Fuel Economy / Efficiency / Mileage Rating

Kappy

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum so a big what's up & fist bump to all!

Now, down to business. I just bought my Ford edge a few weeks ago and have some concerns about the fuel efficiency rating. I have a 2011 AWG Limited and I love the looks and every aspect...except what I've seen so far in fuel efficiency. When I bought it, I accepted the rated fuel efficiency 18 city / 25 hwy assuing I'd get an average of around 22 mpg. I also rented one (a FWD, however) that got right around 21-22 mpg.

However, since I've had my edge, it's been registering 13.5 MPG on the computer. :o Now, I realize it's BRAND new...it only has 450 miles on it and I'm only on the second tank but this seems waaay low! I forgot to reset the trip meter at last fill up so I wont be able to manually calculate the actual mpg until the next fill up, but I hear the computer is pretty accurate in most cases so this 13-14mpg that it's been showing concerns me.

FYI, my driving pattern is pretty normal (i.e. I don't drive like grandma, but I'm not auditioning for a role in fast & furious either) and I've been about 60% hwy and 40% city so far. Is my Edge a lemon in terms of fuel efficiency? :headscratch: Have others experienced 13-14 mpg in the first couple of tanks? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum so a big what's up & fist bump to all!

Now, down to business. I just bought my Ford edge a few weeks ago and have some concerns about the fuel efficiency rating. I have a 2011 AWG Limited and I love the looks and every aspect...except what I've seen so far in fuel efficiency. When I bought it, I accepted the rated fuel efficiency 18 city / 25 hwy assuing I'd get an average of around 22 mpg. I also rented one (a FWD, however) that got right around 21-22 mpg.

However, since I've had my edge, it's been registering 13.5 MPG on the computer. :o Now, I realize it's BRAND new...it only has 450 miles on it and I'm only on the second tank but this seems waaay low! I forgot to reset the trip meter at last fill up so I wont be able to manually calculate the actual mpg until the next fill up, but I hear the computer is pretty accurate in most cases so this 13-14mpg that it's been showing concerns me.

FYI, my driving pattern is pretty normal (i.e. I don't drive like grandma, but I'm not auditioning for a role in fast & furious either) and I've been about 60% hwy and 40% city so far. Is my Edge a lemon in terms of fuel efficiency? :headscratch: Have others experienced 13-14 mpg in the first couple of tanks? Is there something I'm missing?

Did you reset the computer avg mpg? What did you get on your previous vehicle compared to the EPA estimate? It should improve over time but that sounds really low. Give it one or two tanks. You might also try a different gas station just to be safe.

Did you reset the computer avg mpg? What did you get on your previous vehicle compared to the EPA estimate? It should improve over time but that sounds really low. Give it one or two tanks. You might also try a different gas station just to be safe.

Yes, I reset it shortly after I filled up. Also I bought it with 8-ish miles on the odometer (I put 5 of of those 8 on during a test drive), so it's pretty much only been driven by me.

My avg mpg was 20.4 the first couple weeks I had my Edge. Now that im on about week 4-5 and im not babying it anymore, my avg mileage is about 16.. Lighter wheels are sounding real nice about now, although my 22" stockers are the only reason my car gets looks.

OP: If you said your Edge is AWD.. then 13-14mpg is about right. Thats the #1 reason i wouldnt touch AWD when i was shopping. Mileage, and 300-400 lb extra weight. Incidentally, thats also the reason i was able to give up on my want for a sunroof.. Less weight, and lower center of gravity. It turned out well for me given some of the sunroof problem posts I read around here also. I'd just assume not even have to deal with it.

Edited by jackson5

I have an '11 Sport AWD. I do mostly in town driving, but have had it on the highway for a few small couple-hour road trips. I always reset the A mileage thing when I refill/top off my tank, and the B mileage I reset when I purchased the car and have not reset it since. I have 4106 miles on the vehicle since November 15 when I bought it. In that time, the avg MPG listed on my B setting is 13.3 mpg. I have currently have 12 on my A odometer with 189 miles since fill up. I definitely don't baby the thing anymore, but I don't drive it really hard most of the time either. 13.3 is not that good, but heck if I was worried about gas mileage, or had to commute to work, I wouldn't have bought an AWD crossover. I still love my Edge.

I have an '11 Sport AWD. I do mostly in town driving, but have had it on the highway for a few small couple-hour road trips. I always reset the A mileage thing when I refill/top off my tank, and the B mileage I reset when I purchased the car and have not reset it since. I have 4106 miles on the vehicle since November 15 when I bought it. In that time, the avg MPG listed on my B setting is 13.3 mpg. I have currently have 12 on my A odometer with 189 miles since fill up. I definitely don't baby the thing anymore, but I don't drive it really hard most of the time either. 13.3 is not that good, but heck if I was worried about gas mileage, or had to commute to work, I wouldn't have bought an AWD crossover. I still love my Edge.

im just glad my numbers arent way off then.. i guess 16mpg avg is about right for a FWD Edge with 22" rims.. i bet i could get 20mpg changing the rims to the 27 lb ones instead of these 45-50 lb ones.

Hi, I am the proud owner of an '11 Edge Limited AWD w/20" wheels,current mileage is 5400+- purchased mid April. Initially the mpg's was low but shortly after a few fill ups I am consistently between 22 and 24 mpg. Most of my driving is highway but I find if I am driving over 65 mph the mpg's drop. So with the number of miles I drive p/day I try to stay around 65 mph to get the most mpg's. I absolutely love my Edge!!!

Our Sport, AWD, with mixed driving avg's around 17mpg. If we drive more expressway it's up over 20. I'd give it a few tanks and try different stations to make sure you're not getting a higher level of ethenol in your gas = worse mileage. 13 seems a bit low but it wouldn't qualify for a lemon law.

• 4 weeks later...

2010 Edge Limited FWD with 25,500 miles. I just bought this unit used and an getting through my first tank of fuel. I have been noticing the MPG fluctuating depending on my driving conditions. This electronic reading is new to me and interesting (my previous car had no electronic mpg report output). I have reset this reading during operation and once I come to a stop. I drive mostly highway miles to and from work. About 12 of those miles are city and 32 are hwy. I have been watching the computer read anywhere from 18mpg (during stop and go or when we punch the engine to see how it performs) to 29.2 mpg (driving at a steady hwy speed of 60-70 mph manually or with cruise set). I am also doing my own manual calculations and will repost the average overall once I have more time/use. I know that when I went shopping for new or used that most units had varying mpg reading on the computer. I have to admit at first it was alarming because I was not very aware of the system. You get into a brand new Edge and the MPG read AVG MPG at 13.1 and it's a very uncomfortable thing to see. Especially when fuel is so high and my previous car was more than double this. But to my surprise, I am seeing a difference in the computer systems readings and so I am anxious to get my manual calculations to match up to the system. Overall I feel if I lose a few mpg's for the ride, comfort, power and space .... well, I may get over it. On the other hand if I get what I have been getting out of my previous car, with all the extras, then I got myself a screamin deal. I have another friend who is also driving a 2010 AWD Edge and she is averaging near 30 MPG. Not allot of help to this post. Just wanted to share info. I am really enjoying this ride!!!

Wow, hope your mileage has gone up. My 3.7 Sport Awd is returning 20.4 religiously with the same highway city split. I drove all the speed limits once for an entire tank of gas, no less no more than what was posted. Got 24.3. I'm yet to take a full on highway cruise control road trip, but at least I know where I'd like to be economy wise. Check your tire pressures too. For what it's worth, I'm running a K&N drop in filter too.

Edited by Edgieguy

I'm driving a 2011 Edge Limited with 18 wheels. In NJ, the heat's been heavy and I have been using the AC constantly. Thus far, the car has been averaging near 21 mpg. Mixed Highway and City. I did reset the computer around 3000 miles. Currently, I'm almost at 5000 miles.

Have been driving a 2007 FWD Edge (47,000 mi. now) for about 3 months now. I average about 120-135 miles per day, with a mix of about 75% in-town and 25% highway. Averaging 20.5 mpg. Have not burned a whole tank on highway only, nor or in-town only, so my average has not really changed since I've had the car. Previous vehicle with identical driving mix: 2002 Mazda Millenia, 2.5 V6 ending in May 2011 with 244,000 miles on it. Averaged about 21 mpg with that. All in all I'm pleased with the near identical mpg for a much larger, more comfortable vehicle with more power.

I just posted my experience on another thread.

Could be the way I drive.

My 08 AWD with 50k miles has consistently gotten 13mpg city 24 highway over the 3 years I've owned it. I have checked this manually as well as the on board computer.

My City driving is mostly stop and go.

When you check your City miles, try resetting avarge speed and see what that is. Mine is 15mph. I think that explains my 13mpg.

My three prior vehicles, 2 Explorers V6 and a Excape v6 all got the same City mpg (around 12-13)

My three prior vehicles, 2 Explorers V6 and a Excape v6 all got the same City mpg (around 12-13)

I believe you've shed light on the situation right here (no hard feelings, just an observation).

It's likely a combination of driving habits/tendencies and the driving conditions (roads, elevation changes, on ramps, off ramps, traffic lights, traffic patterns in your area) that you are traversing. If it were only the explorer with low mileage, I wouldn't be overly shocked, but the Escape and Edge should be getting similar (not the same, mind you, especially with AWD coming into play).

Edited by hunter306

FWIW, If I drive like I used to in my mustang, my 2010 AWD Edge gets an average of 17.5mpg. If I baby it, and drive with fuel economy in mind I see about a 1.5mpg improvement to 19mpg.

I don't do enough driving to warrant the extra-easy-on-the-car driving, so I've settled with my 17.5-18.5mpg avg.

First tank 21 mpg, second tank, 17.5 mpg. Second tank was sue to some extra idle time and a bit more city stop and go driving. So last night I filled it up again and today I put in a K&N drop in air filter as well and we will see how it goes. Running stock 18" wheels. Not a big "wheel" kind of chic and I know the larger rims will cause less fuel economy so the stocks are fine with me. Neighbor is getting mid 20's on MPG on their 11 model. So far loving this ride. I know I sacrificed a little fuel economy for this ride but I picked up so much more vehicle and technology that I am very happy with my gently used 2010 Edge.

Question though, you guys got any input on the brand or type of fuel you are using?

Just drove 1,100 miles (Chicago to Wilmington NC) in a 2011 LTD AWD with the 20" wheels 4 passengers full of luggage 70 to 75 MPH with the A/C on and averaged 24 MPG in the flat lands and 23 MPG in the mountains. Just turned 3500 miles on the clock. Overall a nice ride but the sync is a bit buggy. I,m very satisified with the mileage.

First tank 21 mpg, second tank, 17.5 mpg. Second tank was sue to some extra idle time and a bit more city stop and go driving. So last night I filled it up again and today I put in a K&N drop in air filter as well and we will see how it goes. Running stock 18" wheels. Not a big "wheel" kind of chic and I know the larger rims will cause less fuel economy so the stocks are fine with me. Neighbor is getting mid 20's on MPG on their 11 model. So far loving this ride. I know I sacrificed a little fuel economy for this ride but I picked up so much more vehicle and technology that I am very happy with my gently used 2010 Edge.

Question though, you guys got any input on the brand or type of fuel you are using?

Call me crazy, but I've always felt that Exxon and Sunoco works well with the Fords, particularly the Duratec (I know the 3.5 is a different design). I used to have a Ford Contour and it didn't run as well with Shell gas.

Any thoughts on Chevron? What about discounted fuleing location like say Race Trac, Quik Trip and other regional fuel providers? Manual claims to suggest BP fuel but I have not one single BP in my state I don't think.

Most of the different brands actually use the exact same gasoline from a local refiner just with different additives. I wouldn't worry about specific brands or stations unless others in your area have reported specific problems.

I use BP but there's nothing special about it.

I have a sport 2011, im doing about you 12 MPG and 13.5 MPG with a mixed of city and highway , im not hard on it at all , i only have 600 miles on it yet , i hope ill get better sometime , it's not what i was expect , i have bmw with a V8 and im doing a lot better in city

2007 Edge AWD we owned for 3 years, averaged 19-20 MPG. 22 on a long trip. Now we have a 2010 Sport FWD with 22 inch wheels. 7500 miles on it and we are averaging a respectable 21- around town and highway driving. Both have been always delivered consistent, decent MPG and otherwise have been flawless.