2011 Ford Edge Limited Alignment

Totally_Ripped

We purchased our 2011 Ford Edge Limited about 2 weeks ago and my only complaint is that it pulls to the right. The first time we brought it to the dealer with this complaint, they swapped the front wheels but it still pulled to the right. The second time, they actually aligned the vehicle but it still pulled to the right. The third time, they swapped the wheels and tires from another brand new Edge Limited and it still pulled to the right. The fourth time, they aligned it again and guess what, it still pulls to the right. The General Manager of the Dealership is now involved and a Ford Engineer will be coming out next week, hopefully with some answers. Since all the numbers are in spec and I have copies to prove it, we have no idea what is causing this pull.

Has anyone else had this problem that knows the secret code to fix it?

Thanks,

TR

Edited by Totally_Ripped

We purchased our 2011 Ford Edge Limited about 2 weeks ago and my only complaint is that it pulls to the right. The first time we brought it to the dealer with this complaint, they swapped the front wheels but it still pulled to the right. The second time, they actually aligned the vehicle but it still pulled to the right. The third time, they swapped the wheels and tires from another brand new Edge Limited and it still pulled to the right. The fourth time, they aligned it again and guess what, it still pulls to the right. The General Manager of the Dealership is now involved and a Ford Engineer will be coming out next week, hopefully with some answers. Since all the numbers are in spec and I have copies to prove it, we have no idea what is causing this pull.

Thanks,

TR

Yes, I had the pull to the right problem. There is a thread here somewhere about it. They finally fixed mine but I never got a straight answer about what they did, took 2 trips to the dealership and they tried swapping tires but that didn't fix mine either. There was a TSB for the earlier Edges for this problem, but I couldn't find one for the 2011 models. It was after a Ford Engineer looked at and rode in mine that they finally fixed it. Kinda may me mad when they would not really tell what they did other then aligned the front end. But they did fix it so keep after them.

Let us know if they fix the problem and what they did.

Edited by curlysir

Yes, I had the pull to the right problem. There is a thread here somewhere about it. They finally fixed mine but I never got a straight answer about what they did, took 2 trips to the dealership and they tried swapping tires but that didn't fix mine either. There was a TSB for the earlier Edges for this problem, but I couldn't find one for the 2011 models. It was after a Ford Engineer looked at and rode in mine that they finally fixed it. Kinda may me mad when they would not really tell what they did other then aligned the front end. But they did fix it so keep after them.

Curlysir,

Would you mind telling me what Dealership fixed it? That way if our Ford Engineer has no idea what to do, perhaps he could call your Dealership and save some us some time. We're out in North Texas and our Edge came from Arlington. I wonder where yours came from??

Thanks,

TR

We have the 20's with the Pirelli's.

II have a 2011 Sport. Reported this problem and was told that it was a recall. Maybe he meant service bulletan? Anyway, it was some sub assembley that was wrong, its going back on cause its still pulling right.

So maybe this is isolated to the larger wheels? I haven't really noticed pulling with my 18's, but I will keep an eye out.

Is it really noticeable? Any estimate on how many feet you could go before hitting the curb?

I found the TSB!!! See attached.

tsb10-24-08 (Drift_Pull to the Right).pdf

Some link assemblies were machined wrong which was the main culprit for all these bearing failures with as little as 16,000 miles on the odo. Improperly machined link faces which is what the bearing hub assembly is bolted to, can also cause alignment issues. I thought this problem was taken care of in '08 but apparently "quality is job# 2" or they were manufactured on either Monday or Friday afternoon.

I found the TSB!!! See attached.

Thanks I will take that to the dealer with me next time. We did not have a pleasant conversation about this matter the last time it was in and when I got home they had actually put more air in the right tire to try and offset the pull. I said mine was fixed but I really should have said it was better. It still has a slight pull but I think most of it is that I have got used to it pulling. This TSB is very much is line with the previous TSB that I remember. The dealer I bought from is in Carollton and I have very mixed feeling about the service department, their radio guy seems to be very good.

And I also have the 20" wheels with Pirelli's

I believe i have this problem as well. I thought it was just the slant in the road for a while but eventually decided to try driving on the wrong side of the road to test it and it tracked dead straight rather than pulling left. Also i hear chirping during right turns if I'm doing anything but a crawl. Does not occur in left turns at any speed.

Take a good look at your tires outer edge. At 5200 miles I'm noticing cupping, and that's directly related to this suspension problem / TSB. I'll be bringing this up with the dealer.

In case you're not familiar with what cupping is, seethes links.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5509983_causes-cupping-tires.html

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

Edited by Edgieguy

Thanks,

TR

Did you ever get yours fixed?

I had to take my F 150 in for a recall and I talked to the dealer near where I live and they knew about the new TSB for the Edge pulling. I may take it to them instead of where I purchased it. They did not have the Edge like I wanted when I bought and I got impatient and bought one from a dealer who had it in stock. Only problem it is 100 miles from my house. I wouldn't mine the drive if the dealer service department had a little better attitude, Almost like they are doing me a favor by working on my vehicle.

Did you ever get yours fixed?

I had to take my F 150 in for a recall and I talked to the dealer near where I live and they knew about the new TSB for the Edge pulling. I may take it to them instead of where I purchased it. They did not have the Edge like I wanted when I bought and I got impatient and bought one from a dealer who had it in stock. Only problem it is 100 miles from my house. I wouldn't mine the drive if the dealer service department had a little better attitude, Almost like they are doing me a favor by working on my vehicle.

They've aligned it 6 times so far and although everything is in spec, it still drifts to the right. The General Manager of my Ford Dealership is really great though and had a Ford Engineer come out on Friday. He spent the day working on it with 2 Master Techs. Apparently the TSB is very time consuming because it moves the sub-assembly 1mm at a time, then they have to torque the bolts, re-align it and then drive it. It's getting better, but it still drifts to the right. They are bringing a new Edge to my house next Tuesday so they can take mine back to the shop and continue working on it with the Ford Engineer until it's perfect. I must say that the General Manager has made the experience as good as it can be although it's still drifting to the right, I know they will get it fixed. Also, every time I get my car back they top it off with gas. :-) I guess it's a small price for our hassle, but I think I've only put gas in it myself twice.

Everytime I bring it in, they give me a different 2011 Edge to drive and all but 1 of them drifts to the right. The only 1 that drove correctly had the 18" wheels and all of the other ones had 20's. It's not just me either, I can reproduce it and so can everyone else that drives them.

I wonder if any of the folks on here with 2011's drive straight without having to hang onto the wheel?

TR

They've aligned it 6 times so far and although everything is in spec, it still drifts to the right. The General Manager of my Ford Dealership is really great though and had a Ford Engineer come out on Friday. He spent the day working on it with 2 Master Techs. Apparently the TSB is very time consuming because it moves the sub-assembly 1mm at a time, then they have to torque the bolts, re-align it and then drive it. It's getting better, but it still drifts to the right. They are bringing a new Edge to my house next Tuesday so they can take mine back to the shop and continue working on it with the Ford Engineer until it's perfect. I must say that the General Manager has made the experience as good as it can be although it's still drifting to the right, I know they will get it fixed. Also, every time I get my car back they top it off with gas. :-) I guess it's a small price for our hassle, but I think I've only put gas in it myself twice.

Everytime I bring it in, they give me a different 2011 Edge to drive and all but 1 of them drifts to the right. The only 1 that drove correctly had the 18" wheels and all of the other ones had 20's. It's not just me either, I can reproduce it and so can everyone else that drives them.

I wonder if any of the folks on here with 2011's drive straight without having to hang onto the wheel?

TR

I think the wide low profile tires cause some of this issue. I had the same problems with my 2007 Mazda CX-9 with 20" wheels. The tread design also had some influence. Stock Bridgestone were the worst, Goodyear Eagle GA a bit better, Yokohama Prada SpecX seemed the best. My Edge with 18" wheels has no issues.

I think the wide low profile tires cause some of this issue. I had the same problems with my 2007 Mazda CX-9 with 20" wheels. The tread design also had some influence. Stock Bridgestone were the worst, Goodyear Eagle GA a bit better, Yokohama Prada SpecX seemed the best. My Edge with 18" wheels has no issues.

I'm lucky to report that I have no alignment or pulling issues with my 18s as well. (stock Michellin)

Yeah I dont think so because all cars that share this type of tire would have the same issues.

Like one of the past posters says that Ford does know about this issue and is trying to correct it.

It's looking like it may have more to do with the TIRE than the wheels. They put Pirelli's on these 20" wheels from the factory and everyone with the 18's gets the Michelin’s. They still have my car and have been searching for a solution all day Tuesday. The General Manager drove 4 other Edge's on Tuesday and every one of them with the 20's pulls to the right. All the ones with 18's track straight ahead. I should know more today, but it's possible that the Pirelli's are causing all this work.

Edited by Totally_Ripped

It's looking like it may have more to do with the TIRE than the wheels. They put Pirelli's on these 20" wheels from the factory and everyone with the 18's gets the Michelin's. They still have my car and have been searching for a solution all day Tuesday. The General Manager drove 4 other Edge's on Tuesday and every one of them with the 20's pulls to the right. All the ones with 18's track straight ahead. I should know more today, but it's possible that the Pirelli's are causing all this work.

Ford has had tire issues in the past with some suppliers. It would be interesting to know if other cars with this tire as stock are having similar issues.