2016 Edge Sport Alternator Job - Anyone have details?

Cerberus

So my Alternator is smoked. I diagnosed it, but sent it to the dealer because I thought I had a warranty in place.

However, the dealer who sold me the vehicle, sold me an 84mo/120,000mile plan which back dated the coverage to date of original purchase and zero miles...

I am pretty annoyed by that, but that is not the point here.

The dealership where I live now (not the same place) wants $1600 to do the job, to which i said a hearty F*ck that.

Parts are on the way.

Has anyone here done the job? (Omar? I remember you said yours went bad)

Does it have to be done the way the manual suggests?

I do have the ford service manual extract pages for this job which talks about dropping the A/C compressor, Comp bracket, belt tensioner, and then the Alt.

My question is, do I need to open the system? I have a  vacuum pump so its not a huge deal but I'd rather not if I don't have to

Also, I was quoted 3.6 hours to do the job which seems high, but I don't have any labor time resources to check with to verify. 

All constructive input welcome

3 hours ago, omar302 said:

Sorry, I did not notice my name.

I did not have an issue with my Alternator hence I don't have experience. Also I was expecting @Haz to jump in to help, as usual, and reply to you. I hope he is ok and doing well.

Thanks, and sorry, my mistake, I forgot to tag you, and apparently mixed you up with Nick in my memory of the post i read.

Document download links>

Generator - 2.7L EcoBoost - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Air Conditioning Compressor - 2.7L EcoBoost - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Please note that several of the numbered action-step descriptions appear on the page prior to the illustration to which they apply, due to formatting for maximum illustration size.

Go Vols !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2