Ecoboost V6 rumor

LilCe98

I had a discussion with a coworker today about the new Ford Edge. He received one as a rental and I was giving him my impressions about it since I had rented one a few weeks back. He mentioned that he had a friend that works as a Ford tech and he was excited about the 2012 Edge receiving Ecoboost engine from the SHO/F150. I told him its not the V6 from the SHO but the turbo I4. We continued going back and forth with him saying its going to be a special model and me saying his friend is a fool lol.

I searched online and couldn't find any info about the Edge receiving the EcoV6 even though that would be awesome. Has anyone heard of this rumor and has any facts?

Thanks

Everything that I've heard and read about, indicate tha it will be the I4. Maybe Ford is planning tom offer the V6 as an option for the Edge Sport ........................now wouldn't that be special ! :happy feet:

No, that would suck, because my impatience made me get one now, and if that one comes out I will be pissed! :angry2:

Although I would love to see the EcoBoost V6 in the Edge, Ford most likely will not do it based on their CAFE allowances. Maybe if they sell a TON of Foci (Focuses) and Fiestas they could. But I would think they like to reserve that for other cars.

I understand that EcoBoost is inherently efficient, but it will still be more gas hungry than anything in an Edge right now.

My belief is that Ford's next move with these engines would be Direct Injection.

Although I would love to see the EcoBoost V6 in the Edge, Ford most likely will not do it based on their CAFE allowances. Maybe if they sell a TON of Foci (Focuses) and Fiestas they could. But I would think they like to reserve that for other cars.

I understand that EcoBoost is inherently efficient, but it will still be more gas hungry than anything in an Edge right now.

My belief is that Ford's next move with these engines would be Direct Injection.

Agree 100% .. The ecoboost 3.5L in the F150 gets worse milage than the 3.7L. I would love to have the extra torque but Im sure it would end up costing me speeding tickets and tires. A direct injected 3.7L making 340hp and over 300f/lbs torque would be awsome. Or even with the same power if it matched the NA 2WD 3.5L fuel economy numbers I would be very happy.

Edited by Fingernip
  • Like 1

So there is an update on the rumor and my conversation. Turns out that my coworker misunderstood his friend. His friend was talking about the Flex not the Edge. Basically i was wrong to call my coworkers friend the fool when I should've been calling my coworker the fool lol. I would be excited if Ford did something like the Roush Edge they did a while ago.

I frequent Autoblog daily. Mainly because its more convenient to get all the new in one place than going to MT, then Car and Driver etc

Edited by LilCe98

my understanding is that ecoboost v 6 is not good for the edge because the whole front sub structure is not beefy enough to support it, or the stress that is caused by it rather. I was told that the whole front of the flex had to be re engineered to support the stress that is caused by that motors torque.

Edited by Edgieguy