Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

Wife just got a 13' fusion with my ford touch but without navigation. The saleperson, however, included the SD card with the maps in the center console.

Assuming I have all the components working, I am going to try to find out the missing link to get navigation activated on the unit.

Wife just got a 13' fusion with my ford touch but without navigation. The saleperson, however, included the SD card with the maps in the center console.

Ā 

Assuming I have all the components working, I am going to try to find out the missing link to get navigation activated on the unit.

Ā 

It does not work. You can add the card and the software (if you know a dealer tech) and it will still not work. The only way to add nav to a car that wasn't built with it is by using a special tool that only Ford has (not the dealers). Can't be done unless Ford wants it to be done.

• 4 weeks later...
Buy the way...most of these replys are wrong. you cant always belive what you read on the internet...I have been fully trained on this system and have worked with many engineers on MFT problems. I work on most SYNC and MFT problems that come into my dealer. Any Questions that you have and if you want the correct responce from somebody that is highly trained on this system...just ask..

Wow, Ii am so glad I read your post, and would like to ask your opinion on the following.... I am just short of investing over $2000 to put an OEM Nav unit in our 2010 MKX... supplied from these people...

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/factory-oem-navigation-radio-clarion-p-30239.html

If indeed I went through all this expense only to find that their claims that it all will work fine... well, I'd be really pissed!!! What do you think?? Does the "Brick Install Kit" they mention solve the issues you name above? Or do you think we should just keep our non-nav unit and learn to be happy with it and save the $2k? Incidentally, we have the older version of Sync... no MFT.

Edited by Bosco390

Wow, Ii am so glad I read your post, and would like to ask your opinion on the following.... I am just short of investing over $2000 to put an OEM Nav unit in our 2010 MKX... supplied from these people...

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/factory-oem-navigation-radio-clarion-p-30239.html

If indeed I went through all this expense only to find that their claims that it all will work fine... well, I'd be really pissed!!! What do you think?? Does the "Brick Install Kit" they mention solve the issues you name above? Or do you think we should just keep our non-nav unit and learn to be happy with it and save the $2k? Incidentally, we have the older version of Sync... no MFT.

I'm pretty sure this thread applies to the 2011-up models.........hence the reason they are listed as compatible in the link you posted.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It can be added. I promise.

Well dingo would u care to fill me in?

Care to elaborate or would that violate the fifth amendment?

Ā 

I have been trying to figure this out since I bought my 2011 edge. I could realy use some words of wisdom. If you have any for me

It can be added. I promise.

Well dingo would u care to fill me in?

Care to elaborate or would that violate the fifth amendment?

Ā 

I have been trying to figure this out since I bought my 2011 edge. I could realy use some words of wisdom. If you have any for me

Not really that easy. There is Nav software in the "SYNC" system, which could be updated, but the fundamental "switch", ie is Nav turned on or not, is more or a hard-coded thing and doesn't change with software updates. Also the cluster has it's own software that is different between Nav and non-Nav. It's my understanding that the cluster could not be updated with the USB, just like you can't update the PCM code with a USB.

Ā 

That being said, it is still possible to change a non-Nav vehicle to Nav with only software - I've seen it done. But as akirby points out, it's just a matter of marketing.

I cant find anything. And you say you have seen it? Why don't you help a blind man see!

I believe he is referring to a bootleg style of nav on a non-nav, The other obvious question is why not let any device ( phone, tablet) that can run a nav directions program just plug into the bigger MFT screen? Same reason Marketing & big bucks to sell you theirs & not allow.

I believe he is referring to a bootleg style of nav on a non-nav, The other obvious question is why not let any device ( phone, tablet) that can run a nav directions program just plug into the bigger MFT screen? Same reason Marketing & big bucks to sell you theirs & not allow.

Ā 

That's certainly part of it, but there is a big technical issue with making that work seamlessly. Different screen sizes, touch commands, standard apis. Not as easy as "just plug it in".

There are also a lot of FMVSS rules that apply to cars that don't apply to desktop computers/tablets/portable devices. If Ford lets you control what's on the screen, how do they ensure that you are only doing things that are legally allowed to be done on the screen?

Ā 

And to mw75098, the only way to add factory nav is to have someone with access to the unlocking tool. But those are only Ford engineers and their suppliers and they are instructed not to give it to anybody that's not a Ford engineer.

There are also a lot of FMVSS rules that apply to cars that don't apply to desktop computers/tablets/portable devices. If Ford lets you control what's on the screen, how do they ensure that you are only doing things that are legally allowed to be done on the screen?

Ā 

Right - like watching a video while the car is in motion. That's illegal.

• 4 months later...

We just purchased a used 14 Edge with MFT. It has the SD slot, but I cannot see the green Navigation button on the screen. The dealer salesperson told us it had Nav, and gave us the A5 SSD card. I intend to take it to the dealership, and have them tell me what is up. I have a sinking feeling, it in fact does not have Nav. I am hoping, if it doesn't have it, they can "install" it.

I am hoping this is something that can now be done at the dealership. There are posts from 2011 regarding this. Does anyone know if it is now possible?

Thanks

Still not possible as far as I know. Run your VIN at this site to see just about everything there is to know about your car and what options it was built with. Open the link, click the top left "Vehicle" then enter your VIN. Hit Search and you will have in depth information on your car.

Ā 

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Ā 

Or thry this site to see if it will show your original window sticker. You will need your VIN there also.

Ā 

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html