Disappointing MPG

valleyview

Attached are the mileage spreadsheets that I have maintained on my 2008 SEL. The lifetime mileage is 21.4 mpg. That includes city, highway and long trips. The yearly spreadsheets shows that computer mileage versus actual (hand calcuated) mileage on each fillup. The computer mileage has never been close. The best mileage was 30mpg taken two months ago. The worst mileage was 18.2 on the second tank in winter. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 4000 pounds. I agree with everyone else that mileage goes south in a hurry when you are in city traffic, bumper to bumper, stop light to stop light with the AC on. Highway travel is great. The tank with 30mpg included a fully loaded Edge with the AC on.

Interesting, boy you sure made a science of it.

Edited by bpattie

Interesting, boy you sure made a science of it.

Ā 

Ā 

I started the same type of spreadsheet for my new 2011 - but hadn't thought about keeping track of what the car says I was getting. I figured that wasn't totally accurate anyway.

Ā 

It will be interesting to see how mine will turn out. I drive about 40 miles a day round trip with it being about half highway half city. But I love my remote start in the winter.

I started the same type of spreadsheet for my new 2011 - but hadn't thought about keeping track of what the car says I was getting. I figured that wasn't totally accurate anyway.

Ā 

It will be interesting to see how mine will turn out. I drive about 40 miles a day round trip with it being about half highway half city. But I love my remote start in the winter.

wish he /she had shared the template instead of pasting in word doc. Now I have to build my own :-) PS only one fill up so far but looks like around 19.8 car said 20

Edited by bpattie

I recently bought a 2009 Limited AWD with 61,000 miles on it. I have recorded 6 different mpg's (on a spreadsheet - wow, were all geeks...). Here they are: 22.2, 20.3, 22.2, 19.0, 21.0, 20.3. Average is 20.7. I am a normal driver but have been driving it a bit lightly to see how good I could do. Note the calculations are based on filling it up at the same gas station. Note the 19.0 recording was when I was out of town and my wife was driving the car. Not as light as I am. Note the computer display in the car always read between 1.0 and 1.4 greater than my calculation. I always reset it when I fill up. Not city but not highway. Back roads where I can go around 55mph with some stops back and forth to work.

wish he /she had shared the template instead of pasting in word doc. Now I have to build my own :-) PS only one fill up so far but looks like around 19.8 car said 20

Ā 

Ā 

So... really that hard to build your own? If so I can send you mine. I kind of do spreadsheets for a living, but it is nothing fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

It sure is, it seems like my mileage is actually getting worse although I don't think my driving habits have changed. When I first got mine back in Feb I was getting 15 mpg, then 14, and as of now I'm down to 13 MPG, yikes.

Ā 

Some of it is also probably my fault, considering anytime I'm not stuck in city traffic I like to drive a little fast (I consider it necessary to compensate :yup:)

I've tried granny driving but just can't do it, I'm too impatient so I'll pay the few extra bucks in gas to preserve my sanity.

Ā 

I'm definitely jealous of all you guys up there in the 20s range though! It doesn't look like I'll ever pull that off, at least not as long as I'm living here...

Ā 

Ā 

start and stop city traffic is tough to get good mileage.

With 6200 miles on my 2010 MKX fwd and 1 oil change at about 5000 miles, Mobil 1, I am getting 24 on the highway and about 25 on the side roads. Cruise control really hurts the mpg, since it downshifts to maintain the set speed. I started out reading something in the 30s and when it downshifted, it went to 19 mpg. To use the cruise and keep the mileage good, I press the accellerator to override the cruise and avoid the downshifting.

• 4 weeks later...

I replace the air filter yesterday with a Hastings filter,the Oe was slightly dirty,but the sunlight was not showing thru,it had 17500 miles on it,I had done an oil change,using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic,I filled the tank,drove about 1 mile to the Southern State Pkwy,(NY),drove out east about 65 miles,the mileage has increased over previous runs,25.5mpg,then settled at 25.2mpg after a few local stops,the return trip was at 24.2mpg,average MPH was 60/70 ,Marty

Edited by Depiry

• 5 months later...

I was getting an average 18MPG when I bought it new with 100 miles on it (dealer Trade), now with over 5000+ miles on it is is bouncing between 23 and 24MPG. I have read and been told new cars need a computer break in time approx 5000 miles to figure out your driving habits and just for engine wear break in so they both work well together.

Ā 

Also If I maintain 55MPH the average stays high, when I go over 65MPH the average is worse. Seems to me this Edge is tuned for best economy at 55MPH cause that is where I average the best MPG. All figured out with a calculator at fill ups.

Ā 

They are doing consturction by me so I am forced to go 55MPH now for 1/2 of my trip, it used to be 65MPH all the way.

Ā 

Also the temp is getting hotter and cars run leaner when hot so that probably has a lot to do with my MPG gain.

Ā 

Colder air runs richer burns more fuel.

I was getting an average 18MPG when I bought it new with 100 miles on it (dealer Trade), now with over 5000+ miles on it is is bouncing between 23 and 24MPG. I have read and been told new cars need a computer break in time approx 5000 miles to figure out your driving habits and just for engine wear break in so they both work well together.

Ā 

Also If I maintain 55MPH the average stays high, when I go over 65MPH the average is worse. Seems to me this Edge is tuned for best economy at 55MPH cause that is where I average the best MPG. All figured out with a calculator at fill ups.

Ā 

They are doing consturction by me so I am forced to go 55MPH now for 1/2 of my trip, it used to be 65MPH all the way.

Ā 

Also the temp is getting hotter and cars run leaner when hot so that probably has a lot to do with my MPG gain.

Ā 

Colder air runs richer burns more fuel.

Ā 

All vehicles will get better mpg at 55 than 65. The engine is running at lower RPM and there is much less wind resistance.

You sure all vehicles?

Ā 

I got a constant MPG in my 2001 Corvette between 55 and 75 mph, the only time it changed is when I was racing or heavy on the pedal. It also didnt change when I had my Motorcycle, got a constant 54mpg. Both are vehicles.

Ā 

All vehicles will get better mpg at 55 than 65. The engine is running at lower RPM and there is much less wind resistance.

You sure all vehicles?

Ā 

I got a constant MPG in my 2001 Corvette between 55 and 75 mph, the only time it changed is when I was racing or heavy on the pedal. It also didnt change when I had my Motorcycle, got a constant 54mpg. Both are vehicles.

Ā 

Generally speaking, yes. YMMV. Was the vette in a lower gear at 55? That would explain it. In most modern cars you're in top gear well before you hit 55.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cranked out 500 miles on the highway. 75 mph, 73 degrees and rolling terrain. According to the computer I averaged 25mpg. Not to bad if the idiot gauge is even close to accurate. This is a 2010 SEL FWD with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Much better then the 03 5.4 liter F150 and pretty close to the 04 Taurus.

Just cranked out 500 miles on the highway. 75 mph, 73 degrees and rolling terrain. According to the computer I averaged 25mpg. Not to bad if the idiot gauge is even close to accurate. This is a 2010 SEL FWD with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Much better then the 03 5.4 liter F150 and pretty close to the 04 Taurus.

Ā 

Seems right to me. At 60 MPH, I get more than 30MPG.

Ā 

Ā 

Was this foot controlled or computer controlled?

Ā 

Ā