Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

What is the difference between NAV and the Sync turn by turn (or whatever they call it)

On-board nav shows you maps on the screen. It also does all the routing in the car's computer; Sync TDI (Traffic, Directions, and Information) has no maps, and has to use your phone to call the remote servers which calculate your route. This is especially annoying if you miss a turn, because it's then a 1+ minute operation for it to call and update your route.

I'm very disappointed with Sync TDI and wish we had sprung for the Nav. Really, REALLY hoping we can add it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL with the 201A package. I did buy a A1 map card online and it doesn't appear to work. Not sure if this will involve some reseting of the computer or anything else. The card itself does not seemed to be recognized by the stock ford mytouch system.

You don't have the Nav software unless you ordered it that way from the factory. The card is just map data.

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL with the 201A package. I did buy a A1 map card online and it doesn't appear to work. Not sure if this will involve some reseting of the computer or anything else. The card itself does not seemed to be recognized by the stock ford mytouch system.

I'm curious. Who is selling the cards on-line?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured this out yet? I can't believe it would be this hard since all the software is there and just needs to be enabled and the SD card added.

This is the only option that I really wanted on my 2011 Sport but couldn't pass up the deal that I was given so I had to pull the trigger without it.

Spoke with someone involved directly with the Sync team, here's the final word as of last week:

This *cannot* be done by a dealer. Period. It is possible for the Sync team in Dearborn to enable it if you know someone (hint, hint), but it will be wiped out the next time a dealer does a Sync upgrade on your car. So unless you live down the road from Ford HQ, and know someone on the Sync team, and are willing to pester them to do all your upgrades for you, there is currently no solution.

In the future, it is possible the dealers might be given the ability to load nav on non-nav cars. But that requires some changes to the deployment process and the software the dealers use, and the Sync team is a little busy right now being locked in a back room so they can produce a version of MyFord Touch that actually works.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump

Is there any new news on this? I just bought a Certified Pre-owned 2011 SEL with MFT but no factory nav. This was the only 2011 certified preowned edge within 3 states and I got a good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up.

I had the attitude that aftermarket portable units had better maps/upgrades/features at a far better price point than the factory units. Now I see there really is something to be said about the clean-ness of having it built right in and integrated.

Bump

Is there any new news on this? I just bought a Certified Pre-owned 2011 SEL with MFT but no factory nav. This was the only 2011 certified preowned edge within 3 states and I got a good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up.

I had the attitude that aftermarket portable units had better maps/upgrades/features at a far better price point than the factory units. Now I see there really is something to be said about the clean-ness of having it built right in and integrated.

I would expect it to be available shortly after the new release is out in January - if they've decided to do it.

You can have an aftermarket unit professionally installed and will likely look pretty good. I'd think we'd know in the next couple of months if they decide to pull the trigger on it.

I have to say first off I love the Edge but hate (with a passion) the Nav. System. I still dream about the 750.00 (or whatever) I threw away on that addition to the edge lol. My biggest complaint was the outdated maps, in my area 8 years out of date. I've always had Garmin's and decided about 2 weeks ago to buy the 3490lmt and the first thing I noticed, streets that were built 1 year or less were on the maps. I went to google maps to compare and they were exactly the same and as up to date as google. BUT as Akirby mentioned, maybe the big update in the New Year will change all that...then I'll dream about the money I wasted on the Garmin (grin). Never satisfied!!!!

I have to say first off I love the Edge but hate (with a passion) the Nav. System. I still dream about the 750.00 (or whatever) I threw away on that addition to the edge lol. My biggest complaint was the outdated maps, in my area 8 years out of date. I've always had Garmin's and decided about 2 weeks ago to buy the 3490lmt and the first thing I noticed, streets that were built 1 year or less were on the maps. I went to google maps to compare and they were exactly the same and as up to date as google. BUT as Akirby mentioned, maybe the big update in the New Year will change all that...then I'll dream about the money I wasted on the Garmin (grin). Never satisfied!!!!

There was mention of new maps to go with the new MFT software so there is hope.

There was mention of new maps to go with the new MFT software so there is hope.

Heard the same thing. Hopefully that will become a fact. Tonight I will start dreaming about my stupidity for buying the Garmin but at least that dream will be only a $300.00 one instead of the $700.00 plus. Actually I would have waited for the update but had trips to Ottawa, Toronto, Washington DC and Fairfax coming up in the next week and truthfully I didn't trust the Edge Nav. Happy holidays to you and the rest of the forum users.

Heard the same thing. Hopefully that will become a fact. Tonight I will start dreaming about my stupidity for buying the Garmin but at least that dream will be only a $300.00 one instead of the $700.00 plus. Actually I would have waited for the update but had trips to Ottawa, Toronto, Washington DC and Fairfax coming up in the next week and truthfully I didn't trust the Edge Nav. Happy holidays to you and the rest of the forum users.

I still maintain Navigon on my iPhone just in case but overall, my Edge's Nav has been "OK" ( I don't use it much)

It's nice to have the navigation integrated with other features. I hope they get the address book to work with Nav.

• 1 month later...

I sent you proof. I can't share it with everyone, but you can vouch for it's validity.

Ford has already said it was possible just by adding the Nav software. The problem is that right now there is no aftermarket option to purchase the Nav software and have it installed.

I expect Ford to start offering this soon. I suspect one of the issues is how to update Ford's database to show that a vehicle that was purchased without Nav now has Nav so that future factory MFT updates include the right software. The rest should be easy. All they'd really have to do is sell a thumb drive with an activation code that installs the nav software and the SD map card.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford has already said it was possible just by adding the Nav software. The problem is that right now there is no aftermarket option to purchase the Nav software and have it installed.

I expect Ford to start offering this soon. I suspect one of the issues is how to update Ford's database to show that a vehicle that was purchased without Nav now has Nav so that future factory MFT updates include the right software. The rest should be easy. All they'd really have to do is sell a thumb drive with an activation code that installs the nav software and the SD map card.

Has any Ford Edge out there factory ordered without MFT Nav, had Nav successfully added after the fact (I.E. someone paying the extra $800 or so?) ?

F The rest should be easy. All they'd really have to do is sell a thumb drive with an activation code that installs the nav software and the SD map card.

Not really that easy. There is Nav software in the "SYNC" system, which could be updated, but the fundamental "switch", ie is Nav turned on or not, is more or a hard-coded thing and doesn't change with software updates. Also the cluster has it's own software that is different between Nav and non-Nav. It's my understanding that the cluster could not be updated with the USB, just like you can't update the PCM code with a USB.

That being said, it is still possible to change a non-Nav vehicle to Nav with only software - I've seen it done. But as akirby points out, it's just a matter of marketing.

Not really that easy. There is Nav software in the "SYNC" system, which could be updated, but the fundamental "switch", ie is Nav turned on or not, is more or a hard-coded thing and doesn't change with software updates. Also the cluster has it's own software that is different between Nav and non-Nav. It's my understanding that the cluster could not be updated with the USB, just like you can't update the PCM code with a USB.

That being said, it is still possible to change a non-Nav vehicle to Nav with only software - I've seen it done. But as akirby points out, it's just a matter of marketing.

So who supplies the service to perform this task?

So who supplies the service to perform this task?

Nobody. Ford doesn't provide that capability to the dealers. They have to create the product to sell and a method for dealers (or owners) to install the software. The key is being able to ensure you can only install the software (and reinstall if necessary) if you've purchased it. With factory vehicles that's determined by VIN number. With an aftermarket kit it's not quite that easy. So it's technically possible but the logistics of selling an aftermarket kit haven't been worked out yet by Ford so it's not offered yet. I'm sure it will be at some point.