Oil...anyone using 5W30 rather than 5W20?

Goldy

I just don't understand why people think the mfr recommended oil and filter are so bad or that other brands are so much better that they need to change. Especially when it's a synthetic blend already.

Seems like they want to have an engine that will run for 500,000 miles in a vehicle that will be nothing but used up and worn out in every other way at 200,000 miles. :shades:

Now I'll probably have to hide after saying that! :wacko:

If you can find an 0w20 that meets the Ford specification (M2C930) it will be OK to use. However, I don't see it on the Mobile 1 site any longer. Perhaps discontinued?

SAE 0W-20 100% Synthetic

•API SM/CF, SL, SJ. . .

•ILSAC GF-4, 3. . .

•ACEA A1/B1

•Ford WSS-M2C930-A

•Chrysler MS-6395N

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asm.aspx

Alternatively, Ford has a full synthetic 5w20 that will give you better low temperature protection (it thickens slightly les when cool) than the semi-synthetic 5w20. That is what is recommended by Ford for extreme cold climates.

I thought Motorcraft did not make a full synthetic 5W-20. I'll look for it, thanks.

I just don't understand why people think the mfr recommended oil and filter are so bad or that other brands are so much better that they need to change. Especially when it's a synthetic blend already.

Grass is greener. People like tweeks regardles if they work better or if they need it. I'm guilty as charged! :yup:

Grass is greener. People like tweeks regardles if they work better or if they need it. I'm guilty as charged! :yup:

Yeah I agree with this. I too am guilty of this. I used $12 Mobil 1 filters and Mobil 1 oil in 4 of my last cars. None of them did I keep longer than 95,000 miles. So felt kinda stupid spending nearly $50 per oil change to protect an engine I wouldnt be keeping more than 3 years.

My new Edge I do plan on keeping for up to 150,000 miles cause we recently bought a house AND had a baby so trading cars every couple years is a thing of the past. Still, I will stick with Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft filter. Bobistheoilguy.com has tons of used oil analysis reports on MC 5w20 and it always comes in as one of the better oils. And considering Ill be doing 3,000 mile oil change intervals, I think Ill be just fine with it for 150,000 miles. I figure what oil could be better than one actually designed specifically for the car youre driving by the guys that designed and built your car?! ;)

Edited by MacLeod

The Motorcraft oil specification requires that their oils meet the testing requirements - every test, every time. Many oil formulators will blend to the minimum standard to save cost. If they fail the test 9 times and get a "lucky" pass on the 10th, they will use that test as their proof of meeting the specification.

It may only matter 5% of the time, but when you are looking at millions of engines, it adds up.

• 3 months later...

the dealer where i purchased my edge puts 5w30 in everything. they only use 5w20 when you request it. at my local wally world, 5 qts of synthetic blend motocraft 5w20 is 12.00. no better deal to be found. at walmarts prices, i run motocraft 5w30 blend in a chevrolet.

the dealer where i purchased my edge puts 5w30 in everything. they only use 5w20 when you request it. at my local wally world, 5 qts of synthetic blend motocraft 5w20 is 12.00. no better deal to be found. at walmarts prices, i run motocraft 5w30 blend in a chevrolet.

Call Ford and report it. That could have serious warranty implications for Ford. I'm sure they won't put up with that.

I found several dealerships that had deals with Castrol, etc. The local oil supplier agreed to put in oil dispensing equipment, etc. in exchange for the dealership using his products.

Ford can't dictate what oil a dealership uses except in warranty repairs.

A dealership that does not universally use Motorcraft will likely compromise in other areas as well. Some had the attitiude that they would never see that customer again, so soak them for all you can get now.

Hopefully, the survey system has weeded most of them out by now..

I found several dealerships that had deals with Castrol, etc. The local oil supplier agreed to put in oil dispensing equipment, etc. in exchange for the dealership using his products.

Ford can't dictate what oil a dealership uses except in warranty repairs.

A dealership that does not universally use Motorcraft will likely compromise in other areas as well. Some had the attitiude that they would never see that customer again, so soak them for all you can get now.

Hopefully, the survey system has weeded most of them out by now..

Doesn't matter if it's Castrol or Motorcraft - using 5W30 is wrong wrong wrong and could void the warranty. That dealership needs to cease and decist with the incorrect viscosity.

Doesn't matter if it's Castrol or Motorcraft - using 5W30 is wrong wrong wrong and could void the warranty. That dealership needs to cease and decist with the incorrect viscosity.

Technically you're right, but realistically I can't ever see how 5W30 would be worse than 5W20 for durability. The only reason Ford switched to 5W20 was for fuel economy. I run 5W30 in all my cars, even those that recommend 5W20.

PS, Note that Ford has switched it's recommendation for the 3.5 Ecoboost to 5W30 for 2011. Hmmmm...

Engine oil is specified for flow characeristics at operating temperatures (usually 100 degrees C). Look at the cSt value at operating temp to see if the viscosity is within a reasonable range for your engine.

Since the EcoBoost engines operate at slightly higher temperatures (because the intake air is hotter), the cSt can be slightly higher. The high temperatues of the turbocharger would also influence the oil specification. Unfortunately, the cold start cSt is also higher with a 5W30 oil. Compare 0 degree C. values.) Most engine wear occurs at start-up.

It is tricky to try to out think the engine engineers since the oil they specify also affects engine cooling, flow, turbo lubrication, filtration and maintenance intervals.

It is not like 40 years ago when engine operating temps varied greatly from season to season. Many more things to consider today.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats why I prefer to change my own oil. You just never know what "deals" your local dealership has worked out with somebody else. You go in there thinking youre getting Motorcraft 5w20 but youre getting Castrol 5w30 instead.

Especially considering you can buy 5 qts for $12 and Pure1 filter for $8 (yeah Im kinda snobby about filters), no reason not to unless you just dont have the time or place to do it.

Edited by MacLeod

• 1 year later...

Don't know if this thread is dead, but FYI...

I was reading though my 2011 Edge manual (11edgog3e), and pg. 329 Maintenance and Specifications states:

"Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil

Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine. Refer to Maintenance product specifications and capacities later in this chapter for more information."

When I go to Maintenance product specifications and capacities on pg. 358, the item for "Engine oil" contains a superscript 1, which goes to pg. 360 and states:

"1Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark."

The Ford part number / Ford specification for Engine oil on pg. 358 lists:

"•XO-5W20-QSP (US)

•XO-5W20-QFS (US)

•CXO-5W20–LSP12

(Canada)

•CXO-5W20-LFS12

(Canada) /

WSS-M2C930-A with API

Certification Mark"

Note that the last "WSS-M2C930-A with API Certification Mark" part number is not region specific. Just a bit of a discrepancy, or I may be very bored waiting for my Edge to arrive from being shipped from South Korea. ;)

The EcoBoost Edge calls for 5W-30 rather than 5W-20. I see plenty of opportunity for an error, even by a Ford mechanic. This discussion thread had me a bit nervous as I just completed my first oil change and thought I might have made a mistake until I double checked.

I'm an Amsoil dealer, even though I sell sell the oil. If I wasn't a dealer I would still use their oil!! It's the best in the industry and I've also Seen a very slight gain in MPG in my Sport. Then again it could be the engine breaking in. The signature blend is rated for 15,000 miles. If you guys do a little research on the Amsoil products and would like to purchase let me know.

I'm an Amsoil dealer, even though I sell sell the oil. If I wasn't a dealer I would still use their oil!! It's the best in the industry and I've also Seen a very slight gain in MPG in my Sport. Then again it could be the engine breaking in. The signature blend is rated for 15,000 miles. If you guys do a little research on the Amsoil products and would like to purchase let me know.

I've had my Edge Limited since 2008 (Canada) and used the recommended 5W20 regular every fall and spring but have moved to Finland along with Edge last year and was not able to obtain 5W20. So I filled it with Ford synthetic 5W30 last fall and have not noticed any problems at normal running temperature. I think the fuel consumption saving from the 5W20 can only be seen from the total fleet and not noticeable form a customer.

I've had my Edge Limited since 2008 (Canada) and used the recommended 5W20 regular every fall and spring but have moved to Finland along with Edge last year and was not able to obtain 5W20. So I filled it with Ford synthetic 5W30 last fall and have not noticed any problems at normal running temperature. I think the fuel consumption saving from the 5W20 can only be seen from the total fleet and not noticeable form a customer.

I can't believe how anal folks get about oil--- I'll bet there's no one here who can document an engine wearing out because of one brand or the other. Most of the engines in today's automobiles will outlast the rest of the car if you simply follow owner manual recommendations. In example, my '91 Explorer developed problems everywhere but the engine. At 135,000 miles, the vehicle was pretty much used up but the engine was still in perfect condition. I used to call it my EXPLODER---- Oil used in the engine was rarely ever the same brand twice---

But, y'all keep arguing--- it makes for interesting and humorous readings!

I can't believe how anal folks get about oil--- I'll bet there's no one here who can document an engine wearing out because of one brand or the other. Most of the engines in today's automobiles will outlast the rest of the car if you simply follow owner manual recommendations. In example, my '91 Explorer developed problems everywhere but the engine. At 135,000 miles, the vehicle was pretty much used up but the engine was still in perfect condition. I used to call it my EXPLODER---- Oil used in the engine was rarely ever the same brand twice---

But, y'all keep arguing--- it makes for interesting and humorous readings!

actually you'd be surprised how some oils are in certain motors. when i had my mazdaspeed6 (manual states 5w30) i did many oil analysis' comparing amsoil (5w40), pennzoil platinum (5w30) and shell rotella t6 (5w40) and the shell rotella came back with the best wear and least fuel dilution and held up the best. so even though you think one brand isn't better than another, you are wrong until you get your oil analyzed.

actually you'd be surprised how some oils are in certain motors. when i had my mazdaspeed6 (manual states 5w30) i did many oil analysis' comparing amsoil (5w40), pennzoil platinum (5w30) and shell rotella t6 (5w40) and the shell rotella came back with the best wear and least fuel dilution and held up the best. so even though you think one brand isn't better than another, you are wrong until you get your oil analyzed.

That's not what he was saying. He was saying that the differences don't really affect the engine over the life of the vehicle as long as you change it regularly with the right specification of oil.

Your right about following changing the oil and specs, I have 2004 Nissan Pathfinder that has over 160,000 on it right now and still runs like new. I want to get rid of it cause I've grown tired of it, but my wife won't let me cause it still runs great!! Now I gotta start spreading the oil changes out longer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...