Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

Based on what I have seen about upgrading a vehicle to have nav I doubt Ford will offer it. It seems way to easy to have it pirated. I think the next version MFT that has nav will likely have a hardware piece that gets connected to a USB port of something on the APIM that unlocks the feature. That way only those that paid for the feature will be able to add it.

Based on what I have seen about upgrading a vehicle to have nav I doubt Ford will offer it. It seems way to easy to have it pirated. I think the next version MFT that has nav will likely have a hardware piece that gets connected to a USB port of something on the APIM that unlocks the feature. That way only those that paid for the feature will be able to add it.

Ā 

It could be an update that only the dealer could apply - just like they're the only ones who can reprogram an instrument cluster to protect the odometer, etc. Assuming you trust the dealers.

Ā 

Another option would be hard coding the software to the vehicle - either by VIN or serial number or something that the software knows that is tied to that specific vehicle. In that case the software would only work on that vehicle.

Ā 

The more likely reason for them not to offer it would be to force you to buy it when the vehicle is new.

It could be an update that only the dealer could apply - just like they're the only ones who can reprogram an instrument cluster to protect the odometer, etc. Assuming you trust the dealers.

Ā 

Another option would be hard coding the software to the vehicle - either by VIN or serial number or something that the software knows that is tied to that specific vehicle. In that case the software would only work on that vehicle.

Ā 

The more likely reason for them not to offer it would be to force you to buy it when the vehicle is new.

Anyone can reprogram the cluster if they have an appropriate J2534 passthru cable and a temp license to Motocraft.com. I think they also offer the updates there as well so it is possible for someone to do on their own.

Ā 

Sure they could hard code the VIN but from what I have seen they haven't. Not sure a S/N of key code would work since the system doesn't go out to a network to confirm it is unused. But I doubt they will go back and change that now....unless of course they are using this MFT issue to set this in place. But I think that is highly unlikely since it would be a logistical nightmare to make sure USB/sd cards don't get crossed and go to the wrong VIN.

Anyone can reprogram the cluster if they have an appropriate J2534 passthru cable and a temp license to Motocraft.com. I think they also offer the updates there as well so it is possible for someone to do on their own.

Ā 

Sure they could hard code the VIN but from what I have seen they haven't. Not sure a S/N of key code would work since the system doesn't go out to a network to confirm it is unused. But I doubt they will go back and change that now....unless of course they are using this MFT issue to set this in place. But I think that is highly unlikely since it would be a logistical nightmare to make sure USB/sd cards don't get crossed and go to the wrong VIN.

Ā 

I was thinking more of an internal identifier (like pcs use MAC addresses sometimes) that users couldn't modify, then the dealer would create the software version tied to your car and load it. You could have a copy to reload it in the future but it wouldn't work on any other vehicle. They could also update Ford's internal database so the next MFT update would also update the Nav software.

Ā 

Or maybe it's easier to just go to Ford's internal database and change the config for that VIN to include Nav and let the dealer reload the entire MFT package including Nav and whatever else needs to be updated to show it has Nav. That would probably be the easiest to implement.

• 3 months later...

When negotiating my used Limited this is what I was told about updating to Nav:

Ā 

Sorry for the delayed response, I am at Ford of China these 2 weeks. Hope all is well.

Ā 

To answer your question, you can add Navigation to the My Ford Touch system, if you have the customer purchase the A3 Navigation Card and update to new Performance Upgrade. You will have to have your dealer, reflash the SYNC software with Performance Upgrade and load the provisioning packs/maps, etc. Your service people should know how to do this.

Ā 

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Ā 

Thanks,

Ā 

James

Ford Motor Company

SYNC Technology

Ā 

Just waiting for the parts. Will update once I find out more. Hopefully I was not lied to :/

Edited by Jarod Mayne

• 2 weeks later...

So Waldo is correct. Official word is that ford will not allow dealers to do the install. Found out that the software install is not difficult and a third party can do it as long as you have the chip, but ford said it will void the warranty. I am going to talk to the engineer from the sync team to see I I can do the install myself once my warranty on the radio ends. But as finicky as my ford touch can be I am not looking to void the warranty early haha.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Ā 

Bought a used 2011 Edge limited a couple of months ago without the nav. Bought a Garmin, but sure would like to have the built in activated. Will be checking in every so often to see if Ford will allow dealers to add it. Thanks for all the responses so far.

• 3 months later...

First time poster here, i have been reading alot about the nav upgrade since i myself would be intrested in it. Today i was at my dealer for an old change and I had a conversation with the service manager whom seems to know alot about the MLT system. He told me they had just received 5 licenses to pilot project 5 NON Nav vehicals to Nav. So i asked him i would be intrested, the cost 1300.00 beside the license there were hardware changes also as per him. He told me that all 5 had been spoken for from other customers that had been on him for this for over a year. Now if there are any ford employee's here that could find out if this is true it would help people like myself and others that are intrested in the upgrade. I purchased a 2011 Lincoln MKX with no nav due the the price and the very low kilometers on it. But would be willing to make the investment in the Nav since thats all its missing.

There are no hardware changes required. If he says there are, then he's either lying or using a non-Ford authorized aftermarket package. The Nav license costs $150 and it should take no more than 30 minutes to do the software changes. So $1300 is a total scam from somebody.

Ā 

So if thats the case why are they not offering it to buyers of second hand cars, that didn't have the option to purchase it. Like i said i would be willing to pay for it.

My 2012 Limited has factory NAV.....it works fine. But.....my salesman doesn't see the point in ordering factory NAV since you get turn by turn directions with Sync and MFT....without factory NAV. Nav just adds the maps...right?

Ā 

I believe you only get 20 free calls per year, after which you have to pay a fee. I'm not sure how much or how many additional free turn by turns it would provide if you purchase the service. I use my navigation more than 20 times a month even just for finding stores, restaurant, shops, etc on the other side of town or even in the area. I have yet to make even 1 call for the turn by turn and had purchased the car in July.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Ford Senior Master Tech and also have an 2012 edge 2.0 ecoboost with mft non-nav. I have reseached this topic for months now. There is no way at this time to turn on nav sort of replacing the APIM(accessory protocol interface module) ... I have been able to reprogram my APIMmodule which is the MFT screen with info from a like vehicle with nav, and I also have the correct nav card for the maps. The Navagation and HD radio did get turned on, but the screen and fuctions but did not work correctly due to the diffrence in the APIM. The only diffrence the Nav and non nav is the APIM Module part #.. You could get one for a vehicle with nav and then program it with that vehicles info(vin #) in my edge with no nav. Ford does have the abilty to reprogram nav with modified as-built data. this will also enable this function by bypassing the mac address issue. I have spoken to the rebuild company for all of are radios and they are of the same though, but they have the abilty to modify the radio to enable nav. Im also working on a way to turn on the reverse camera with a new buttion on the mft screen or steering wheel button, and the abilty to watch video on the screen driving down the road..with a engineer friend of mine. Hes been able to add sync radios on vehicles that were never made with it. He can also wire in cameras to your MFT or older style displays with buttions on the steering wheel to comtrol them. He uses the blower motor button on the steering wheel for the camera control. Front and Rear Cameras!

Buy the way...most of these replys are wrong. you cant always belive what you read on the internet...I have been fully trained on this system and have worked with many engineers on MFT problems. I work on most SYNC and MFT problems that come into my dealer. Any Questions that you have and if you want the correct responce from somebody that is highly trained on this system...just ask..

Buy the way...most of these replys are wrong. you cant always belive what you read on the internet...I have been fully trained on this system and have worked with many engineers on MFT problems. I work on most SYNC and MFT problems that come into my dealer. Any Questions that you have and if you want the correct responce from somebody that is highly trained on this system...just ask..

Thank you Master Tech.

That is good to know

All of the info you have is incorrect. You can use turn by turn directions as much as you want.

Its totally free of charge on most vehicles for 3 years. The 20 free calls your refering to is the

operator assisted calls. You get 20 for each year for a total of 60 for 3 years.

Just getting caught up on the forum after the holidays and some vacation time and saw your reply. Thanks, I didn't know the turn by turn was an unlimited use part of the Sync system. When I purchased my 2013 the salesman told me I had 20 turn by turn uses per year without being charged. It was not made clear that only operator assisted calls counted towards the 20.

Ā 

I have navigation in my 2013 and really never had a need to try the turn by turn, especially since I thought it would count towards the 20. Today I tried the business search and then a turn by turn for that business. It downloaded everything to my nav map and allowed me to set it as a destination or a favorite. I didn't actually try driving there but it seems like another way to locate shops, stores, etc in addition to the voice search I can perform through the nav system.

Ā 

Heck, with unlimited turn by turn, I could almost have done without my nav system. Not really since I like the map and other features of it, but the turn by turn is a feature I think should be advertised more. Of course, that might mean less sales of units with the nav! :ohsnap:

Ā 

I checked my Sync account when I returned home, and am still showing 20 calls available. Thanks for the corrected information.

There is no way at this time to turn on nav sort of replacing the APIM(accessory protocol interface module)

Ā 

This is not true. You can reprogram all you want, but you need the encrypted "unlocker" to get it to work. Unfortunately Ford is currently not letting that unlocker out to the public or even to dealers. But if you do have it, you can make any non-nav MFT car have fully functional nav, no changing of the APIM is required.

• Like 1