2011 Edge Sport rust spots on front doors

daconfusion

I notice too that little lip on the front edge of the front door tends to collect water. That is definitely a design flaw. if it's not address soon we would definitely be seeing rusted out doors in a few years. I believe your solution of filling that lip with silicone to prevent water from pooling in that area should work as long as it is not another drain hole for the door.

I notice too that little lip on the front edge of the front door tends to collect water. That is definitely a design flaw. if it's not address soon we would definitely be seeing rusted out doors in a few years. I believe your solution of filling that lip with silicone to prevent water from pooling in that area should work as long as it is not another drain hole for the door.

It is definitely not some sort of drain... just the bottom edge sheet metal foled cver in the corner. That area is not protected from the elements, so water will collect in that small space, therefore cause rusting, I advise all owners to clean then seal that little open corner with silicone, I went one step further and added a seal to dress up the area, here are some pics...

fordedgedoorseals003.jpg

fordedgedoorseals002.jpg

fordedgedoorseals001.jpg

seals added to underside of doors, completely seals sill area when door is closed, can't see seal unless you get down there and look. They are inset about 3/8 of an inch...stays so much cleaner down there!!

fordedgedoorseals015.jpg

fordedgedoorseals005.jpg

fordedgedoorseals008.jpg

fordedgedoorseals007.jpg

fordedgedoorseals006.jpg

Sorry crappy photos, think I'm buying a Nikon SLR tonight!!!

Edited by yogregb

Hello to all, I stumbled across this post because I had noticed a LOT of water dripping from the bottom of my wife 2010 Edge doors after raining during the night. I am an Expert in Classic Muscle car Restoration and I have numerous complete restorations under my belt. I would like to point out that the Doors, Fenders and Quarter Panels all have water running behind them. They all have their own kind of "Weep Hole" that lets the water to run out. You DEFINITELY don't want to seal these weep holes up with anything. Especially Silicone which promotes rust on automobiles. Water does NOT run up wards and it needs a place to flow. As far as the rust, and it is definitely rust, go buy some rust inhibitor treatment and clean it up and apply it.

I will be pulling my door panels off and doing my own investigating soon. I’ll keep y’all posted if interested.

TTYS, Ron

post-10350-070120900 1303248071_thumb.jpg

Hello to all, I stumbled across this post because I had noticed a LOT of water dripping from the bottom of my wife 2010 Edge doors after raining during the night. I am an Expert in Classic Muscle car Restoration and I have numerous complete restorations under my belt. I would like to point out that the Doors, Fenders and Quarter Panels all have water running behind them. They all have their own kind of "Weep Hole" that lets the water to run out. You DEFINITELY don't want to seal these weep holes up with anything. Especially Silicone which promotes rust on automobiles. Water does NOT run up wards and it needs a place to flow. As far as the rust, and it is definitely rust, go buy some rust inhibitor treatment and clean it up and apply it.

I will be pulling my door panels off and doing my own investigating soon. I'll keep y'all posted if interested.

TTYS, Ron

post-10350-070120900 1303248071_thumb.jpg

Thx for your post, I have 33 years experience as a truck and RV Technician. My vehicle is a 2011 and the area in question are NOT drains or "weep" holes. They are simple folds in the sheet metal on the leading edge of the inner door skin. As I stated,this area is completely exposed to outside water sources because it is UNDER the door's seal system and therfore water collects in that little crevice and rust develops there. Maybe the 2010 door construction is different, And I wish you luck in solving your problem. My solution works and I highly recommend sealing the area if you have a 2011 sport model....

Edit Carefully look at the pictures I posted, see those small neat SQUARE holes at the door bottoms?? THOSE are your weep/drain holes!

:redcard:

Edited by yogregb

I wouldnt plug them up, Ford just doesnt add holes in the bottom of the doors for nothing..... They are drains. Every automobile door has these..... Everyone go look at other cars and see for your self! If there were no drain holes in doors do you know how heavy they would be after it rained and filled them up? All doors leak water internally, not alot but a little and they need to drain or at least breathe to exchange the moist air out.

Now the Ford engineers designed the Edge with out door seals where you installed them for a reason to keep trapped water out and to let them drive out by air flowing over them during driving. I imagine this may void any rust warranties in this area now since you plugged up a drain hole and blocked out the natural engineered flow of water and air.

I am guessing when the door was assembled some metal shavings got in there from reaming out a hole to attach some inner part of the door mechanism and that is where the rust comes from. If it was true in your case that you determined my Edge would have a rusted door too living up in Wisconsin where they coat the roads heavily with salt all winter long..... No rust in my doors!!!!

I install GPS tracking systems part time (when jobs are available) and I have to drill holes in the roofs to add roof mounted antennas. When I do this if I do not clean up all the small metal shavings there is guaranteed to be small rust spots everywhere after the 1st rain.

I wouldnt plug them up, Ford just doesnt add holes in the bottom of the doors for nothing..... They are drains. Every automobile door has these..... Everyone go look at other cars and see for your self! If there were no drain holes in doors do you know how heavy they would be after it rained and filled them up? All doors leak water internally, not alot but a little and they need to drain or at least breathe to exchange the moist air out.

Now the Ford engineers designed the Edge with out door seals where you installed them for a reason to keep trapped water out and to let them drive out by air flowing over them during driving. I imagine this may void any rust warranties in this area now since you plugged up a drain hole and blocked out the natural engineered flow of water and air.

I am guessing when the door was assembled some metal shavings got in there from reaming out a hole to attach some inner part of the door mechanism and that is where the rust comes from. If it was true in your case that you determined my Edge would have a rusted door too living up in Wisconsin where they coat the roads heavily with salt all winter long..... No rust in my doors!!!!

I install GPS tracking systems part time (when jobs are available) and I have to drill holes in the roofs to add roof mounted antennas. When I do this if I do not clean up all the small metal shavings there is guaranteed to be small rust spots everywhere after the 1st rain.

Tru Dat! :hysterical2: Here's the Ford dealer :redcard:

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem on the rear doors of my '11 Limited. I showed it to the local dealership and presented them with an estimate from a shop to repair and rectify the issue. Ford will be covering all the cost for me. But I think I'm going to look into the weatherstrip solution similar too YOGREGB.

- YOGREGB - do you have a source for the weatherstrips you installed? (also a better picture as to how you've attached the weatherstrip to the door / rocker ?)

I have the same problem on the rear doors of my '11 Limited. I showed it to the local dealership and presented them with an estimate from a shop to repair and rectify the issue. Ford will be covering all the cost for me. But I think I'm going to look into the weatherstrip solution similar too YOGREGB.

- YOGREGB - do you have a source for the weatherstrips you installed? (also a better picture as to how you've attached the weatherstrip to the door / rocker ?)

Shantz,

what did your bodyshop say was the cause? Did they take the door apart and see where it was coming from or have they seen this issue and they just know the fix? Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Well? Has anyone solved the mystery rust inside the doors yet? I have a 2010 that is doing that on the rear doors and I have to agree that something inside the door has rust on it and is running down to the bottom. I asked my dealer about it and they don't know what the hells going on? They were just going to spray some kind of rust protection up in the drain holes but I don't think thats the cure all? Getting them to take the door panels off would be like pulling teeth, so I may need to get a little rough with them before it's out of warranty.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up on a possible design flaw,I hand washed my 2008 Edge this summer, about 3 hours later I pulled it in the garage to change the oil. After I jacked up the front of the car I noticed 3" puddles of water in front of the rear wheels, it came out of the ends of the rocker panels. I see this as a potential serious rust problem. I'm going to do an inspection of the rocker panels and possibly create some drain holes.

Just a heads up on a possible design flaw,I hand washed my 2008 Edge this summer, about 3 hours later I pulled it in the garage to change the oil. After I jacked up the front of the car I noticed 3" puddles of water in front of the rear wheels, it came out of the ends of the rocker panels. I see this as a potential serious rust problem. I'm going to do an inspection of the rocker panels and possibly create some drain holes.

That's not too comforting...

Let us know what you end up finding/doing.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, My wife has an '09 Edge Ltd and she found these same spots on her liftgate and other areas. The service manager and the dealer himself looked at it and said that it was not rust and that it came from parking under something!

Well my wife doesn't park under anything except trees and the garage roof! But, her brother is an engineer for Ford and here is the story...

Back in 2001 some higher up yuckity yuck thought that this particular brake pad was the best pad ever and ordered that this pad be used on all vehicles when it was possible. Well, the brake dust is the cause of these rusty looking spots. Why is it not happening on all vehicles?...when it was possible and the fact that this guy has since been canned.

The dealers all know about it but no one wants to be the guy that starts a brake pad replacement under warranty avalanch. Since it is not safety related it will not shoiw as a recall. I am not sure if a tech bulletin exists, probably not.

Cheers

Edited by kurtismayfield

• 8 months later...

As per my contacts at Ford,

The iron deposits in the lower corners of the doors are a result of the installation of the door components after being painted;

I'd guess that the doors are painted (inners at least) and then when the door components are installed, the screws 'cut' threads into the sheet metal and the subsequent filings drop into the lower of the door.

I ordered some IronX from http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html,

sprayed into the holes, agitated with an old toothbrush, and then rinsed. It's been over 6 months now and no signs of contamination have returned.

Seems to be pretty common. My dad's Edge showed the same problem, and we were able to clean it up as well.

I definitely did not want my doors stripped and re-painted either.

• Like 2