Ford Dropped 5th to 23rd

11Sport

Not surpised to see Infotainment/navigation systems as one reason. I don't like to see this being a Ford guy.

http://www.motorauth...exus-mazda-soar

I really think they (car review people) need to rethink the use of the word 'quality'. Too often nowadays, it seems that people will mark a car or manufacturer down for 'quality' when they don't understand or dislike the new features. That really doesn't have to do with Quality. They should call it "ease of use" or something more appropriate.

I really think they (car review people) need to rethink the use of the word 'quality'. Too often nowadays, it seems that people will mark a car or manufacturer down for 'quality' when they don't understand or dislike the new features. That really doesn't have to do with Quality. They should call it "ease of use" or something more appropriate.

Initial complaints would be more accurate.

Ford need to revisit its controls across the board. Even my 07 Edge has confusing controls, from the high beam/low beam stick to the small and to numerious steering wheel buttons bunched too close together. They take your attention away from the road. Other makes do these controls much better. But at least it has buttons, something eliminated with the latest Ford technology.

Edited by Feirstein

Whatever they call it. The crappy Touch system has gotten attention by the masses. It's not just a few complainers on the is forum.

I bet Ford is wishing they never heard of MyFordTouch.

I know I wish I had never heard of it.

I agree, the only way Ford can correct this mess is fix all the 2011's with updated software / hardware NOW.

Of course theyre not going too are they?

This is my last Ford, looking forward to lease end for this 2011 loaded Edge Limited AWD

:rant2:

I agree, the only way Ford can correct this mess is fix all the 2011's with updated software / hardware NOW.

Of course theyre not going too are they?

This is my last Ford, looking forward to lease end for this 2011 loaded Edge Limited AWD

:rant2:

You can't snap your fingers and rewrite a complicated piece of software overnight, which is what you're implying. They screwed up and they're trying to fix it but it will take a few months.

Ford is rewriting it from scratch and it will be backwards compatible. Not sure how much else you can really ask for.

It would be nice if they never had problems but they seem to be doing everything possible to fix it.

• Like 1

You can't snap your fingers and rewrite a complicated piece of software overnight, which is what you're implying. They screwed up and they're trying to fix it but it will take a few months.

Ford is rewriting it from scratch and it will be backwards compatible. Not sure how much else you can really ask for.

It would be nice if they never had problems but they seem to be doing everything possible to fix it.

I wonder what the 2012 Edges will ship with. Do ya t.hink they would actually ship with the old software?

I wonder what the 2012 Edges will ship with. Do ya t.hink they would actually ship with the old software?

Don't think so - Ford seems to be putting the new software into the assembly line first. A Ford Focus owner got a preview version of MFT software at the factory last week and says it fixed all of the rebooting and performance issues and it will be released next month to the public. Not sure if it's the same software as the Edge but I would assume so.

This was a temporary glitch that should be fixed soon once and for all.

Don't think so - Ford seems to be putting the new software into the assembly line first. A Ford Focus owner got a preview version of MFT software at the factory last week and says it fixed all of the rebooting and performance issues and it will be released next month to the public. Not sure if it's the same software as the Edge but I would assume so.

This was a temporary glitch that should be fixed soon once and for all.

I really admire the positive spin you put on everything Kirby but you you have to wonder why Ford are having some reoccuring quality issues. Some from the 2009 and 2010 model years.

To name a few which I'm experiencing that have been mentioned on this forum many times;

The moon-roof slow opening which I'm sure is some under powered, cheap Chinese motor they keep throwing in.

The drivers door out of alignment. This should be an easy one

The paint missing in some areas or even worse the air bubbles on some vehicles

You would think they would fix these silly deficiencies on a monthly basis from complaints etc but no they carry on year after year.

So you see why I'm not holding my breath for the 2012 to come out with the MFT / Sync fixed.......it just isn't going to happen until a complete new model around 2015

It's all about expectations. Today we expect our cars and trucks to be trouble free and are willing to accept nothing less. My 08 Edge Ltd' never had one single service call. Just maintenance, I got rid of it because it was a lease. Literally the best car I ever owned. My '11 Edge Ltd. with a build date of 1/24/11 is beautiful indeed. The issue is like so many others have said is the MFT. Though well intentioned, the system is just not ready for prime time. I used to think that maybe these were just isolated incidents. My Edge was delivered in February, no MFT issues for the first few months. Then it started - MFT rebooting a lot, wrong clock, bad phone integration, slow USB music recognition, false Bliss alarms. All electrical and all annoying. No headlight on indicator, no place to put anything in the interior (no flat spaces). Just disappointed and I would sell it back in a heartbeat, I am 100% sure of this.

Quality is generally measured by things gone wrong per 1,000 vehicles. The increase in TGW was due in great measure to the entertainment/sync/nav systems and the new transmission. Many of the opened repair orders should not have been an issue if these systems were explained to new owners. If sales personnel had demonstrated the new technology, many would not have gone back to service with misunderstandings and concerns. Some problems legit but many of the TGW were just not knowing the features and understanding the technology.

So, Ford should have made it more reliable, understandable and had sales personnel demonstrate it better and they would still be up at the top tier in quality measurements.

• 1 month later...

What do you folks think of the dual 4-way controllers on the steering wheel for the two instrument screens around the speedo?

Do you ever hit them inadvertently while turning the wheel?

Ford could have made it simpler with one controller and a toggle switch to select right cluster or left cluster similar to the way side mirror controls work. You switch control to drivers side mirror, move it how you want then switch to pass side mirror and move it with the same controller.

What do you folks think of the dual 4-way controllers on the steering wheel for the two instrument screens around the speedo?

Love the controls. And no, I don't hit the switches while turning the wheel.

I haven't had any issues with the MFT system... although I only have 300 km on my rig so far. Wish there was a mute button on the wheel though... and I can't figure out how to add/remove favourite sat radio stations!!!

Love the controls. And no, I don't hit the switches while turning the wheel.

I agree with you there; I love them too and have no problems with them.

I haven't had any issues with the MFT system... although I only have 300 km on my rig so far. Wish there was a mute button on the wheel though... and I can't figure out how to add/remove favourite sat radio stations!!!

You do it the same way. Push and hold a reset until it sets, usually just a few seconds.

Ford could have made it simpler with one controller and a toggle switch to select right cluster or left cluster similar to the way side mirror controls work. You switch control to drivers side mirror, move it how you want then switch to pass side mirror and move it with the same controller.

Those controllers and their associated screens are one of the few things Ford got right as far as the infotainment system goes.

I agree. Just saying that they could have eliminated one of them by having a left/right toggle above the remaining D-pad.

They could have but why make an extra step to always have to toggle between the two. I like the way they are laid out and I've never hit them by mistake while turning the steering wheel. I don't see how they can get in the way.

They could have but why make an extra step to always have to toggle between the two. I like the way they are laid out and I've never hit them by mistake while turning the steering wheel. I don't see how they can get in the way.

They should have made one of those a depress-able scroll wheel for scanning through long lists. I hate having to click through pages with a tiny arrow on the Nav screen when searching for something like a contact or music.

They should have made one of those a depress-able scroll wheel for scanning through long lists. I hate having to click through pages with a tiny arrow on the Nav screen when searching for something like a contact or music.

I've never used the steering wheel buttons to navigate. That would be more painful than the touch screen!

update: grammer

Edited by wilsons66604