Engine stalled while backing up

AXCL

OK, I don't like the fact that I have half the posts in this section! :stats:

I just had my Edge Sport stall on me this weekend. I was just pulling into a parking spot to turn around. I started backing up and the truck died. The left LCD went to "Low Oil Pressure", but I would assume that is the same as turning a key to the on setting, without starting the car. I restarted it and no issues since.

Anyone else have this issue?

My wife was getting pissed at me as every time we'd stop somewhere I had to back out of the parking spot and drive back in just testing to see if it would happen again. :finger: Nope, all seems fine now, but I hope its not a sign of things to come.

Was the engine at operating temp, nice and warm? Why I'm asking, and granted I'm no tech, but I have read where the idle of the 3.7 is set low to save gas. Setting it too low can risk it stalling. I'm thinking this might be a by-product of that setting.

Mine was certainly warm, I had just driven 100km at that point. My car had been running for over an hour. I think you may still be on the right track though. Being warm it would idle even lower. If I recall, I put it into park for about 10sec or so, then into reverse. It moved about 1 foot and lost power. It may have been this quick exchange from D to P to R that cause the car to be in the incorrect idle state ??

I was at the shop yesterday and was told that this issue may even be related and resolved to the big mytouch update coming out. The service adviser told me he understood that the entire vehicle is getting a programing overhaul. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by AXCL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mine did the same thing while driving on high way! extremlly dangerous. Check engine light came on this time.

It happned once before while I was waiting at gas station. That time no check engine light at all.

Don't konw if this time error message came on due to the fact that the engine stalled twice, one while driving on the high way, another one at a traffic light 10 mins after.

I brought it in to my dealer and just got a call from them saying it is the catalytic converter. Hopefully, it will fix the problem.

2011 Edge limited with less than 10K.

happens sometimes if you throw in sharp turning, low idle, etc it just stalls out. it happens on some vehicles. its a PITA but not really a big deal i dont think

I never had any vehicle I owned ever stall on me. I think it would be a big deal especially on a brand new car !

Happened to me once as well. I'm surprised that it would be a Catalytic Converter???????????? That makes zero sense....

The good news is that it will store it in the PCM. Get it checked if it is stalling out when you're driving... No big deal somebody said. That makes even less sense than the damn catalytic converter diagnosis! if you stall doing 100 + km/hr, you rlife is on the line.... Lets hope there is a fix for this as I don't want it happening again

• 1 month later...

Happened to me once as well. I'm surprised that it would be a Catalytic Converter???????????? That makes zero sense....

The good news is that it will store it in the PCM. Get it checked if it is stalling out when you're driving... No big deal somebody said. That makes even less sense than the damn catalytic converter diagnosis! if you stall doing 100 + km/hr, you rlife is on the line.... Lets hope there is a fix for this as I don't want it happening again

Mine has done it about 5 times, always in reverse, when shifting quickly (never happened in any other car before to me). I took it to the dealer after the first few and they did something with the throttle body, I had a more serious transmission scare a couple of months later (I could only drive in 1st or 2nd gear and the check engine light came on )- I took it in and they did a computer update and fixed it, now it is stalling again in reverse.

All of this with only 4000 miles.

• 4 months later...

These new fords are electronic throttle bodies are not cable anymore (every automaker is starting to do so) these fords are know for their throttle body to go crazy. But unlike Toyota who would accelerate out of control, once the computer senses something it completely shuts the flaps. if you have warranty tell them it's happened quit a few times and it's done it to you on the highway and they will replace your throttle body

• 2 weeks later...

If you turn your car off and back on most of the time it will be fine again. So I would say throw it into neutral then turn it off and back on. Obviously doing all this with your hazard lights on. But I think ford changed their throttle bodies so hopefully fixed that problem.

Thanks for the info. I will be getting my new car after 3 weeks and I hope that I do not face this problem.

• 3 months later...

This happened to me the other day except that I was not in reverse. I was going about 45 mph down the road and all of a sudden I started losing power, a low oil pressure warning light came on, and I lost power steering. No obvious leaks or anything. I was able to start the car back up and make it home (which was only about a mile). I called Ford Roadside Assistance and they came and picked up the car. The dealer said that the system did not record any problems (of course) but that they'll check out a few more things tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what they said (which I fully expect to be nothing). :slapfight:

Edited by HoustonEdge

Update: Got my car back fromt the dealership after a week in the shop. The car didn't register any codes of course when the car crapped out. Therefore, the dealer claims there's nothing they could do to fix the issue except wait to see if it happens again. Yippee, now I get to hope and pray that my car with 8,500 miles on it doesn't die in the middle of traffic on a busy Houston freeway or that it doesn't crap out somewhere in deep South Texas close to the Mexican border. Guess I need to start working on my concealed carry permit to defend myself from the Mexican drug lords. Don't think I'll stand a chance though.

• 1 month later...

Not to bring a dead thread back to life, but this is exactly what happened to me. Engine stalled going 70mph on the freeway. Lost power steering etc. No warning. Its a 2011 Ford Edge with 8k miles on it. Initial response from dealer is that no codes popped up and they can't recreate the problem. Makes me nervous considering I had my family in the car at the time it happened. And my wife drives this with my 3 month old in the car most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I've put another 5,000 miles or so on my car since this happened. I haven't run into any issues. The dealer said that it may have been some bad gas. I'm still a bit nervous to see if it happens again or not; however, it sounds like most people that experienced this problem have been "one and done". It only happened once and they haven't had any more issues.

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me!!! 2013 Ford Edge Sport, I was at a stop and when I pushed the gas it sputtered and the low oil pressure light came on and it wouldn't restart. Towed it to the nearest Ford, of course it restarted at the dealer and no codes. They think the have tracked it down to a wiring harness. Don't know....First Ford maybe last

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 edge Limited with 31,000 miles and have experienced similar problems for the first time this week. Twice the car stalled at low speeds and once going 60 miles per hour on the interstate where there was no place to pull over and get out of heavy traffic. Had to coast to a gradual stop with hazards on and pray the cars behind me were paying attention. The dealer's assessment is the throttle body is bad. Part is on back order so no Idea when I will get the car back and no offer of a loaner even though the car is under warranty. I will request one tomorrow. If anyone knows what the fix is or if they have suggested fixes that did not work please let me know. There seems to be varying experiences on fix and reliability after fix. Might be ready to go back to Hondas. No car is worth your life and it seems to me if this is an ongoing problem Ford should recall. What are they waiting for? Does someone have to die for them to deal with this? My three year old granddaughter was with me and I thank God the end result was not worse.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2011 Edge with 56K. Last week I was on a major highway, far left lane doing 70 and I heard my car sputter. I had no accelerator pedal. I coasted into the gap between the left lane and HOV entrance. The engine quit as I got to the side. The AWD light on the left was flashing a wrench showed up as the error. I restarted the engine and drove straight to the dealership. Nothing. HUH? I almost got smashed on a Dallas highway. It was something!! Computer didn't register the problem. Dealer said bring it back when it does it again. Ha, nice! Saturday morning, did this twice to me leaving the neighborhood - same flashing AWD and wrench. Husband drove it and gave me the same sure honey look. Well I showed them. This morning less than 5 minutes outside the city, left lane with no shoulder and the warnings were going, no engine, nothing. I took photos and restarted. Made it a few hundred feet in the right lane this time and it did it again. When I restarted this time I had a check engine light. The wrench went away each time though. This time the dealer I limped to replaced the throttle body and I spent almost $1K. The service person said he's seen quite a few of these and to save my receipt and submit it after the recall issued. I'm SO SICK of being the poster child of things that need to be recalled on the Edge line. First the sync system, then the driver and rear lift gate, now the throttle body. If they know they have this problem, why don't they inform us so we don't get hurt or cause an accident :(

T minus 6 months until my Ford is someone else's problem. No more Ford Ever!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just happened to me this morning on my 2013 Sport with 6,000 miles. Scared the crap out of me as the low oil pressure light came on and my steering went completely out as I was turning. Started right back up. It better be a one and done type of thing otherwise it's gone. Not dealing with a vehicle shutting off in traffic with family or friends in the car. Hell no.