What is your MPG?

IZZYAZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've found i have to drive about 15-20 minutes before i start getting the high teen's or low 20's in MPG. if i start it drive to town (6 miles) i barely see 15mpg, that's on the interstate for couple of those miles w/ only 2 stops total. i'm ASSuming it's the oil not thining quickly ( i could be completely wrong but it makes sense to me)

Ā 

wasn't seeing good mpg so i was a little pi$$ed, ran it up to near redline a couple of times (seemed to do a little better after that)

Ā 

awaiting the 5K mark to move to Mobil Oil. (do they have semi/synth?)

• 3 weeks later...
when i fill mine up it says 300 till empty shouldnt it be higher than that . mine gets oor gas milage as well is there any thing i can do to get better gas milage with gas increasing every day 3.50 a gallon need to do something .

I just took my Edge out on the first road trip since I bought it. I waited until I got over 1500 miles on it first. Drove 300 miles each way with the AC on and with 50% of the trip over very large hills and mountains. I averaged 22.6 MPG for the entire trip. I thought that was quite reasonable since the vehicle is rated 16 city/24 highway for my FWD vehicle. It certainly beats the 16 - 17 MPG I was getting on my Mountaineer and it definitely is a lot smoother ride.

Ā 

I'll take her out for a longer road trip in June. :rockon:

i filled up today and dash said 261 miles till empty usualy it says 300 . also for mpg it says 11 tha cant be right i reset it few times. could cumputer be bad

Ā 

How did you drive it after resetting it? And for how many miles? If you reset it and then sat in stop-n-go traffic that's understandable. If you were doing 60 for 30 minutes then that's way low.

You need to drive if for awhile after resetting it. If you reset it sitting in the gas station, then pulled out of course it's going to read really low. It's showing you the average mpg since it was reset.

yes but my miles till empty has always been 300 till empty theres no reset on that either

yes but my miles till empty has always been 300 till empty theres no reset on that either

Ā 

Hi miran587. :D First: Of course you can not "reset" the "Miles to Empty" readout. That would be counter-productive and make no sense. That particular readout measures how much fuel you have in the tank and an average fuel economy reading using th Engine Control Systems, then calculates an approximate "Miles to Empty" distance. It is an ever changing calculation, and the trip computer will recalculate during your driving to compensate for higher or lower fuel consumption.

Ā 

Next: As akirby is trying to explain to you, the "Average MPG" readout is not an instant type readout. It is merely an average since the last time it was reset. When you hit "Reset", it essentially starts at zero, and works it's way higher. So each time you reset it, you are resetting to zero and giving ourself an artificially low MPG reading until you drive for some time. Then when you hit reset again, you begin the entire cycle from zero again. So as you can see, constantly hitting reset is not a good way to get an accurate short term MPG reading.

Ā 

You need to just leave it alone for several tankfuls and let it get an accurate long term reading. Fuel economy needs to be averaged over at least several tankfuls of driving, not one tankful or part of one tankful.

Ā 

If you want tank by tank MPG figures, it is a good idea to figure your MPG's the old fashioned way, as a backup to the computer. Divide your miles driven by gallons of gas needed to fill up, and do this over several tankfuls at least. Then you will know if your trip computer is working correctly (which it most likely is).

Ā 

When your "Miles to Empty" reading went from 300 to 261 the last time you filled up, it is entirely possible that the pump shut off early and you did not actually have a full tank. Therefore the lower "Miles to E" reading.

Ā 

How long have you had your Edge? How many miles are on it?

Ā 

Once you have taken a long term MPG reading, if you still think you have a problem, take it to the Dealer to have it checked. That is your best course of action.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I understand that the Edge will not get car type mileage. I am just checking to make sure that it is getting a little closer to the mfrs. numbers for mileage. When I bought my F150 the sticker said 18 hiway 14 city. With no mods I had a hard time getting 14 on the hiway. Only after $1200+ of after market stuff do I get what the mfr. says it should get. I just want to make sure that it will consistantly get 20ish mpg.

Ā 

After 6500 combined city / hwy miles, my AWD has averaged 20.2 mpg.

Ā 

The Edge is like a Japanese car. 6 speed trans, 265 horses from a 3.5 V6. It rocks. No longer do we have to sell our AMerican cars to achieve fuel economy! AMEN!

Hi miran587. :D First: Of course you can not "reset" the "Miles to Empty" readout. That would be counter-productive and make no sense. That particular readout measures how much fuel you have in the tank and an average fuel economy reading using th Engine Control Systems, then calculates an approximate "Miles to Empty" distance. It is an ever changing calculation, and the trip computer will recalculate during your driving to compensate for higher or lower fuel consumption.

Ā 

Next: As akirby is trying to explain to you, the "Average MPG" readout is not an instant type readout. It is merely an average since the last time it was reset. When you hit "Reset", it essentially starts at zero, and works it's way higher. So each time you reset it, you are resetting to zero and giving ourself an artificially low MPG reading until you drive for some time. Then when you hit reset again, you begin the entire cycle from zero again. So as you can see, constantly hitting reset is not a good way to get an accurate short term MPG reading.

Ā 

You need to just leave it alone for several tankfuls and let it get an accurate long term reading. Fuel economy needs to be averaged over at least several tankfuls of driving, not one tankful or part of one tankful.

Ā 

If you want tank by tank MPG figures, it is a good idea to figure your MPG's the old fashioned way, as a backup to the computer. Divide your miles driven by gallons of gas needed to fill up, and do this over several tankfuls at least. Then you will know if your trip computer is working correctly (which it most likely is).

Ā 

When your "Miles to Empty" reading went from 300 to 261 the last time you filled up, it is entirely possible that the pump shut off early and you did not actually have a full tank. Therefore the lower "Miles to E" reading.

Ā 

How long have you had your Edge? How many miles are on it?

Ā 

Once you have taken a long term MPG reading, if you still think you have a problem, take it to the Dealer to have it checked. That is your best course of action.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

ive had it about 6 months it has about 15k on it i dont believe pump shut off early it put in 19.3 gallons i believe we have 20 gallon tank im sure i had little in it

• 4 weeks later...

i havent reset my cp in a while and its reading 12.7 mpg and as soon as you fil it says like 260-170 till empty its going in wed. to be checked i dont know what they can check but hope fully they find something because at 4.00 a gallon something needs to be done