2011 Edge Sport rust spots on front doors

daconfusion

I am planning on taking my Edge in to the dealer to have a look at tiny rust spots noticed at the bottom of the front driver and passenger doors.

The manager was not in, but one of the other body shop service reps said they will have to take the door panels off to search for the rust.

I dont really want them to start taking a new car apart...

What are my options? I guess I will have to let them do their damage...Will post pictures if I get time.

What colour is your car? Are the spots small and yellow or red in colour? What you may have is fallout. It's particularly noticeable on white cars. You need a metallic remover like IronX. I can provide a link if that's what you think your issue is. This stuff is extremely safe for paint and melts the metal off the surface. You spray it on and it turns purple where the metal is and then you powerwash it off. Let me know if I can help if that's your issue.

Wait, so rust is ok?

Is this common with domestic vehicles? I have never had to deal with rust, especially on a brand new car.

How does the dealer deal with this problem? I am thinking if they find real rust, that they must replace the doors entirely or swap me for another vehicle...

It's not rust - it's surface contamination on top of the paint. If it was rust then it would bubble under the paint.

Wait, so rust is ok?

Is this common with domestic vehicles? I have never had to deal with rust, especially on a brand new car.

How does the dealer deal with this problem? I am thinking if they find real rust, that they must replace the doors entirely or swap me for another vehicle...

Like others have stated it probably is rail dust. Rail dust has been a problem for years, I had something similar on a 2003 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, If you notice cars on rail cars now, most have a white plastic looking cover to protect them. Looks worst then it actually is, a "good" detailing or body shop should be able to clean it up without any problem. Let your dealer take care of it, as it should not be there.

Edited by curlysir

Ok sorry for getting defensive. I was just a little annoyed because it is my first new car purchase, and also my first domestic.

I have been so busy with work I havent really gotten time to sit down and poke at the deposits. The weather has been really bad so my car is covered in dirt.

I should have some time to wash it this weekend. If you can ignore the dirt, I have a few pictures:

Front driver side:

IMG_0183.jpg

Front passenger side:

IMG_0181.jpg

Note, looked at rear driver/passenger doors, no "rust or rail dust" found.

This obviously floating down from somewhere else. Rust doesnt do that this early. So it must be rail dust.

I had just assumed the robotic painter had taken a crap when it was finishing this car's door, but that is highly unlikely. The rust is not structural, and I really hope Ford doesnt have low quality finish procedures. The dealer's body shop had said they are interested in taking the door panels apart to track where this crud is coming from. I dont really want someone to take a new car apart like that. Those panels never go back on without starting to creak or rattle.

Car just hit 1k miles. Garage kept when not at work. Please let me know your opinions. I will follow up with dealer when I get some time.

Wow galvanized steel and paint...I really have some crappy luck.

Obviously that is not a structural issue...do you think I have good reason to fear that more critical components are suspected to corrode as time goes on?

I am going to have to take a half day from work and show this mess to the dealer's body shop. Sigh...

I will try and update you guys with any new info.

• 3 weeks later...

Just took delivery of a 2011 Limited White Platinum this week. Yesterday I noticed same "rusty" spots at the bottom front corner of the front doors (exactly same location as described). No spots whatsoever on back doors.

Spots not as solid as shown on your pictures, but still very noticeable with shades of rusty orange. Will take pictures and send to dealer. Too much of a coincidence in my opinion.

I have just ordered a new Edge and my dealer says that they have had no issues like this that he knows of. I have bought several vehicles from this sales person over the years and he has steered me away from some potential pitfalls on certain vehicles so I believe him. However, it could be a fairly new issue. With that said, the flange that KLC pointed out will collect the rusty flowdown from somewhere in the door but should not be rusting itself. Between the e-coating process, and the paint, I find it hard to believe that it is the sheetmetal rusting. I wonder if there is some piece of hardware in the door that was not protected and this is the result? Go onto the lot, look at some of the vehicles they have, find one that has this issue and let them tear that vehicle apart. Once these doors come apart, unless they use new fasteners, you are inviting squeaks/rattles, and air infiltration. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Dave

There are a few things inside the door that may be getting wet. You likely don't have a good seal between your door and window. I've noticed a few times that it looked like I had water coming out of that exact spot. I had my Edge Rustproofed with the oil spray just a couple of weeks after I picked it up, so I don't see any rust, but may have if I didn't do that. The rust could be coming from your speakers. I've seen speakers in older cars that were almost rotted through they had rusted so bad!

I would worry more about the rust then the potential rattle. Take those doors apart to verify what it is. It may be nothing. Perhaps even iron dust that ran down the windows into the door and it has nothing to do with the Edge. You'll never know until you take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up our new Edge SEL (Platinum Metallic) last week and it did not have any of the rust you described. I looked at several on the lot and none had that in the doors. When we took it into have it rustproofed, the guy said that he had seen a couple with the rust spots but it is coming from the hardware vs. the sheetmetal. While that still would be a bit bothersome, he said that the rustproofing would stop it in it's tracks if it tried to spread. My opinion, if I see that start to show up on my vehicle, I would take at least one door apart and see what is going on. If you use new attachment hardware and make sure the protective film is in place, you should not get any air infiltration or squeaks\rattles. These vehicles are just too expensive to have rust eating away at their insides. Rust never sleeps and one can only contain it once it starts.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

(3/31/2011) I wrote to Ford Motor Co a few weeks back about having mud flaps for the front wheels (after market does not have them). I noticed an excess buildup of road "stuff" on the inside of the door (and quarter panel) in the lower forward corner area of the door (driver and passenger). Mud flaps would help in this area. I am fortunate, I live in the South, a northern salty environment would rust out these doors in this area.

As far as I can tell , all 2011 are going to have this issue. It is a poor design but easily fixed. I sealed mine with clear silicone problem solved I then added a thin 1 inch wide rubber seal to cover the ugly door sheet metal, again an easy fix.. when I did that recent Ford research event recently I sure pointed out this issue to engineers and they took pics...I then told them how I was going to fix it... I will post pics later...... On a similar note I have also addressed the issue of water and dirt easily entering and soiling that entry sill/runner area, again with the use of an additional seal under the doors...pics to follow....

myfordedgesport013.jpg

As far as I can tell , all 2011 are going to have this issue. It is a poor design but easily fixed. I sealed mine with clear silicone problem solved I then added a thin 1 inch wide rubber seal to cover the ugly door sheet metal, again an easy fix.. when I did that recent Ford research event recently I sure pointed out this issue to engineers and they took pics...I then told them how I was going to fix it... I will post pics later...... On a similar note I have also addressed the issue of water and dirt easily entering and soiling that entry sill/runner area, again with the use of an additional seal under the doors...pics to follow....

myfordedgesport013.jpg

I am interested in seeing what you did as I just noticed what appears to be some rust in my passenger rear door. I had it undercoated, but it either ran out on top of the undercoating or it is mixed with the undercoating. I am going to check it out better this weekend. Where did you put the silicone to prevent this and where is it coming from? Thanks

Dave

I am interested in seeing what you did as I just noticed what appears to be some rust in my passenger rear door. I had it undercoated, but it either ran out on top of the undercoating or it is mixed with the undercoating. I am going to check it out better this weekend. Where did you put the silicone to prevent this and where is it coming from? Thanks

Dave

As I posted, that area is not sealed or protected from the elements,ie driving in the rain or washing etc... You'll see when I can get some pics up

Edited by yogregb