Clunky "lazy" Shifts

AXCL

I'm having an issue very similar to another post, but its older and for an 08' I believe, so I've started a new thread in here as I'm assuming it would be a completely different transmission for the 2011 3.7L.

This issue is really hard rough shifts at low speed/rpm in 1/2/3rd. As the other poster described it, the truck jerks hard almost like someone bumped into you. This can't be good on the tranny. I've already reported it to my dealer and will be bringing the Edge in next week for its first service. Just wondering if anyone else with an 2011 Edge Sport has noticed this and if they've managed to get it rectified.

Thanks!

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5077-1-2-shift-issue/"]Old Post

I'm having an issue very similar to another post, but its older and for an 08' I believe, so I've started a new thread in here as I'm assuming it would be a completely different transmission for the 2011 3.7L.

This issue is really hard rough shifts at low speed/rpm in 1/2/3rd. As the other poster described it, the truck jerks hard almost like someone bumped into you. This can't be good on the tranny. I've already reported it to my dealer and will be bringing the Edge in next week for its first service. Just wondering if anyone else with an 2011 Edge Sport has noticed this and if they've managed to get it rectified.

Thanks!

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5077-1-2-shift-issue/"]Old Post

I believe all Edges use the same 6F50 transmission including the sport.

I believe all Edges use the same 6F50 transmission including the sport.

Thanks Akirby! I've used your info to do some research and I think you're right.

Even with the same model transmission, would the 3.7L have the same programming? I think that is really what it comes down to.

I would contact the dealer ASAP.

My 2008 would hunt for a split second then slam into a gear, it was terrible, but dealer could not reproduce it so they said it didn't exist. It was very frustrating, they claimed they never heard anything like it, and I knew I wasnt the only one having the problem. When I printed others posts, they said it was much the same as "one person crying the blues and another being sympathetic and saying the same thing!!!!"

New 2011 trans is so smooth I cant believe the difference. Something is not quite right if you're new 11 is having this problem.

I would contact the dealer ASAP.

My 2008 would hunt for a split second then slam into a gear, it was terrible, but dealer could not reproduce it so they said it didn't exist. It was very frustrating, they claimed they never heard anything like it, and I knew I wasnt the only one having the problem. When I printed others posts, they said it was much the same as "one person crying the blues and another being sympathetic and saying the same thing!!!!"

New 2011 trans is so smooth I cant believe the difference. Something is not quite right if you're new 11 is having this problem.

I'm afraid it might be the same scenario as you. I've just rolled 5000KM and its only happened to me 5-6 times, so I'm certainly not going to give my Edge to them to put 1000KM's on it before they find the issue. It's going in on Thursday, so I'll be bringing it up then. I'm hoping it is just early software for that tranny/engine combo and it will be a simple flash, but perhaps its too new for them to have enough people report it for an update to be created :sos:

• 3 months later...

I'm afraid it might be the same scenario as you. I've just rolled 5000KM and its only happened to me 5-6 times, so I'm certainly not going to give my Edge to them to put 1000KM's on it before they find the issue. It's going in on Thursday, so I'll be bringing it up then. I'm hoping it is just early software for that tranny/engine combo and it will be a simple flash, but perhaps its too new for them to have enough people report it for an update to be created :sos:

Update on this???

In 6 months of driving my 2011 MKX, I've experienced very abrupt shifts 3 times, twice while accelerating slowly from a stop and once while already moving slowly. Strong enough to really jerk me. The dealer attributes it to a cold transmission. True, the transmission would have been fairly cold at the time but why only those 3 times?

Got to get around to buying that extended warranty...

Edited by Ctrl-z

• 2 weeks later...

In 6 months of driving my 2011 MKX, I've experienced very abrupt shifts 3 times, twice while accelerating slowly from a stop and once while already moving slowly. Strong enough to really jerk me. The dealer attributes it to a cold transmission. True, the transmission would have been fairly cold at the time but why only those 3 times?

Got to get around to buying that extended warranty...

I'm glad I got the extended warranty right off the bat! For me it certainly isn't related to a cold transmission, its happened 30min+ into driving. I've had it a lot more then 3 times, but likely only 3-4 really kicked. I've felt a few softer ones that I know if I was accelerating a bit more it would have been more harsh. I've only noticed the issue in heavy traffic.

There are some other updates in the 2011 Edge/MKX section.

• 2 months later...

I have had my 11 edge sport since January and in the past couple weeks I just started to notice the rough shifts at low speeds also. If is definitly not a cold transmission since I was out and about for over a hour the times I noticed it happening. I will be taking to dealer for an oil change soon and will ask them to look at it.

I have had my 11 edge sport since January and in the past couple weeks I just started to notice the rough shifts at low speeds also. If is definitly not a cold transmission since I was out and about for over a hour the times I noticed it happening. I will be taking to dealer for an oil change soon and will ask them to look at it.

Have you been doing a lot more heavy traffic driving lately? If you're issue is the same as mine, it a problem with a solenoid delay, that appears to happen when traveling slow. (in traffic) I never get it when I'm doing normal driving. I had my mapping programming wiped which worked for a while, but its back now. It seems that its learning the wrong way to shift during those specific scenarios.

• 1 month later...

I have had my 2011 sport AWD since april and have noticed lazy shifts from time to time. I figured it was just learning or the fact that i was comming from a CVT car after 5 years and forgot how it feels when an auto shifts.... although my F250 diesel shifts FAR smoother. Today driving back to work after my lunch break i was doing around 40-45mph and BOOOOOOM! It felt like i ran over a hand grenade. I was too startled to even notice if the engine stumbled or if i lost power to the wheels. I seriously thought something exploded in my car. Even pedestrians walking on the sides of the roads stopped and looked from 30' away. I coasted down to around 20mph and regained my composure while doing a quick check in the car, testing my brakes and power steering showed all systems were ok. The car actually drove fine back to work the rest of the way. After work i took it around town with the radio off to listen for anything odd. Little whine noises came and went and subtle crunching and clicking from time to time, but i realized that i had never actually just listened to the car with the radio off and windows down. It drove and shifted fine though. I have an appointment on 8/6/11 for my complimentary oil change and i plan to bring a print out of TSB 11-56-6 with me. Ill see if i can get one of them to test drive it.

• 3 months later...

I currently have 17,500kms on my '11 sport and it has been to the dealership 4 times in less than a year. I purchased it last October and really liked it. The first 3 "visits" were related to the navigation system not working, part of the radio stations didn't show up, phones would not connect for handsfree use, etc. The most recent "visit" to the dealership was a transmission issue. After the vehicle was warmed up and had been driving for 15 minutes at different speeds, :censored: hit the fan. I was going up a small incline hill and the vehicle upshifted from a lower gear (automatic mode) and a loud thud. It felt like i ran over top of something big in the middle of the road. I have owned over a dozen vehicles and have never experienced anything close to this. It lunged the vehicle forward and I didn't know what to think. I drove it to the dealership, no other noise or issues and told them. One salesman said this is a common problem in the new ford trucks with 6 speed transmissions. If this is a common problem, my Edge is for sale tonight. After looking at the vehicle, the problem they proclaim was a internal seal on the PTU. They replaced it, test drove the vehicle and cleared it. Well, on the way home from picking it up it made another clunky shift when it downshifted after a corner. That took a total of 5 minutes to have it happen again. Will keep everyone posted... GRRRRRRRR :rant2:

• Like 1

I currently have 17,500kms on my '11 sport and it has been to the dealership 4 times in less than a year. I purchased it last October and really liked it. The first 3 "visits" were related to the navigation system not working, part of the radio stations didn't show up, phones would not connect for handsfree use, etc. The most recent "visit" to the dealership was a transmission issue. After the vehicle was warmed up and had been driving for 15 minutes at different speeds, :censored: hit the fan. I was going up a small incline hill and the vehicle upshifted from a lower gear (automatic mode) and a loud thud. It felt like i ran over top of something big in the middle of the road. I have owned over a dozen vehicles and have never experienced anything close to this. It lunged the vehicle forward and I didn't know what to think. I drove it to the dealership, no other noise or issues and told them. One salesman said this is a common problem in the new ford trucks with 6 speed transmissions. If this is a common problem, my Edge is for sale tonight. After looking at the vehicle, the problem they proclaim was a internal seal on the PTU. They replaced it, test drove the vehicle and cleared it. Well, on the way home from picking it up it made another clunky shift when it downshifted after a corner. That took a total of 5 minutes to have it happen again. Will keep everyone posted... GRRRRRRRR :rant2:

There is a new(ish) TSB for this, its a lot more then the PTU seal. Your dealer should have known about this one. It involves physical updates to your tranny and a software update. It did a lot for me, but I'm still not 100% happy, although it is MUCH better!

This tread has a lot more details.

Tranny TSB

Edited by AXCL

• 3 years later...
Resurrecting somewhat of an old thread here but I get this exact same problem and I'm wondering if anyone has managed to resolve it. I have a 2008 Ford Edge with 96,000 km on it. It's in immaculate condition.

When I slow down to about 10 km per hour from about 30 to 50 km per hour and then step on the gas to speed up again right away, I get a "jerk' or as it is referred to here, a "hard shift" (while accelerating slowly from already moving fairly slowly). It is hard enough to move me in my seat which is why I think this is also a safety issue aside from a mechanical one. I've looked at many other threads about this, seems like LOTS of people with all different years of Ford Edges and even the MKX have this problem. My vehicle has done this from the day we bought it.

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it is so annoying. If it's something as simple (?) as replacing the transmission sensors (as someone noted in one of the threads here in this forum) as opposed to replacing the whole transmission, I could live with that. I finally called Ford Canada today about this issue and they have "no information" available about this problem which is really interesting because it seems to be so widespread. They also told me that they do not monitor the Internet as there could be "Ford haters" in these forums! I'd say most of the people here are Ford LOVERS. I don't expect them to monitor the Internet but hello... do we have a problem here or what? I see no TSB about this anywhere, including the Ford Canada site.

• 4 years later...

I'm going to resurrect this one again... has anybody identified the root cause of the problem in this thread? I have a 2008 Mercury Sable Premier (98k miles), with the same 6F50 transmission. What I am experiencing is inconsistent hard shift between first and second gear at low RPM, mostly in stop-and-go traffic. The jerk is on the verge of physically painful, not to mention emotionally as I sense my transmission slowly dying after every jerk. I'm now resorting to leaving the car in Low will driving in traffic to avoid further damage.  The problem started some 6k miles ago. Just like people on this forum and others, I am not getting a single code popping up. Brought it to ford this weekend that they said they would need to bring it in for diagnostics and check it out themselves. But because the problem is so inconsistent, my guess, as others have experienced, is that they will not be able to replicate and send me on my way. 

More and more people have been pointing towards the TSS and OSS sensors as the root cause, however I have yet to find a thread where that has been confirmed. I have the repair manual and am confident I can get to the sensors and replace them, but I don't want to burn a weekend (or more since nothing goes as smooth as expected) to replace sensors that are not even throwing a code! 

Those TSB issues seems interesting above, but unfortunately all of those links are dead now. 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

Regards

Just-an-average-guy-scared-to-crap-of-the-cost-of-replacing-a-transmission.

The tussle is usually between the TSS OSS sensors and the solenoid body.  More often the sensors than not, but we are starting to see the solenoid bodies starting to fail as well.  You can run diagnostics on the solenoid body without having to open the main control cover, so at least there is that :)

As far as replacing the sensors, taking your time and doublechecking your work is very important.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Sable into ford. As expected, they could not reproduce and wanted to send me on my way. Somebody in one of these forums had the great idea of just leaving their car with ford and let one of their mechanics use it as a daily driver till they could reproduce the problem. Three days later (yesterday) I got the call. Problem reproduced. The flight recorder is detecting any codes or errors. The system performs nominally, but during the "clunks" there seems to be a pressure drop detected in the transmission. I didnt catch it all over the phone, but Ford seems to think it would take more time to diagnose the problem then to just swap out the transmission. So for only 5k they can have me out the door with a 40k mile tranny..... 

How about no. I'm going to go in and talk to the mechanic that worked on it directly. I purchased the vehicle for 5k so it's not worth it to swap the tranny for that much. Plus, with no solution to the problem on their end, for all I know this will just happen again at 80k-90k miles and I'll be back to square one. 

All sensors and the solenoid body seem to check out during diagnostics. TSS and OSS are not throwing any failures. I talked to a industry shop and they said they had never seen a failed OSS or TSS without codes indicating their demise. 

Dexter - I'll look into the "drive line clunk" TSBs. When I mentioned a TSB that described my exact problem they said my software was already at the most recent update. 

Any more information you guys have would be helpful. Thank you all for your time.