Chrome clad rims = chrome clad junk

shiggins

Just took delivery of our new 2011 Limited with the standard 18" "chrome clad" rims.

:soapbox: :soapbox:

Let me first state that I've always thought that chrome rims were the USA's gift to tacky automobile add ons....basically our version of fart can mufflers......wait though, didn't we invent the fake hood scoop too?

Anyway, definitely not something I wanted on a vehicle, but at least the spoke design was tolerable versus the 20" optional rims.

So anyway, my wife and I weren't excited about them to begin with, but little did I realize until I got it home that they were nothing but basically plastic chrome covered hubcaps over aluminum rims. WTF? On a $40k vehicle this is considered acceptable?

This is my first US manufacturer car since a used 1986 Buick back in college so I guess I'm a bit naive to the tacky cheap tricks that are now used for "upscale" bling on premium trim levels. Granted, after two days of ownership I love the Edge, how it drives, My Touch, and most everything else about it, but it just shocks me that I now have a $40k vehicle with glorified tacky chrome plastic hubcaps stuck on rims. I've been researching Edges for a couple years now and some how managed to completely miss the fact that premium "chrome clad" rims meant that Ford bonds on a cheap plastic chrome hubcap. To me, no use of plastic on rims would be the premium version but I guess I'm obviously behind the times. Shame on me I guess.

I haven't decided if I'll point it out to my wife or let her live in blissful ignorance in thinking it's all metal.

Well, the good news is they'll likely be regulated to winter tire duty next winter with a new set of tasteful non "chrome clad" aluminum rims and summer tires for the non snow months.

On a side note, now if I could just find some nice after market quality carpet floor mats to replace the stock ones that don't protect the carpets as much as I'd like.........anyone have any suggestions?

When done correctly chrome clad wheels are lighter and more durable than chrome plated steel wheels because they use aluminum wheels and they don't pit over time. Unfortunately it's a relatively new technology and there have been issues with peeling. But it's definitely not a case of cheapness.

I've had the 18" chrome clads on my '07 since new and I haven't any problems with them. As far as cleaning, they've been the easiest wheels to clean; I just use a rag and the same soapy mix I use on the vehicle. No peeling, popping or anything...maybe I've been too easy on them...no, that can't be it.

• Like 1

When done correctly chrome clad wheels are lighter and more durable than chrome plated steel wheels because they use aluminum wheels and they don't pit over time. Unfortunately it's a relatively new technology and there have been issues with peeling. But it's definitely not a case of cheapness.

"new technology".....?? Ford and other manufacturers have been doing this for fifteen years now.

If you think about the functions/attributes of a wheel:

1. Help the tire hold up the car.

2. Look good

3. Look good for a long time

4. Lightweight

The chrome-clad wheel can do all of those things equal to or better than a pure chrome wheel, while costing significantly less.

Time to join the 21st century and realize that it's all in your head, just because you think it's an inferior technology doesn't mean it is.

FYI, I do believe that the 2007 Edge was Ford's first use of a chrome-clad wheel. I remember the 2006 Zephyr came out with a real chrome wheel, and there were huge warranty issues with stains, chips and such.

I had some real chrome plated aluminum wheels on my old 1993 Ford Probe GT. I got rid of the car in 2000 but by that time the chrome was peeling off of them very badly. My theory is that the cladding does not corrode or oxidize as chrome plated aluminum would. so hey, if its more durable then I'm all for it.

FYI, I do believe that the 2007 Edge was Ford's first use of a chrome-clad wheel. I remember the 2006 Zephyr came out with a real chrome wheel, and there were huge warranty issues with stains, chips and such.

I could be mistaken, but I believe they may have been on the 2006 Explorers and maybe even F150. I recall looking at these on a dealer's lot prior to buying my Edge in 2006 (and prior to any Edges being on the lot; but those could have been early release 2007 models.)

I could be mistaken, but I believe they may have been on the 2006 Explorers and maybe even F150. I recall looking at these on a dealer's lot prior to buying my Edge in 2006 (and prior to any Edges being on the lot; but those could have been early release 2007 models.)

Yeah, it's just plastic over aluminum, which my '06 Explorer Limited has, but after 5 + years, they still look like brand new ! No peeling,

pitting, discoloration, absolutely NOTHING wrong with them.

Edited by JOEHIO

I didn't realize what "chrome-clad" meant until I got my 11 MKX home. I was disappointed to say the least when I found out it meant "hubcaps". I guess I should have asked first.

I applied Powerlock sealant on them right away last November hoping to keep them nice over the Minnesota winter. Just last weekend while using Poorboys S&W all over to get the winter grime off I noticed that the "chrome" (krome?) looks stained with darker brown/gray radial streaks already. Grrr.

I found real chrome wheels online that look similar to what is on the MKX for about $265 per wheel, and it made me wonder how much the replacement plastic krome-klad OEM hubcaps cost. has anyone priced them?

The 18" chrome clad wheels cost around $800.00 per wheel from Ford. I brushed up next to a storm drain while parking my 2011 edge within a month of owning it. I have not replaced it yet, too expensive in my book. If the wheel would have been solid metal, I could have had it repaired by one of the local shops in town.

Everyone has commented on how much they like the look of the chrome clad wheels on my 2011, but I prefer the painted aluminum wheels on my 2008. Easier to keep clean in my opinion and I never got a scratch on them.

Edited by radicon

I didn't realize what "chrome-clad" meant until I got my 11 MKX home. I was disappointed to say the least when I found out it meant "hubcaps". I guess I should have asked first.

I applied Powerlock sealant on them right away last November hoping to keep them nice over the Minnesota winter. Just last weekend while using Poorboys S&W all over to get the winter grime off I noticed that the "chrome" (krome?) looks stained with darker brown/gray radial streaks already. Grrr.

I found real chrome wheels online that look similar to what is on the MKX for about $265 per wheel, and it made me wonder how much the replacement plastic krome-klad OEM hubcaps cost. has anyone priced them?

I have had the same stains on my MKX too. P21s metal soap polish did not get rid of them. It took Collinite Metal polish and a mf to do it.

I had the chrome clad on my 2008 Edge and again now on my 2011 Edge. I can tell you that you should not allow brake dust to sit on them too long. I went a couple months without washing it and the brake dust ate away at the chrome coating. I will not let the 2011 go unwashed for that long this time.

I don't mind the chrome clad but also think a polished aluminum option would have been nice too. Polished aluminum doesn't have the same bling factor but still looks nicer than painted aluminum. By the way, I opted for the 20" painted aluminum rims on my 2011 Explorer because I like the design over the 20" Polished aluminum rims. Plus they come standard on the Limited anyway.

Also, think of chrome clad rim like a women with breast impants, they look great and you think they are real until you touch them. :-)

• 1 month later...

The 18" chrome clad wheels cost around $800.00 per wheel from Ford. I brushed up next to a storm drain while parking my 2011 edge within a month of owning it. I have not replaced it yet, too expensive in my book. If the wheel would have been solid metal, I could have had it repaired by one of the local shops in town.

Everyone has commented on how much they like the look of the chrome clad wheels on my 2011, but I prefer the painted aluminum wheels on my 2008. Easier to keep clean in my opinion and I never got a scratch on them.

I have a 18''x 8 10 spoke chrome clading Great condition off of a 2011 Ford Edge let me know if that one works heres my e-mail Ami_2L84u2@yahoo.com put edge rim in the subject line...