Hey guys, how many of you tinted ALL your glass, oppossed to just the front two? The reason i ask is, my tint guy said the dark privacy glass has no UV protection or heat barrier quailities. He said it was like the rear glass is wearing cheap sunglasses! I've only had my edge a few days now,so don't know if I need to tint the whole thing, especically in the summer months. What do you think?

Saying it as an absolute "no" UV or heat reduction, is incorrect, however it is nowhere near what GOOD tint will give you. His analogy regarding cheap sunglasses is fairly accurate. To be honest, I don't know why. I guess its just smoked glass and doesn't have UV coatings like good sunglasses? Automakers should start doing this. You'll notice its always called "Privacy Glass", but never mentions any heat or UV properties. I'm sure there is some, but I think if it was significant enough, they'd list it as a plus somewhere.

Ā 

If you get even high quality dyed film, it will also have little to no heat reduction, but can have great UV protection. You need to get a higher quality metalized film, or better yet, a ceramic film to block heat. With the ceramic film, it was night and day to high end dyed film. I've had both and you notice it a lot. As far as looks go, there isn't much difference, if you stay with the same style, ceramic is a bit more reflective.

Ā 

Where I purchased my tint, they had a demo heat lamp, where you could slide in glass with different tints. I it was a very significant difference. I used Formula 1, "Pinnacle" in 2 cars which is ceramic. I've had "classic" in my last car as it was a lot cheaper, but decided to go back to "Pinnacle" in the Edge as I noticed a large heat difference and that was one of my major reasons for tint. All I know is on a 30C sunny day, I barely feel the suns heat coming in my side windows!

Ā 

To answer your main question though, I did 15% front, 35% rear. With the rear already being approx 20% and covered with 35%, I now have approx. 7% light transmission in the back :shades: My kids love to make faces at me when I pump gas as I can't see them at all. :wacko:

Ā 

Here is a good link to see the differences in the Formula 1 tint, if you check out the rest of their website, it has a lot of very useful info. Note that you can get clear UV shield if you want, but it doesn't have much heat blocking.

Ā 

Formula One Tint

Ā 

Update: I've tried researching some info on "factory tint" and it appears that even normal clear glass blocks a lot of UVA, but standard factory tint doesn't have many properties to block UVB rays. I've also found that UV rated glass should have a stamp on it somewhere, I'll take a look at the Edge to see if I can find any markings. Some higher end vehicles have this, but I don't think we do.

Edited by AXCL

AXCL, thanks for the quality post, helps me alot. I'm going in tomarrow for the front two windows, 30% a good medium shade. I'm also going to have my tint guy do the vista roof as well, my main concern is heat in so cal, probably do 20% on that. Not sure the brand of tint ,but I trust this company because they did my infiniti G37 really well. I know they use quality lifetime brands and they computer cut all their films, no razor blades. thanks again for the help!

Hey guys, how many of you tinted ALL your glass, oppossed to just the front two? The reason i ask is, my tint guy said the dark privacy glass has no UV protection or heat barrier quailities. He said it was like the rear glass is wearing cheap sunglasses! I've only had my edge a few days now,so don't know if I need to tint the whole thing, especically in the summer months. What do you think?

Ā 

After purchasing my Edge the first thing I did was Tint all the rear windows. I have been tinting windows for years and have tinted most of my vehicles. I tinted the rear windows with 10% and the front door windows I tinted with 20%. My rear windows are very dark and are hard to see out of at night, however I am used to it. I would recommend a 20% on the rear and the front to give the Edge a nice look, functionality and protection from the sun. I believe your tint guy to be correct about the Heat barrier. I do notice a difference in temperature during hot months with the tint. Hope this helps.

I get every vehicle I buy tinted to 20% all the way around and the back glass tinted to 5%.

Ā 

The back one more to keep people from being able to walk by and see what I have in the back as well as not being blinded by some stooge with their brights on behind me.

You guys are fortunate to live in jurisdictions that permit front window tinting and never having to take your vehicle to any of the many places where it's not allowed. Around here when the cops get their budget squeezed sufficiently, they conduct check stops and raise a good deal of revenue with fines applied to each individual tinted front window. And enforced removal of tints. Even the lightest of after-market tint is illegal.

Edited by Ctrl-z

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread from the dead...was just reading regarding the rear tint and it not blocking UV rays. How can this be allowed? They don't allow sunglasses to be sold without UV protection so how would this be any different? Just worried about my little guy back there; if his pupils are opening due to low light levels but there is more than normal UV there could be long term issues.

Ā 

Did some more searching and found this link: http://www.lxforums.com/board/f92/window-tint-warning-2011-dodges-chryslers-244338/

Ā 

Does anyone know if the new Edges use this type of glass? It mentions at the bottom that some Fords do.

Edited by wlepse

I got the front sides done to match the back with "good" quality 3M. Ive done it every car myself, wife and daughter has owned.

Ā 

On my new Edge I also did something new. I had the front windshield done with the super fancy 3M stuff in a almost clear tint. Why you ask? It cuts down something like 40% of the heat coming through and all the UV. It's a noticeable difference in Florida and worth the....sigh....$200 cost.

Ā 

Heres a link

Ā 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchgardAutoProtection/Home/CarBuyers/Home/Products/WindowFilm/CrystallineWindowFilm/

Ā 

I got the 70 version and can't tell that the window has been tinted.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the front sides done to match the back with "good" quality 3M. Ive done it every car myself, wife and daughter has owned.

Ā 

On my new Edge I also did something new. I had the front windshield done with the super fancy 3M stuff in a almost clear tint. Why you ask? It cuts down something like 40% of the heat coming through and all the UV. It's a noticeable difference in Florida and worth the....sigh....$200 cost.

Ā 

Heres a link

Ā 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchgardAutoProtection/Home/CarBuyers/Home/Products/WindowFilm/CrystallineWindowFilm/

Ā 

I got the 70 version and can't tell that the window has been tinted.

Ā 

Ā 

3M Crystaline is what it's called and it's by far the best heat rejection and UV rejection tint you can buy. It only goes down to 40% but as light as 90% (OEM glass is 70%). The 90% version is new and was created to go on car with really strict laws about tint as it is clearer than glass. The standard is the 70% version and it's phenominal. I too have it on my entire front windshield and it is basically needed in FL. It has amazing heat rejection and that is better than most other tints at 5%. A lot of high end exotics get 3M all around as owners don't want dark tints on their ferraris and lambos when they want to been seen but not roasted from the sun.

Edited by NWS Alpine

To those that had the front windows tinted, did they need to scrap off the painted info from Ford? I don't recall having anything like this on my last car I had tinted but on this car the area with manufacturer name etc is quite big and I am concerned it will cause a bunch of bubbles.

To those that had the front windows tinted, did they need to scrap off the painted info from Ford? I don't recall having anything like this on my last car I had tinted but on this car the area with manufacturer name etc is quite big and I am concerned it will cause a bunch of bubbles.

Ā 

I had the fronts tinted, they removed the paste on stickers, sirus, etc, but the etched VIN and ford logo were tinted over. My last car was a civic and the tink lasted around 10 years before the 1st bubble, so I'm not that concerned, if it lasts 8 years I can have the tint removed and redone as it's only two windows...

Ā 

M.

• 1 month later...

I talked to my local tint shop today. They want to tint the front windows at 18% to match the rear windows. I have heard the back windows are around 20%, but I don't want the front windows to end up a little bit darker. Does anyone know if 18% is accurate?

Ā 

They are going to charge me $99 for the front windows and guarantee the color for as long as I own the car.

• 4 weeks later...