, it is only for 2015-2017 F-150 models. The intake manifold would have been changed in case port injection was added to the 2019+ Edge. In my opinion, this is a confirmation that the Edge/Nautilus did NOT get the 2nd generation Nano. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, STBEAST said:

They use it in the F150 but not the edge. The 1st gen is also called nano but the 2nd gen is only in the F150, bronco and ranger. 

Why is it so difficult to comprehend factual information? All Edge/Nautilus have the Gen 1, 2.7. The newer ones have both the intake valve fouling GDI and the rubber band driven oil pump.

With proper maintenance they will run forever. I have one and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'd by far prefer carbon build up on valves over a wet belt driven oil pump. 

Carbon on valves is slow, progressive, tolerable, avoidable and relatively easily fixable, whereas oil pump drive failure is sudden, and terminal. 

Thanks for the personal experience 

What do you recommended to avoid valve carbon build up?

9 hours ago, JoeVic said:

What do you recommended to avoid valve carbon build up?

Officially,  there is no preventive measure and only walnut shell blasting to remove deposits after they accumulate .

Personally,  (not a recommendation for liability reassons) I might fog the intake with a product designed to clean valves at every oil change to keep deposits from forming.

Also, I thought about buying one of those trick cold air up pipes from IC to TB with an auxiliary bung in it for methanol, and use that.

14 hours ago, handfiler said:

Why is it so difficult to comprehend factual information? All Edge/Nautilus have the Gen 1, 2.7. The newer ones have both the intake valve fouling GDI and the rubber band driven oil pump.

With proper maintenance they will run forever. I have one and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Not sure if that question is pointed at me, but it's not a question of comprehension over here, it's a question of trusting the information as being factual.

For instance, you're saying the Gen1 2.7 are also getting the belt driven oil pump too, is the first time I've heard that,  as I understood that to be a Gen2 problem exclusively. 

And no, even with proper maintenance,  they will not run forever. A wet belt is the most moronic design flaw since the water pump driven by the timing Chain, in a vehicle that does not allow removal of the front cover without dropping the entire drivetrain, as was the case with my 2011 fusion sport.

On 1/7/2024 at 5:03 PM, Nick Halstead said:

Ironically, I suddenly have a charging problem with mine. 

I had a battery saver warning on the console yesterday which i stupidly ignored..

Then last night as I was getting ready to drive home from work, i had the same warning, so I checked the app data which showed the battery at 30% and running system voltage at 12.1V..

OOPS!

I took a new battery off the shelf and limped it home with no lights, wipers, defog, radio, etc.

rolled into the driveway with the battery state reading 3% and system voltage at 11.7.. ?

Now I need to figure out WTF is going on here

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Not sure if that question is pointed at me, but it's not a question of comprehension over here, it's a question of trusting the information as being factual.

For instance, you're saying the Gen1 2.7 are also getting the belt driven oil pump too, is the first time I've heard that,  as I understood that to be a Gen2 problem exclusively. 

And no, even with proper maintenance,  they will not run forever. A wet belt is the most moronic design flaw since the water pump driven by the timing Chain, in a vehicle that does not allow removal of the front cover without dropping the entire drivetrain, as was the case with my 2011 fusion sport.

There were no questions or directions to anyone in particular in my comments. I do know with 100% certainty that the 2.7 in my 2019 Nautilus has a belt driven oil pump as does the newer 5.0 in the Mustang and F-150. 2019 Lincoln Oil Pump Drive Belt

The 5.0's were notorious for exploding oil pump gears in high HP applications when they were driven directly from the crankshaft. The new belt driven configuration has eliminated that issue and is reliable to 1,100 HP and at sustained high RPM.

Wet belt driven oil pumps are becoming more common (3.0 Duramax diesel) and have advantages over chain drive.